Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 11:12 AM

1,514 posts, read 891,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I've seen an ad for the Pizza Hut call center. The hours you're available are probably their peak hours. The pay is probably pretty low, though.

Good luck and thank you for your service.
This was a thought. Still a possible option. The problem as you accurately said is the pay is low unless one gets tips. I actually called both Pizza hut and Papa Johns after your post.

Pizza Hut is minimum wage at $7.25 an hour and $1.25 per delivery plus tip if they tip.
Papa Johns is also minimum wage at $7.25 per hour and $1.40 per delivery plus tip.

My concern was, wear and tear on vehicle, not having my insurance give me my full coverage and replace full vehicle if I get into an accident (I think the Pizza places only provide liablity) and constantly getting in and out of my vehicle, going up stairs and things because of my back issue.

I still may do all that though. There is a Pizza Hut hiring near medical center that is right near where I go to everyday. Maybe someone who was a recent former pizza delivery person can chime in and offer insight into how much they get tipped on average and how much their average pay is per hour. I may just suck up the wear and tear issue both on my car and body if the hourly average pay is good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
1st, look ONLY at companies / places that close by 8PM (unless self employed / Uber...)

Libraries and some 'sit-down' food places come to mind.

Possibly Hotel (busy time of day)

I did Janitor work for schools and phone company during those hours (while I was in HS).

Costco closes at 8:30 and hire PT and provides some benefits.
Library may be good, sit down food places would require me to be on my feet all shift making the back act up. Janitorial work, I believe would be the same. Havent seen any Cotsco openings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Have you thought about working as a security guard? Your military experience would make you a good candidate, and you can find part time posts and posts where you can sit. Security companies often have contracts for a few hours a day somewhere, and the full time guards won't want to take those posts if they can just do a straight 8 hours somewhere else. It's not necessarily a stressful job. You might be sitting in your car at a construction site, or sitting at a desk in an office building.
This is a possibility. I havent seen any openings for these jobs as of yet but I know they will be out there eventually. Being on my feet all the time wouldnt be good but if I could sit and get up as needed and get the hours of 4pm - 8pm (or 9/10pm) that would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It would be helpful if you tell us what you can do. E.g. computer/fixing/data entry/coding/IT, or accounting, or retail, teaching something (GED classes for drop outs or adults, private lessons for students), are you bilingual, can you fix stuff, would you work for Lowe's/HD, or apply at USAA ... etc...
I am good with computers and have a associates in computer science. Retail would be fine (I worked retail when I was younger and loved it) except it requires you to be on your feet all shift. I would love to work at Lowe's HD. Its funny you say that because I actually called HD last week and left a message on the HR persons voicemail. I left my contact info and said I was interested in a job and that if she had any positions in the store where I would be able to sit (such as vehicle rental) and stand when a customer approached. I have yet to get a response back. I have applied with HD in the past multiple times (a few years ago then a few years before that). I followed up with phone calls. After cruising the forums, they are notoriously hard to get a job with for a good number of people. I will keep trying.

I have many of USAAs products. I love USAA. Working for them would be great! Dont know if I can get the hours I want (4pm - 8/10pm) but Ill cruise their website today to see if I see any openings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 11:57 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
Rem, I have a bud, a Viet Nam vet who is disabled, that tried the pizza delivery thing. He couldn't make any money as the money he did make went into the car. There's a reason you don't see many long term pizza delivery guys- you can't make any money at it.

Depending on what and how much weight you can carry, you might consider looking into grocery delivery for HEB. They are expanding at the speed of light their delivery services. FWIW, I was reading on Yahoo News the other day where a guy was making over $100,000 delivering groceries. Don't recall the where but apparently it can be lucrative. Most likely a lot of it was in tips.

Might see what USAA has that would fit your needs. They hire a lot of vets and they pay good. The Post Office is another that hires vets and will fit the job to the disability.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:09 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
You can make way more money doing Uber or favor than delivering pizza. Plus YOU set your schedule, not the restaurant. Only down side is that it’s a 1099 and not a w2.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Rem, I have a bud, a Viet Nam vet who is disabled, that tried the pizza delivery thing. He couldn't make any money as the money he did make went into the car. There's a reason you don't see many long term pizza delivery guys- you can't make any money at it.

Depending on what and how much weight you can carry, you might consider looking into grocery delivery for HEB. They are expanding at the speed of light their delivery services. FWIW, I was reading on Yahoo News the other day where a guy was making over $100,000 delivering groceries. Don't recall the where but apparently it can be lucrative. Most likely a lot of it was in tips.

Might see what USAA has that would fit your needs. They hire a lot of vets and they pay good. The Post Office is another that hires vets and will fit the job to the disability.
Yeah, pizza delievery has a high turnover and most places are always hiring. I always wondered why. This makes sense. Fuel, tires, oil, and other maintenance items for minimum wage and the chance at tips (no guarantee) and when tips come they can be low - makes sense.

Just cruised the USAA careers section: lots of "lead" and "senior" (need experience) and director jobs. Also, couldnt find any part time jobs with USAA nor ones with the hours Im looking for.

If someone knows someone inside USAA, Home Depot or the like, please PM and pass along my information.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
You can make way more money doing Uber or favor than delivering pizza. Plus YOU set your schedule, not the restaurant. Only down side is that it’s a 1099 and not a w2.

Uber is also a consideration. Again though, the problem is with wear and tear on vehicle and needing a more expensive type of insurance for full coverage of my vehicle while commercially driving. While I understand that it verys and can be hit or miss, anyone know how much on average one makes per hour with Uber?

Old 08-16-2018, 02:18 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
For security jobs, you'd want to just call the different companies and ask if they've got anything part time in the afternoons and evenings. You won't necessarily see job postings for them but many security companies are always hiring.

I don't think you'll find any retail jobs where they'll allow you to sit.

If you do get an interview with USAA, they'll require you to wear a suit, at least my husband had to when he interviewed there 5 or 6 years ago.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:42 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
Uber is also a consideration. Again though, the problem is with wear and tear on vehicle and needing a more expensive type of insurance for full coverage of my vehicle while commercially driving. While I understand that it verys and can be hit or miss, anyone know how much on average one makes per hour with Uber?
I really think those are only huge considerations when you do it full time. In addition, if you do a food delivery service you won't have to pay for the cleaning of the inside of your car with people being in it. Uber and Lytft you would. We use Lyft at the hospital I work at up here in Austin and have gotten calls from drivers telling me our drunk patients (medically cleared of course) have puked in their cars and have asked if we pay for the cleaning. That would not happen with Favor, Door dash or Uber Eats. Just a thought.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:26 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
IKEA will hire pretty soon. Check their website for job fair calendar.
Also...
Why don't you go to Texas Workforce office (the one my friend went is on Austin Hwy close to IH35).
She was absolutely amazed how this place was helpful for her. You need to register to get access to all the perks: seminars and job placements. You also need to register to have access to their website.
They consolidate all jobs available (saves lots of time looking in different places) and print out weekly. The copy is free to take home.
Once registered, you post your resume with exact requirements, and you will get job offers delivered per email. It's very important to post EXACT requirements, so you will get job offers that fit your needs (otherwise your mailbox will get clogged).
The f/u procedure is very easy.
VA has priority on many levels.
Try that - it's free.

Don't forget to check city jobs too. (tax office, drivers license office, airport authority, city hall, jail, etc.)
https://www.sanantonio.gov/hr/CareerCenter
https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sanantoniotx

Check for Private Investigator jobs on Indeed....

Good luck!

Old 08-17-2018, 06:17 AM

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I appreciate it. I have already followed up with some of your ideas and plan to follow up on the rest shortly.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Havent seen any Cotsco openings
Ill cruise their website today to see if I see any openingsSorry, can't get jobs via cruising web 'career' sites, gotta dig deeper than that. (As you are trying to do)

anyone know how much on average one makes per hour with Uber?
During peak hrs, ~ $20 net (varies) Lyft (or both) is a better choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio