Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 09:37 PM

658 posts, read 722,918 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure if I should post this here for those who might have kids at Love To Swim School or in the Current Events area.

https://www.expressnews.com/news/loc...d-12605876.php

I don't know what to even say. They were having a routine "Date Night" where for I think about $20 you can drop a child off for 2 or 3 hours and spend time with your spouse. The kids are supposed to have pizza and play and swim. I don't know what the set up is or what the ratio of caregivers are to kids. I know in the water they have a "two second rule" which means they can't lose sight of any child in the water for more than two seconds. So what was this child doing in the water but no one was watching him? He's only THREE. I am shocked and angry because the school's whole existence is supposed to be about preventing drownings.

Does anyone have kids who go to this school? Will you allow them to keep going or look for another swim school?

Also, if anyone's aware of a GoFundMe or anything for this family please post it.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:05 AM

61,751 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
I wasn't sure if I should post this here for those who might have kids at Love To Swim School or in the Current Events area.

https://www.expressnews.com/news/loc...d-12605876.php

I don't know what to even say. They were having a routine "Date Night" where for I think about $20 you can drop a child off for 2 or 3 hours and spend time with your spouse. The kids are supposed to have pizza and play and swim. I don't know what the set up is or what the ratio of caregivers are to kids. I know in the water they have a "two second rule" which means they can't lose sight of any child in the water for more than two seconds. So what was this child doing in the water but no one was watching him? He's only THREE. I am shocked and angry because the school's whole existence is supposed to be about preventing drownings.

Does anyone have kids who go to this school? Will you allow them to keep going or look for another swim school?

Also, if anyone's aware of a GoFundMe or anything for this family please post it.
I don't understand the mentality of some parents. Drop off a 3 year old at a swimming school AND leave???
What parent with a right mind would do that?
Most places REQUIRE parents to remain in the venue premises for the duration of the lesson.

There is not only the school to blame....

However, I don't see such requirements on their website. Perhaps there is another Rule Book handed to the parents.
https://love-to-swim.com/uploads/Lov..._6-19-2014.pdf

Last edited by elnina; 02-12-2018 at 04:35 AM..

Old 02-12-2018, 04:57 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,045,611 times
It's being called a tragic accident. Those happen in this life. It's awful, horrible, devastating, unbelievable, and horrific. Assigning blame is useless at this point. They aren't suspecting foul play and any caregiver would be tormented for life if this happened on their watch. I feel terribly for the family and they will be forever changed.

There are no guarantees here. Hug your loved ones.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:06 AM

587 posts, read 225,555 times
Its very sad....... Very unresponsible of thier parents...........

Why??? -- I have no idea why ppl act the way they do now -- They are so out of it.....

Poor little one

Old 02-12-2018, 05:44 AM

898 posts, read 2,564,035 times
My wife has been taking our son to the baby splash class at this location for the past few months. She is of course always in the pool with him, but we’ve always been impressed with the staff and it’s really surprising this happened here. I’m not sure how he made it into the pool area, it’s not like they allowed the kids to wander around that place. Just sad all around.

Also, it’s annoying when people get on their high horse about other people’s kids. How dare those parents want some time for themselves? Every employee here was trained to prevent these types of things.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:55 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,784,667 times
A child died, let’s not get so wrapped up on the parents.

Isn’t the business a “preschool” as a whole where kids do get dropped off there?

On another note, when I was elementary age my mom used to just drop me off at the city pool and drive off.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:06 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,318,985 times
We live in a world, where people love to shame and blame without even knowing the facts. And to blame the parents? How horrific. Imagine the devastation from this horrific accident. Say a prayer for this family. Anyone blaming the parents. How awful.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:53 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,034,474 times
My two siblings learned to swim at the Churchill Estates location. Being the paranoid Russian I am, I never let my eyes off of them for longer than 2 seconds, even when engaged in conversation with the other parents and guardians. My siblings made it out with happy memories and strong swimming skills and I am grateful for Love to Swim for instilling that in them. It is a tragedy what happened here. Security cameras should be able to elucidate the sequence of events that led to this.

Placing even one iota of blame on the parents is absolutely heartbreaking here. They trusted Love to Swim to take the best care of their child, as I would have. My family never took part in Saturday night date nights because they had me to watch over the kids on Saturday nights but if Love to Swim were our only option, we definitely would not have hesitated. Swimming on a Saturday night in a warm pool in the middle of February? Pizza and games? What kid WOULDN'T love that?

We don't know what happened here and we should refrain from placing vitriolic blame on anyone here. Mourn the loss and learn the lessons.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:58 AM

603 posts, read 445,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
A child died, let’s not get so wrapped up on the parents.

Isn’t the business a “preschool” as a whole where kids do get dropped off there?

On another note, when I was elementary age my mom used to just drop me off at the city pool and drive off.

At least your mom saw you to your destination, mine made me take the bus.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:02 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,784,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIL9 View Post
At least your mom saw you to your destination, mine made me take the bus.
I lived in a small town where there was no such thing as VIA. She was willing to drop us off for a few hours of her own time and I lived to tell everyone about it today. Let the helicopter parents of today judge her for that...but I see nothing wrong with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio