Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 12:19 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times

Advertisements

On days of extreme summer temps, my central air runs almost non-stop and still can’t keep up. House temp gets up to 78 or more. Unit checks out as working and appropriate size.

Would a window unit help? Thinking of installing one in the central living area. Anyone ever done this?

Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 01:10 PM

61,719 posts, read 87,123,005 times
It might help if you run it along the A/C.
Floor fans use way less energy than A/C.
BTW: is your A/C the proper size for your house? Are all your filters (incl.the unit filter) clean? What about freon? Did you check if you have enough?
When was it the last time your A/C was serviced?
Perhaps you need a more efficient unit?
Is the house properly sealed?

Last edited by elnina; 07-21-2018 at 01:52 PM..

Old 07-21-2018, 01:44 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
My central ac went out a couple of years ago in the middle of summer. I used this portable window ac in the living room and it kept the living room about 81 to 83 degrees. It was also fairly quiet and I'd keep the room as dark as I could and it stayed pretty comfortable.

If you go to Amazon and in the search box type in EdgeStar AP12005 Portable air conditioner with humidifier and fan for rooms up to 425 square feet and you'll see it. I'm not comfortable posting a link.

That ac served its purpose and I was really thankful for it that summer. I have no problem reccomending it. I could have moved it from room to room but it was too much of a hassle to move it around so I just used it in the living room.

In the bedroom I used a couple of tower fans and the ceiling fan and it stayed pretty cool when I would sleep.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 07-21-2018 at 02:02 PM..

Old 07-21-2018, 01:54 PM

Tip:
If you can - get it from Costco. I just saw few models yesterday. They have excellent customer service and no hassle return policy in case you don't like it or something gets wrong.

Re link/suggestion above:
For $5 more you can get the same brand, but 14,000 BTU at Walmart.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EdgeStar-...&wl13=&veh=sem

Old 07-21-2018, 02:06 PM

1,087 posts, read 782,498 times
You may try to get a seeping water hose from Home Depot, and wrap it on you window AC unit. Does it work? Water evaporation sucks up a lot heat around (do not cover up too much of your AC) , and if you get your AC wet in anyway then your AC will work more efficiently. You'll see an immediate difference. Stay cool and enjoy the redneck solution.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
You may try to get a seeping water hose from Home Depot, and wrap it on you window AC unit. Does it work? Water evaporation sucks up a lot heat around (do not cover up too much of your AC) , and if you get your AC wet in anyway then your AC will work more efficiently. You'll see an immediate difference. Stay cool and enjoy the redneck solution.
Haha...
A propos redneck tips:
I remember once the A/C broke at my work. It was one of those miserable, hot San Antonio Summers. There was some big problem with the A/C that couldn't be resolved in a day. We suffered dearly. Paperwork stuck to the sweaty arms, we moved in a slow motion, everyone was trying to survive the day .
The next day I brought two of those styrofoam coolers - made holes on the sides, a cooler full of ice and two round floor fans. Filled the buckets with ice and put the fans upside-down on the top of each of the coolers....
I never saw so many people in my office. Some I didn't even knew. Made new friends too. And all that because of the redneck project.
It made the office pretty cool!
They all said, the Polish are so darn inventive, but I got it from the Internet. Didn't told them, thought...

Old 07-21-2018, 04:38 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Yes, and you'd be surprised how many houses actually have window units helping the central units cool a house down. One of our national home builders is notorious for doing calcs on their plans for the IDEAL location meaning the east-west orientation and window placements. It works for those houses but set a house on a lot that doesn't have the same orientation and it falls apart. Probably your situation. I would not suggest a small unit like a 5-6000btus unit. It will do nothing but run non-stop and the utility bill will be high. And it's not going to help much. Get a decent size unit, like 14-16,000 btu unit that is 110 volt capable. It will all but idle keeping the central unit from running non-stop. It also will come in handy when the current central unit fails. Might consider this one. It's highly rated at HD, is 100 volt, Energy Star, and the energy guide on it is real good.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elect...16ER/206520622

Old 07-21-2018, 06:52 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It might help if you run it along the A/C.
Floor fans use way less energy than A/C.
BTW: is your A/C the proper size for your house? Are all your filters (incl.the unit filter) clean? What about freon? Did you check if you have enough?
When was it the last time your A/C was serviced?
Perhaps you need a more efficient unit?
Is the house properly sealed?
This house (22 years old) has never cooled effectively. It’s only a problem during times of extreme heat, like now. Unit is about 8 years old. I’ve been told several times that everything is fine. I think I may have some areas where house is not sealed properly. In the winter, we can feel cold air around some of the windows.

Thanks to all for your help. Stay cool. Be glad when this weather breaks.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:53 PM

814 posts, read 676,477 times
Be careful with the large 110VAC units. If the house wiring is too long a run or too small a gauge it will fail after a season or two. If it struggles to start, and lights dim a bit on start up then it is doomed.

I had an old house once that needed a window unit booster in my upstairs office. Small one did a good job. The 90 lb expensive big one was a bad idea.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:22 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Haha...
A propos redneck tips:
I remember once the A/C broke at my work. It was one of those miserable, hot San Antonio Summers. There was some big problem with the A/C that couldn't be resolved in a day. We suffered dearly. Paperwork stuck to the sweaty arms, we moved in a slow motion, everyone was trying to survive the day .
The next day I brought two of those styrofoam coolers - made holes on the sides, a cooler full of ice and two round floor fans. Filled the buckets with ice and put the fans upside-down on the top of each of the coolers....
I never saw so many people in my office. Some I didn't even knew. Made new friends too. And all that because of the redneck project.
It made the office pretty cool!
They all said, the Polish are so darn inventive, but I got it from the Internet. Didn't told them, thought...
I don't quite understand ... You get a styrofoam cooler, then put a bucket of ice inside it? Or the ice goes directly in the cooler?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: