Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 07:52 PM

269 posts, read 181,608 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I got an offer to work at Sam Houston base, and looking for recommendations and insights. I understand there been other threads regarding this topic but all of them are outdated. Plus this will pertain specifically to me

I'm moving from DC after 2.5 years. Obviously a lot of things to like abt DC, but I'm done with the cold, high rent, communists, and people taking themselves too seriously. Plus this job will be a promotion.

Regarding rent, what's are good places to rent? I prefer urban setting, highrise apt, and at least 1/1 for under $1500. Preferably no more than 30 mins drive to work. I'm a professional single gay guy in late 30s that enjoy being within walking distance to bars/restaurants if that helps

Regarding The city, is there like a Vietnamese district? I can't live without this eating pho lol. I'm an avid tennis player, are there a lot of free parks to play? Good country bars? From researching on internet and YouTube, SA looks very un cosmopolitan (not many high rises, few ppl walking around downtown, etc). But ppl that visited says it pretty?

Any tips and insights will be awesome! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 08:08 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
If you want to get away from Communists moving here won't help. You're moving to the wrong place.
Just ask our local poster -Soviet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis32801 View Post
Hi all,

I got an offer to work at Sam Houston base, and looking for recommendations and insights. I understand there been other threads regarding this topic but all of them are outdated. Plus this will pertain specifically to me

I'm moving from DC after 2.5 years. Obviously a lot of things to like abt DC, but I'm done with the cold, high rent, communists, and people taking themselves too seriously. Plus this job will be a promotion.

Regarding rent, what's are good places to rent? I prefer urban setting, highrise apt, and at least 1/1 for under $1500. Preferably no more than 30 mins drive to work. I'm a professional single gay guy in late 30s that enjoy being within walking distance to bars/restaurants if that helps

Regarding The city, is there like a Vietnamese district? I can't live without this eating pho lol. I'm an avid tennis player, are there a lot of free parks to play? Good country bars? From researching on internet and YouTube, SA looks very un cosmopolitan (not many high rises, few ppl walking around downtown, etc). But ppl that visited says it pretty?

Any tips and insights will be awesome! Thanks

Old 02-22-2018, 11:21 PM

343 posts, read 307,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
If you want to get away from Communists moving here won't help. You're moving to the wrong place.
Just ask our local poster -Soviet.
I'm not tryna offend this cat but he crazy... Wait for other responses.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:54 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,576 times
Look around the Pearl or Southtown. Downtown San Antonio is very bustling. San Antonio has the most vibrant downtown of any Texas city. Sorry Austin, I lived there for 10 years and the San Antonio core is still more vibrant from sunrise to sunset. Austin gets very bustling at nighttime mostly. Plenty of Pho places to satisfy your fix and a Google search will serve you best there. Also, a good friend plays tennis for free at Trinity University and the McFarlin Tennis Center.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:15 PM

269 posts, read 181,608 times
Good to hear abt downtown. I couldn't tell from searching YouTube.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:02 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,120,016 times
Most Asian part of town is going to be near the med center.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:54 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
I went to the emergency room of a local hospital with a bad case of the shingles a couple of years ago. A team of four Doctors were attending me I was raising so much hell in the place.
The lead Doctor, a Cardiologist and highly respected man in the hospital told me that -"You Have a Type A personality and are neurotic."
" The hell you say?"
" I stand by What I said." He replied.
My Dentist and Chiropractor laughed at this news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
I'm not tryna offend this cat but he crazy... Wait for other responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio