Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 08:24 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times

Advertisements

So you are asking for reduced rates because you are not as much of a burden? I wish I could do the same since I have no children at all.

You also must understand Texas isn’t a state income state so you picked the wrong state to sit on land and not claim residency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 08:54 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
What our property tax entity did to us a year ago when my husband turned 65 is raise our assessed value first, and then they applied the "over 65 exemption". So we did NOT get a property tax drop, but we did get the freeze.
Assuming you are in San Antonio, that usually takes a higher-end property that gets an assessed value increase at or near a 10% (the limit for Homesteads), given the additional exemption allowed by most entities. For example, Bexar County allows an additional $50K exemption for seniors, and City of San Antonio $65K. The school districts also allow an additional exemption.

With the above examples, it would take an increased assessment approaching $50K to cause a hike in your tax bill the first year with the Over-65 exemption.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:55 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
$20k / yr taxes in TX, so paying my fair share. (with ZERO representation)

Please enjoy the contribution
Okay - whar's mah violin?!?? You want to cry about $20k in taxes, I'm gonna say that you're either overstating or that you're a fool if you don't sell the property. Or, is it that it's property being leased to others and you're STILL making a profit on it (which is fine - but don't whine about the cost of doing business).

Old 04-21-2019, 10:48 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Assuming you are in San Antonio, that usually takes a higher-end property that gets an assessed value increase at or near a 10% (the limit for Homesteads), given the additional exemption allowed by most entities. For example, Bexar County allows an additional $50K exemption for seniors, and City of San Antonio $65K. The school districts also allow an additional exemption.

With the above examples, it would take an increased assessment approaching $50K to cause a hike in your tax bill the first year with the Over-65 exemption.
We're in Kerr County, not Bexar. Modest house (1600 sqf) with just over half an acre. After the assessed value increase we pay about the same as we did before the the increase and the over 65 exemption.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:19 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
We're in Kerr County, not Bexar. Modest house (1600 sqf) with just over half an acre. After the assessed value increase we pay about the same as we did before the the increase and the over 65 exemption.
I believe the Over-65 Exemptions are less generous in Kerr County, than they are in Bexar.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:49 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeFromCalif View Post
Started to look more seriously into Boerne, and it's checking a lot of our boxes. Then I started looking at property taxes. Holy crap! Property taxes of around $7k/year on a $350K place?
I looked into moving back to Texas and the property taxes and insurance on houses is much higher than where we live in Washington state and we also don't have income tax...so it would be a tax disadvantage for us to move to Texas.

There are a lot of different factors to look at when you decide to move somewhere, when one retires as I recently did, property tax becomes a potentially large factor.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:26 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I looked into moving back to Texas and the property taxes and insurance on houses is much higher than where we live in Washington state and we also don't have income tax...so it would be a tax disadvantage for us to move to Texas.

There are a lot of different factors to look at when you decide to move somewhere, when one retires as I recently did, property tax becomes a potentially large factor.
Idk. This says you might pay more in taxes in WA then TX when the whole picture is looked at...

Old 04-22-2019, 07:08 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Idk. This says you might pay more in taxes in WA then TX when the whole picture is looked at...
Do you have a link for that? I think everyone should do their own research and reach your own conclusions, that's what I do. I've looked at houses in different areas of Texas including San Antonio and matched as close as possible to my house in Washington state and after factoring property taxes and insurance, it would be far more expensive for me to live in Texas when it comes to housing costs and after factoring our super low utilities, there is just no economic case for us to move back to Texas.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:39 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I believe the Over-65 Exemptions are less generous in Kerr County, than they are in Bexar.

I am not surprised. Everything in Kerr is $$$.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:23 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Do you have a link for that? I think everyone should do their own research and reach your own conclusions, that's what I do. I've looked at houses in different areas of Texas including San Antonio and matched as close as possible to my house in Washington state and after factoring property taxes and insurance, it would be far more expensive for me to live in Texas when it comes to housing costs and after factoring our super low utilities, there is just no economic case for us to move back to Texas.
Sorry. Thought I included it.

https://opportunitywa.org/tax-founda...ater-april-20/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio