Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 12:17 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
When I visit my FIL in Europe, they live about 30 yards from a commuter train. You almost *never* hear it. You're more likely to see it before you hear it.

Here, I live 1 mile from a U of RR tracks, the trains themselves I wouldn't hear, it's the damned horns they have to toot at every crossing. Build some rail lines with overpasses and I'll welcome it into my 'hood in a heartbeat.

I think this *can* work, but it has to be extensive, and it has to really aim at connecting all the neighborhoods. That we've planned so poorly in this city until now is not an excuse to continue going that route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 12:22 PM

418 posts, read 1,240,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satexan77 View Post
-1 here

These systems work best in population dense areas like NYC and Chicago. San Antonio is much more about homes, not high-rise condo's. Plus like anything else no one would want the train going thru their neighborhood. HOV lanes yes long overdue and I think it would encourage more car pooling. Also buses would use the HOV lanes perhaps making the bus commute faster than driving in some areas. Spend that money to aviod toll lanes instead of a light rail pipedream that wouldnt get better ridership than the bus.
I second that. It is a joke that a bus has to wait on single-occupant vehicles on any highway, especially during rush-hours. Why ride a bus if they too get stuck in traffic?

Old 03-23-2008, 12:29 PM

361 posts, read 925,021 times
San Antonio only wants one because "well other cities have one and it's not fair unless we have one too" in a pout-fest.

We don't need one. Via works fine, doesn't require construction, more bonds for more city debt we can't afford, and eminent domain to build the tracks.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:36 PM

378 posts, read 1,442,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock's Beard View Post
San Antonio only wants one because "well other cities have one and it's not fair unless we have one too" in a pout-fest.

We don't need one. Via works fine, doesn't require construction, more bonds for more city debt we can't afford, and eminent domain to build the tracks.
Yeah that's what were saying oh. And here I though we were just talking about how we need a better alternative source of transportation so when gas goes to a undesirable amount we can use this as a loop hole. but no were talking about this cause were all spoiled brats that are jealous of our big brother. ohh thats it oh. thanks for the correction.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:53 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun-Soo View Post
Could a metro subway work in San Antonio?...

It COULD work, but San Antonio and a relatively-backwards City Council don't deem it necessary. We've now turned down a formal light-rail system three times (with Houston then getting it on the last SA refusal).

For a city that's growing so incredibly fast and with a traffic problem mounting on an insane level, it's insipid that anyone would balk at either an express lane toll-system or light rail. I don't think that a VIA-based automatic bus system (on actual rubber wheels) is enough, as we need this to eventually carry people to/from the airport to downtown.

The more this city refuses to progress, the worse that living conditions will be for all of us. That's the bottom line.

BN

Old 03-23-2008, 08:09 PM

483 posts, read 1,563,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
It COULD work, but San Antonio and a relatively-backwards City Council don't deem it necessary. We've now turned down a formal light-rail system three times (with Houston then getting it on the last SA refusal).
Huh??

Old 03-23-2008, 09:31 PM

378 posts, read 1,442,441 times
there was a rail line proposal for SA-H too.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
Yeah that's what were saying oh. And here I though we were just talking about how we need a better alternative source of transportation so when gas goes to a undesirable amount we can use this as a loop hole. but no were talking about this cause were all spoiled brats that are jealous of our big brother. ohh thats it oh. thanks for the correction.

I am referring to the city itself. Every time some politico talks about it, he/she can't go five minutes without saying "well Dallas and Houston have one."

If you're serious about saving gas, ride the bus. It goes more places than a light rail will, is already in place, and the light rail sure as hell won't be any cheaper to ride.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
there was a rail line proposal for SA-H too.
Intrastate high-speed rail in Texas has been and will continue to be vigorously opposed by a certain Dallas-based airline with orange and blue planes.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Intrastate high-speed rail in Texas has been and will continue to be vigorously opposed by a certain Dallas-based airline with orange and blue planes.
High-speed rails to shorten the gap between south Texas and the rest of the world is something I'd be interested in, but you're right and SW Airlines keeps running interference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio