Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 05:46 AM

6 posts, read 6,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
I also work in an essential industry and I haven't seen any less traffic. In fact it seems worse. Every drive through is jammed, the big quarry trucks are driving like speed demons and folks are out on the road just taking what appears to be casual drives to get out of their house!

The reason, why China curbed this virus so fast is that their government has the power to force businesses to close and folks to stay indoors. Our freedoms (and self centered citizens) are helping this virus along

Yes....welding people's doors shut so you can't leave would go over well in the states

Self centered citizens, that's just a human problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 06:53 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I have family who work at Lowe's. They get why people are buying supplies, but they don't get why customers insist on coming into the stores instead of using the online order/pickup system.
I saw a presentation by the renowned agricultural engineer Temple Grandin a couple months back. She contends that most engineers and people who do construction are "visual learners." According to Temple, visual learners are not good with (or interested in) numbers, but they can eyeball something and tell you how big it is and how it fits together. It's not hard to imagine that most Lowe's customers would have the same skills and want to see what they're buying.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:22 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
I also work in an essential industry and I haven't seen any less traffic. In fact it seems worse. Every drive through is jammed, the big quarry trucks are driving like speed demons and folks are out on the road just taking what appears to be casual drives to get out of their house!

(

Not seeing less traffic?? LOL You may need glasses.

Every drive-thru is packed? Geez. Think it has anything to do with the fact most dining rooms of these restaurants are closed? Probably also has to do with the 'sky is falling" folks raiding the grocery stores hoarding everything like the world is going to end. People need to eat and it's a lot easier for some folks to pick something up then fend off the hysteria-stricken morons at HEB.

Oh noes!! People are out driving in their cars! Blasphemy! Are they going to infect you while driving?

Old 04-12-2020, 09:52 AM

858 posts, read 681,846 times
If you are staying at home and have no hobbies, them may try enriching yourself by reading, writing, etc
The internet is s treasure trove of great books, research, etc...not just BS conspiracy theories, misinformation and bad inews.

Or send off for a packet of seeds and small bag of soil and plant a porch garden.

There was life before TV, phones, the internet, and working 24/7 365. And people relaxed without spending tons of cash.

Maybe the positive in all this, is that it is our opportunity to reset all our lives and take stock in what is really important.

Old 04-12-2020, 10:07 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
If you are staying at home and have no hobbies, them may try enriching yourself by reading, writing, etc
The internet is s treasure trove of great books, research, etc...not just BS conspiracy theories, misinformation and bad inews.

For those that have been furloughed like myself, it's a good time to learn new things. As a software developer, my days currently consist of 6-8 hours of online tutorials and developing practice applications. My employer is an Azure company and I have a decent Azure stack whch is not a bad thing but getting familiar with AWS will expand my range. Similarly, we have been focused on SQL and I've been a pretty good SQL developer but spent last week working with NoSQL like Mongo and Cosmos.

Old 04-12-2020, 10:27 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
I gave up on America having a plan to end or slow the pandemic, as long as no one will make a sacrifice to isolate the prolonged " lockdown" will continue to drag out till 2021. All it took was a 2 month lockdown as in sit your rear at home except for food for it to end. But in America we have to go out and get stupid crap like plants and paint.

Btw, I l work at Lowes and see it daily how people are treating this virus as a joke.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:33 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,143,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I gave up on America having a plan to end or slow the pandemic, as long as no roone will make a sacrifice to isolate the plonged " lockdown" will continue to drag out till 2021. All it took was a 2 month lockdown as in sit your rear at home except for food for it to end. But in America we have to go out and get stupid crap like plants and paint.

Btw, I l work at Lowes and see it daily how people are treating this virus as a joke.

While this virus is not a "joke" it's also not that deadly. My cousin had it in early January, way before anyone was really talking about it and even knew what it is. At that time it was suspected to be hard form of influenza and after a week was able to fully recover. No one else in that family got sick. I am not seeing American public accepting harsher isolation compare to what we have now and if government pushes it to hard, people will fight back. Remember if tomorrow everyone said **********, we are going to ignore the government, there is not much they can do about it.

Old 04-12-2020, 05:40 PM

11,104 posts, read 7,164,275 times
"Nobody is staying home" is a complete lie. Many are doing exactly that, and the evidence is all around us.

If others choose to get out and about, they have that freedom. But that's no excuse for creating lies.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:25 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
I can confirm there was more traffic in SA then Austin. I drove down to drop something off at my parents’ house (didn’t go in and left the item at the door) and traffic got considerably heavier as I got to 35/410. It got a lot lighter the further north I got.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:55 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYPlock View Post
Self centered citizens, that's just a human problem
I think the problem here in the US (and some other countries, but not that many) is that people have no respect for laws. Laws can be bought if one has money. Laws can be "interpreted" and twisted by a clever lawyer...
So, why bother to follow them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio