Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 09:09 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,008,700 times

Advertisements

I like San Antonio because it has a smaller feel than the other big cities. If you are in a nice area you shouldn't have to worry about crime. What is your budget for a townhome?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 07:07 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,120,016 times
Gated communities make a dent in that property crime issue.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:09 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
Gated communities make a dent in that property crime issue.
My gated, North side neighborhood has seen a car stolen from a garage, a carjacking in someone's driveway and no shortage of minor vehicle burglaries. That's why I'm convinced there is no avoiding it. In neighborhoods around mine, hardly a week goes by where someone isn't posting still camera pics on Nextdoor of suspicious people looking into parked cars in the middle of the night.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:41 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
There is no excaping crime. This is sure, as sure as will people misspell words there will be crime everyplace.
If there is a way to get around doing honest work and a quick easy way to make money without work, people will find it. Whether there is a drug habit or not.
A gated neighborhood merely makes the process more difficult. This is not to say a gated neighborhood will be as secured as Fort Knox, Kentucky of course, but a gate and a wall makes any crime more difficult to execute. Communities with a guard at the gate will be even more secure.
The underbelly of society in San Antonio, criminals, plan crimes, it is not a random process. The walls are not bulletproof and can be easily scaled by a person in good physical condition. If there is a gate, it slows the process down. Criminals looking for an opportunity in the neighborhood are slowed- obstructed by walls and gate.
It does become a more random process then; to commit a property crime. Seedy people can have access
through relatives or some other process to get inside, it is merely a little more difficult.
It depends on how desperate they are and if they are risk takers or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
My gated, North side neighborhood has seen a car stolen from a garage, a carjacking in someone's driveway and no shortage of minor vehicle burglaries. That's why I'm convinced there is no avoiding it. In neighborhoods around mine, hardly a week goes by where someone isn't posting still camera pics on Nextdoor of suspicious people looking into parked cars in the middle of the night.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
while SA may be a good choice in TX.... for starting a new law career, TX will have significant barriers (good-ole-boy-club). We keep property there, but challenges exist (businesses, lawyers, contractors, schools...)

For another Income tax free state that is virtually 'barrier free' (social / cultural / financial) Washington State ... a climate similar to England +/-... AND... FREE FT college instead of High School (Excellent for moving to a new area during HS) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Start Can't say enough good for RS program since my kids paid their own way through college. They had excellent experiences and were DONE with college and well employed by age 20 (undergrad).

Will need to check for your law specialties...
Some excellent areas of WA are: (Choose your favorite climate, there are MANY)
Vancouver / Camas (Next door to sales tax free Portland (PDX is excellent airport within 15 minutes))
Olympia
Bellingham / Ferndale
Wenatchee
Walla Walla
Spokane Valley (adjacent to ID)

If you go to WA,,, you will THANK me in Aug - Oct!!!! (Texas is murder on HEAT!!!)
water? plenty of water in WA!!! (not so in much of USA)

Hint: while traveling the world with our homeschoolers... we stayed in Home School Guest Homes (Free to $20 / night including meals!) It is GREAT, staying with locals gets you the STRAIGHT scoop! and is very fun and educational for the family.

Thousands of excellent stays during last 30 yrs. (usually farms by choice)

Our homeschool group, and several of my favorites are not listed here, but you will find / get referred to them when you start staying!
https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange (Never used couchsurfing)

Old 02-16-2018, 03:06 PM

814 posts, read 676,702 times
Washington is not bad, east of the mountains. Electricity is almost free due to the hydro and no homeless and their lefty enablers like the more coastal cities. And lots and lots of local berries.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:32 AM

20 posts, read 38,369 times
Great info. Thanks all.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:36 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
If someone steals a car from inside an garage in an gated community, they must really want it!

That being said, it goes to show that gated communities are mostly a false sense of security. The pizza guy, UPS guy, FEDEX guy, etc...probably all know the codes.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:10 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,438,175 times
The main idea of the gate, at least in my community, isn't so much to keep bad people out, it is to force them to stop at the gates to get good video of at least their vehicle, if not them.
Not that it matters, it seems like property crime is extremely low priority here.
It also makes it slightly more difficult to get in, which might make it a slightly less desirable target.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:30 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,686 times
People "piggyback" all the time. They don't stop. Yes, you're right, property crime is plentiful and a low priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio