Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2019, 11:01 AM

570 posts, read 1,285,851 times

Advertisements

I am going to be needing a ride in the next few days to go approximately 4-5 miles.
I only need it for one way (not round trip).
I haven't used taxi service in many years and would greatly appreciate opinions and/or recommendations of which would be better.. based on security, reliability, cost ...etc.
Do they do background checks on the Drivers?

Thanks in advance for any information provided.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 12:16 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Uber/Lyft is fine for something like that. You could even do the pool option for a lower price. Just plan ahead. If it’s during rush hour/a sporting event/something special the drivers could be ”surging” the price. I’m not sure if the taxis do that. I believe everyone (even taxi drivers) do the same BG check.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:04 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
I am going to be needing a ride in the next few days to go approximately 4-5 miles.
I only need it for one way (not round trip).
I haven't used taxi service in many years and would greatly appreciate opinions and/or recommendations of which would be better.. based on security, reliability, cost ...etc.
Do they do background checks on the Drivers?

Thanks in advance for any information provided.

I use Uber all the time and have never had a problem (except that some of them use too much air freshener). Yes, they do background checks on drivers.

Do you have a smart phone, and do you have the Uber app installed and set up? This is a requirement for using the service. If not, you're probably better off with a taxi.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:05 PM

82 posts, read 103,413 times
Install both Uber and Lyft apps to compare pricing. Usually Lyft is $2-3 cheaper per ride for me.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:30 PM

562 posts, read 677,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I use Uber all the time and have never had a problem (except that some of them use too much air freshener). Yes, they do background checks on drivers.

Do you have a smart phone, and do you have the Uber app installed and set up? This is a requirement for using the service. If not, you're probably better off with a taxi.

Agree. Uber and Lyft are a hassle for me because I have to order a ride on my desktop computer, I don't have a smart phone. I simply call my cab up. Here in Indy, they are about the same price, don't know about other cab rates. I always do a round trip. I do not like Huber and Lyft for round trips, because many drivers don't like to wait while I pick up something. The wait time for Lyft is only seven minutes between stops I think. If I take longer, I will have to order a ride all over again. Cab drivers never give me that BS, and take me back.

Last edited by glenninindy; 05-30-2019 at 05:39 PM..

Old 05-30-2019, 05:54 PM

570 posts, read 1,285,851 times
Thank you for all the suggestions!
I do not have a Smart Phone. I will have to order from my Land Line, so I guess that probably means "Taxi" is my only choice.
I have already looked up Yellow Cab from my desk top computer,.. putting in the miles.
As I said it is only approximately 4-5 miles (from where I live to the Medical Center).
I'm not going to downtown area or to any kind of event.
It will be around noon on a Friday, which means there may be more traffic with all the medical folks going to lunch and I believe they charge for the time as well as the miles, so if the Lunch Bunch traffic slows the trip a little, it will probably cost more. I am correct?

Old 05-30-2019, 06:27 PM

562 posts, read 677,085 times
Yellow Cab is 25 cents every 36 seconds extra wait or hold-up time.. But that's in Chicago. Go to YellowCab .com. Do you have other local Cabs there less expensive? My Cab here is 30 cents for 60 seconds (a minute) extra wait time. You can call the Taxi services in your area and ask how their drive and extra wait times compare to each other in minutes or seconds. If there is flooding, or an accident holding up traffic, or a train crossing stop, etc., my Taxi doesn't charge time for things like that. But waiting for crowds of people, I think that they would charge you for that extra wait time.

Last edited by glenninindy; 05-30-2019 at 07:03 PM..

Old 05-31-2019, 10:51 AM

432 posts, read 523,098 times
Uber loses $ Billions, that is free money for its riders.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:40 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve807 View Post
Uber loses $ Billions, that is free money for its riders.
Yes, it's questionable how much longer these ride-sharing companies will be in existence, but I'm going to take full advantage of them while they're here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: