Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 03:10 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,790 times

Advertisements

Hey, rynetwo: Here's another vent for you.

Anyway for the rest of the gang, you have to love this one.

I am entering the MARC building parking lot on Floyd Curl. You get your ticket and drive into it. The path is clearly marked and at the end of the lane, there is a big overhead sign that says: DO NOT ENTER. In that lane there are a series of posts that you cannot drive through. Next to the posts is one those circular DO NOT ENTER signs. So a big white van sees this and the driver goes around the posts into the one way out exit lane. Of course, he or she comes head to head with leaving traffic. Now the driver can't back up as other traffic in the entry lane has pulled in. San Antonio traffic hilarity ensues.

Just for repetition - at the 1604 and Bandera intersection the other day, another crash of idiots trying to beat the turn signals.

Just venting! For your amusement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 04:55 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
Hey, rynetwo: Here's another vent for you.

Anyway for the rest of the gang, you have to love this one.

I am entering the MARC building parking lot on Floyd Curl. You get your ticket and drive into it. The path is clearly marked and at the end of the lane, there is a big overhead sign that says: DO NOT ENTER. In that lane there are a series of posts that you cannot drive through. Next to the posts is one those circular DO NOT ENTER signs. So a big white van sees this and the driver goes around the posts into the one way out exit lane. Of course, he or she comes head to head with leaving traffic. Now the driver can't back up as other traffic in the entry lane has pulled in. San Antonio traffic hilarity ensues.

Just for repetition - at the 1604 and Bandera intersection the other day, another crash of idiots trying to beat the turn signals.

Just venting! For your amusement!
Umm this thread is about rear end collisions and not almost head on collisions.

That said, maybe the van driver was illiterate or can’t read English? I hear that is a major problem here.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:35 PM

19 posts, read 23,347 times
This post is funny, I just got rear-ended two days ago! It's the fourth time I've been rear-ended since I bought the car back in 2009. Every time, the bumper bends down, and there's two brackets they have to replace. I'm a cheap bastard, so my car has 165k miles. This time, I just let the person go, didn't care...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
So....how do you drive defensively against an inattentive driver?
Having spent the past 20 years in South Florida, rear-end collisions are far more common than they are here in Texas. The traffic, and the drivers are... "WORLDS" better than the people who drive in South Florida. Don't get me wrong, I love SoFla.

Anyway... best thing to do is to leave lots of room in front of you. That way, if there's an emergency stop that needs to happen... you can slow down far more slowly, thus not limiting the damage, or giving outright more room for the person behind you to stop.

I've avoided many rear-enders that way. I see someone coming, they look up last minute, slam on their brakes, and I start easing forward... ending up with just a tap, and there-by not hitting the person in front of me.

Once, in my brand new Pontiac Solstice (back in 2006). I was stopped at a light, and this car is coming over the hell fast. Slams on his brakes and he's sliding forward at a very high rate of speed. I see him coming and I pull off to the side, somewhat in the middle of the intersection. The guy (with tires still screeching from the brakes), flys well-past the intersection, and he lets off and kind of cruises. SAVED my ass... and his insurance. Had I not been at the front of the line at the stop light (and not been paying attention to my surroundings), I wouldn't have been able to get out of the way.

Luckily, no one was hit... not even him as he flew through the intersection. He let up once he realized he was already in the intersection and no point left to brake.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:04 AM

In mine, I was stopped on 1604/I-10 interchange on 1604 itself. I had enough room in front of me. However, the person who caused the accident, hit the stopped SUV in back of me with such force that it drove the SUV into mine with enough force to total my car and mess me up quite a darn bit. No way to avoid that one. Glad that you managed to.

When I used to go to S. Florida, the fun drivers were ancient folks driving the biggest American sedan you could find right down the middle of double yellow lines. I think they used it for navigational aids. It was either at 5 mph or 500 mph. They could barely see over the top of the dash.

As an aside, I had to go to the bank there and saw an older gentleman drop stop cold dead at the ATM in front. Let loose his urine, etc. Folks ran to help but he looked DEAD. I went in side a bit shaken and the bank person I had to deal with, said it happens all the time there.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:53 AM

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...n-12893452.php

That's why I avoid this section of road now if at all possible. It's horrible.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:03 AM

73 posts, read 71,934 times
most common cause for accidents - Texting an Driving and scrolling through your FB. Unbelievable. People here drive like absolute maniacs and have no regard for the law of safety of others. In other places people are afraid to touch their phone while driving - here is like a walk in the park. I see people driving super fast on the highway while looking at their phones. Killers on the road. 3,500 people per year are killed in motor vehicle accidents across TX. Do the authorities do anything about it? NO
does the Police or County do anything about it? No. I used to think that some people are just plain stupid but now I;m convinced that they are demented. its so sad to see so many people with such few brain cells.
The authorities refuse to enforce that law. Unripped mozzarela cheese is tougher than Texas law.
Seriously, whats up with folks driving these Mustangs / Chargers / Camaros with big rattling exhaust pipes-making lots of noise-sounding like a woodpecker on a chimney- but the vehicles are not moving fast. It's comical. lots of noise, no substance.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:04 PM

Went by another one on 1604 access road near Blanco. As an aside, 1604 on the North side is becoming intolerable at rush hour. As the city grows in that direction, it will only get worse. If they build more lanes, they will fill up as soon as completed.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:51 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Yeah, I don’t even know how to fix 1604. Just avoid rush hour, that’s my best guess.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:54 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,154 times
Pro tip for going east on 1604 from I-10 W during rush hour, which we frequently have to do (morning rush) for medical appointments, etc. Take the La Cantera exit, take La Cantera to Vance-Jackson, cross over 1604, take the EB frontage road, then the on ramp to 1604. Cuts off all the congestion at 1604 and 10, and puts you on 1604 past most of the backups.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:18 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,501,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Pro tip for going east on 1604 from I-10 W during rush hour, which we frequently have to do (morning rush) for medical appointments, etc. Take the La Cantera exit, take La Cantera to Vance-Jackson, cross over 1604, take the EB frontage road, then the on ramp to 1604. Cuts off all the congestion at 1604 and 10, and puts you on 1604 past most of the backups.
Dangit!
Don't let out those secrets!
Since that is a major intersection, I wonder when do we get that big cloverleaf like 1604 and 281?
Long overdue. At least fix the roads that the quarry trucks destroy...it's terrible in many spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio