Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2018, 09:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,030 times

Advertisements

We are going to relocate to SA medical center area, and would like to ask for some suggestions on safe neighborhood that's within 20 minutes driving, ideally within 10 minutes and have a good private school nearby for K and toddler.

Our budget is less than $600K, ideally around $300K, but can increase our budget if there is a signficant better choice on safety and schools.

We are interested in good public school too, but both children birthday slightly over Sept 1 cutpoint.

Any suggestions on safe neighbourhood close to medical center and any good private school will be appreciated.

We investigated Helotes and Olmos Park, but think that Helotes can be a little too far and Olmos Park houses a little too small. We are used to a 4-5 bedroom house.

Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 09:40 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Northside ISD is the district medical center is in. It’s one of the top districts in the city, you can’t go wrong with any home within a 20 minutes drive within your budget. The search tool is your friend. You’ll find much if what you’re asking has already been asked and answered. Search “medical center” and the zip codes in the area -78229, 78240, 78249, 78231 and 78213.

Actually, let me add...going south within that 20 minute bubble you’ll hit downtown and then San Antonio ISD. They have some great magnet programs but I’d probably investigate private schools as an option if you buy/rent in SAISD. Going east you’ll also hit northeast ISD which is perfectly fine and competes with NISD.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 03-17-2018 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: Adding more detail

Old 03-18-2018, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,030 times
Thanks a lot for your reply. I am wondering whether there are any places that has 2-3 options for Montessori schools and private schools in between medical center and the neighourhood. I see crime rates are quite high getting closer to the medical center.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:36 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,686 times
Some crimes are just frequent all over SA. especially theft. It's terrible.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:18 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018SAMC View Post
Thanks a lot for your reply. I am wondering whether there are any places that has 2-3 options for Montessori schools and private schools in between medical center and the neighourhood. I see crime rates are quite high getting closer to the medical center.
Based on your budget I don’t think you’ll need to worry about crime. As someone else mentioned, some things are always around. There are pockets of the medical center that can be a bit shady but you can spot those very easily and are ydtally apartment complexes.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:28 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,512 times
Rogers Ranch, 78258, does have a Montessori school in the neighborhood. It’s about 20 minutes to the Medical Center except possibly during heavy rush hour. Not sure of other Montessori or private schools between there and the Med Center. Prices around $400k. Good public schools although split between NISD and NEISD. Farther into 78258 you can find prices in the $300k range but during rush hour it will be a bit over a 30 minute drive.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:46 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Check out Oak Hills in 78229, right by medical center and about 10 mins away from the Montessori school on Wurzbach rd.

Plenty of high end (but older) homes. If you want to stay in NISD then you will have to buy a home on the north side of Callaghan Rd as the ones south of Callaghan Rd are SAISD.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:38 PM

64 posts, read 123,436 times
I haven't lived in my hometown of San Antonio for about 13 years, so I can't really comment on the real estate question. But if you can afford it, the best private school in San Antonio (and one of the best in the nation--I think it was Forbes or some similar publication that ranked it the most challenging private high school in the nation a couple of years back) is Keystone School in Monte Vista (close to Olmos Park). It used to be a K-12 school, but I think they now offer preschool as well. It's a wonderful school. Small class sizes, very bright and highly-motivated students, incredible ethnic diversity. It's also NOT faith-based, which is something of a rarity. Keystone Private School - San Antonio, Texas (TX)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio