Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 08:17 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,772,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I tried to keep my vehicles registered to my Texas address for as long as I could to save some money but in the last 10 years the CHP has clamped down on "Out of State Registration Violators."
It is my understanding that many were registering vehicles out of state because the California Air Resources Board (CARB) rules are more strict than EPA's own, thus making it more difficult to get certain vehicles passed.

I know many people register vehicles not intended for the US market (grey market imports, JDM, etc) that are lacking FMVSS, DOT, EPA, etc ....labels out of state. CARB doesn't like that and they are cracking down on that big time.

I am sure it doesn't help that CHP allows you to report your own neighbor if you are violating the "out of state" law or whatever it is called.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 09:25 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,828,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeFromCalif View Post
Started to look more seriously into Boerne, and it's checking a lot of our boxes. Then I started looking at property taxes. Holy crap! Property taxes of around $7k/year on a $350K place?
Get out of Boerne proper, into smaller communities with smaller school districts. Also, as noted - the Over-65 break/freeze is a significant help. They're supposed to be working on ways to reduce that impact in this legislative session, but I honestly don't know how they're going to do it without raising taxes elsewhere - the schools seem to have every excuse in the book why they continually need MORE funds.(while paying the actual TEACHERS a pittance)

Old 03-12-2019, 10:04 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,772,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Get out of Boerne proper, into smaller communities with smaller school districts. Also, as noted - the Over-65 break/freeze is a significant help. They're supposed to be working on ways to reduce that impact in this legislative session, but I honestly don't know how they're going to do it without raising taxes elsewhere - the schools seem to have every excuse in the book why they continually need MORE funds.(while paying the actual TEACHERS a pittance)
How about people stop passing the school bonds while we are at it?

Old 03-12-2019, 10:15 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,689,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Recapture. That's what's causing it. Call your represenative and ask them to get on board with the legislation which revamps the system. Property taxes will be lowered according to one of the bills.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:50 PM

19 posts, read 22,844 times
I'm doing a spreadsheet of income tax (if any), property tax, and DMV fees to get an apples to apples comparison of the states on our short list so that we can get a better idea of the bottom-line total of all of it per year.

I'm not looking at any kind of extravagant house, a simple 3/1.5/2 with an outbuilding/shop where hubby can work on his '57 truck, neighbors within screaming distance, maybe 1/3-1/2 acre. So far, average is seeming to be the low to mid-300's.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:58 PM

1,062 posts, read 979,914 times
The confiscatory and anti-ownership property taxes are why taxation is so regressive in Texas. California's taxes are relatively flat, but Texas's are very regressive. A poor to middle class person pays more in Texas

See map:

https://itep.org/whopays-map/

Old 03-12-2019, 02:05 PM

950 posts, read 1,258,536 times
Didn't anyone read the articles the San Antonio Express News has going about school funding???!!! They just had in today's paper about a bunch of teachers and others , including parents marched on the state capitol in regards to state funding of public education. Go to mysa.com, I'm sure they have it posted there. Even KSAT12 mentioned this. The majority of your property tax in Texas is school tax. I'm 62 and live in a house over 40 years old. Between Schertz city tax, and Guadalupe County tax, is my school tax. It's higher than the other two. It helps pay my salary, since i work for the school district, but still, school taxes are high everywhere here.You all really need to find those articles. I had kept them and was going to send them off to the tv show 20/20, but i think someone here at work by accident threw them out. The state has a fund for education that is made up of oil and gas revenues. Kind of long and complicated to explain, but it is a real eye opener. Plus school districts waste money like water, hiring consultants, adding to administrative costs with various positions mainly at the top,etc. and rarely at the bottom.They expect us to do more work, yet don't raise the pay but a little if at all, and then expect you to do the work of 2 or three other people.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:25 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
The confiscatory and anti-ownership property taxes are why taxation is so regressive in Texas. California's taxes are relatively flat, but Texas's are very regressive. A poor to middle class person pays more in Texas

See map:

From your article...."California’s state and local tax system does not worsen income inequality and ranks 51st on ITEP's Tax Inequality Index."

Yet people in record numbers are living in tents or in their cars, and pooping on the sidewalks. But yeah, Texas is evil.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeFromCalif View Post
I'm doing a spreadsheet of income tax (if any), property tax, and DMV fees to get an apples to apples comparison of the states on our short list so that we can get a better idea of the bottom-line total of all of it per year.

I'm not looking at any kind of extravagant house, a simple 3/1.5/2 with an outbuilding/shop where hubby can work on his '57 truck, neighbors within screaming distance, maybe 1/3-1/2 acre. So far, average is seeming to be the low to mid-300's.
Go with a 3-2-2 - in the long run, you'll be better off if you decide to resell it. Upper 200's to low/middle threes is about right in a decent area. I would still highly recommend the New Braunfels area over Boerne, though, given your wish list.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post

See map:

That doesn't begin to take into account all the other taxes/fees CA pours onto their citizens - from gas being $1+/gallon more to income taxes, etc. For example, CA taxes you $6,149 on income (that's beyond your federal taxes)......that offsets the TX property taxes quite a bit.

On a 100k/yr gross income:

CA: $70,792/net
TX: $76,941/net

In LA, for example, a $200k home will be about $2k/yr in property taxes. In Texas, about $6k/yr. (actually less, I'm pretty sure - but let's say it's that). You're paying $4k/yr more in property taxes.....but 2k/yr less in net taxes.

Funny how that works......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio