Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 11:20 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Wonder no more...it's the sting of property taxes!!
To quote Archie Bunker "What is this world coming too?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 01:30 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
The sting at the check out line and the gas pump, I wonder what is next?
A tax on wondering

Old 04-07-2008, 05:14 AM

I guess no one mind the high prices. What type of recipes people are using to cut back.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:07 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
I guess no one mind the high prices. What type of recipes people are using to cut back.

I'm not cutting back.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:15 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Same here, life is too short not to enjoy it! But just like everything else, moderation is key!

By the way, I noticed when getting gas at Wal-Mart the other day ($3.15/gal, about the lowest I have found it) that a carton of cigarettes is nearly $40! Makes me even more glad I don't smoke! Well, I do, I have a pipe; but I go through a bag of tobacco about once a year if even that much!

Cheers! M2

Old 04-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
I'm not cutting back.
I'm not either. I already shop as frugally as I feel I need to. If anything, I'm spending more on groceries than I did before because my family's consciously making an effort to eat out less often.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:33 PM

180 posts, read 794,146 times
I've always been a coupon clipper but definately more so now. Too bad noone doubles around here.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:44 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I'm not either. I already shop as frugally as I feel I need to. If anything, I'm spending more on groceries than I did before because my family's consciously making an effort to eat out less often.
Oddly enough, I went to Central Market yesterday (where I always try not to spend too much and end up spending a small fortune), and though I passed up the $15 Epoisse (yikes!), I got a lot of stuff and was sure it would be ridiculously expensive. It was about $25 less than I expected. I was sure the cashier had missed something.

In any case, I've always been fairly cost-conscious about what we buy, but that doesn't mean we forgo luxury items. We're just careful not to waste on stuff we don't really need/want - i.e., eating out - we'd rather go to La Frite once a month than Carl's Jr once a week, so we're careful to pack lunches. Don't buy a lot of processed foods that eat up the bank account and instead by items to make things from scratch.

I have a friend in France who stopped grocery shopping entirely for 2 months - they aimed to use up everything they had in their house, rely on their garden and barter for the rest. This wasn't the result of grocery price increases, however, but a desire to change their consumption-driven lifestyle (they also stopped all shopping for one year, with a few exceptions).

Old 04-07-2008, 09:37 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,954 times
Central Market... my pocket book cringes when I go there! And they didn't even have what I primarily went there for (a Japanese ginger). I do like the pemise of ethnic variety but not in stores like this though; they put things in colorful packaging and give it nice names, and then jack up the price so definitely not a fan of Whole Foods, World Market or the like... used to live close to this place with the largest variety of produce and and ethnic foods that I absolutely loved w/ cheap prices to boot! It was called Eurofresh... here's the link: Eurofresh Market. I'd buy a slew of produces, some french feta, calamata olives, great classy desserts, and fresh pig (to name a few) on the weekend and always spend a fraction of what I seem to spend at Walmart now, even for groceries so you can imagine the difference between it and the aforementioned.

I've never been a big fan of Trader Joe's either; I don't think San Antonio is missing much... little eccentric spot... not too cheap in my book, or that great, but worth an once in a while stop for their Frozen French Onion Soup or other Frozen foods assortment though Pot stickers are extremely over priced; no doubt catering to the crowd that is too finicky to stop at a small Asian grocer that doesn't carry eco-friendly bags or their fav eccentric wine, lol.

I like the idea of not food shopping entirely for a specificed duration... we do that sometimes but to a much lesser extent just to go through everything we have in the kitchen... it's fun because you get creative with the dishes/leftovers etc..

So how's that Belgian Bistro like?

For the economists of this thread to ponder on all these gas hike shenanigans our Gov't and big business like to play on the American consumers:
There Is No Gas Shortage - BusinessWeek (http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/apr2008/bw2008041_945564.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_ businessweek+exclusives#=rss - broken link) (also includes a bit from Bill Klesse of Valero in the article)

Gas prices should be doing down, not up. It's corporate greed and speculation combined with the Fed and an out of hand Executive office that's destroying the monetary worth of the USD at home and abroad.

Heck, even the video game currencies have a better exchange rate now!

7 Video Game Currencies Stronger Than the US Dollar (http://www.maxim.com/7VideoGameCurrenciesStrongerThantheUSDollar/articles/22332.aspx - broken link)

Edit:

INSULT TO INJURY:

Treasury says Bear Stearns deal 'necessary' to maintain financial stability (broken link)

Last edited by tekka-maki; 04-07-2008 at 10:28 PM..

Old 04-07-2008, 10:06 PM

Valero execs are laughing all the way to the bank and shopping limitless at Central Market and Whole foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio