Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 02:15 PM

487 posts, read 1,117,695 times

Advertisements

I need advice. For the first time since I can even remember . . . . I have crashed my car. (small crash, I backed into another vehicle)
I have no idea if I should take it to a dealership (Honda) of if it would be better to take it to an independent body shop for repair.
Any advice or recommendations would be most appreciated.

My deductible is $1,000. I know nothing about cars but I wouldn't think the repair would cost that much.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 02:32 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,984,233 times
First, is it a newer car or a bit older?

Personally, I would recommend an independent body shop; especially since most likely Honda won't do the work in-house and send it to one anyway (charging you for being the "middleman").

With such a large deductible, you are also more likely to be able to deal with an independent shop on the work you want done, hopefully saving you money.

There have been several threads on body shops in the local area, I had Helotes Collision Center do some work on my new Toyota (paint and install a spoiler) and was very pleased with them. It's a family-owned business and reasonably priced.

Just to warn you, the repair may not be a cheap as you think it is...

Cheers! M2

Old 05-28-2012, 02:56 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,830,892 times
I'd get an estimate before saying a WORD to the insurance co, though....if it's under $1,500, just do it outta pocket, and ask 'em for a discount for not having to mess w/the insurance folks.(most will) If you tell the insurance company, they'll use it as a "strike" on your rates.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:10 PM

It's a 2007 CRV in what was great shape. We've kept our deductible high because we've rarely had to use the insurance. Once in 15 years I believe. Thanks for your advice.
I guess I don't know how to search very well. I tried but didn't come up with anything.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:19 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,174 times
Tom Benson Collision (directly behind Benson Honda) has been considered one of if not the best body shop in San Antonio for decades. It has always been common sense in San Antonio, that the body shop that does Mercedes Benz, obviously is the best. They primarly service GM, Honda and MB, but will fix anything.

I have taken several cars there over the years and I am extremely picky when it comes to cars and I could not tell it had ever been worked on. Always good service and no BS. One time a car scraped my car in the parking lot and took off. I took it in, they offered to try buffing it out on the spot, free of charge and if it was not to my satisfaction they would repaint/repair. Sure enough the free buffing worked and they could have easily taken my car in and charged me for a complete job.

As far as pricing they just charge according to this national computer system standard...the same system any reputable body shop would use.

I also hear good remarks about Slims and Alamo, but I have never been to either.

Either way, take it in now...it has been hot & dry...and that means things are slow at the body shops...you car will be in and out quickly.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:36 PM

No worry. This is so depressing I will have it somewhere first thing in the morning!!!!

Old 05-29-2012, 01:47 PM

65 posts, read 116,261 times
Default Body Tec

I recommend:

Body Tec Collision Ctr
10219 Culebra Rd, San Antonio, TX | Map it
(210) 520-4974

My wife was hit and they repaired her car and did an excellent job.

What I DON'T recommend is Tom Benson. Had a vehicle in there twice in two weeks and we are still finding issues with the car that had nothing to do with the original problem.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:36 PM

413 posts, read 741,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Tom Benson Collision (directly behind Benson Honda) has been considered one of if not the best body shop in San Antonio for decades. It has always been common sense in San Antonio, that the body shop that does Mercedes Benz, obviously is the best.
But it hasn't been common sense to mention that Tom Benson owns the Mercedes dealership?

Old 05-29-2012, 08:23 PM

74 posts, read 175,149 times
Another recommendation for Helotes Collision. They are great!

Old 06-02-2012, 11:23 AM

Just an update: I called the place in Helotes and they sounded really nice (highly rated on Angie's List too) but I decided to go to Benson because it was closer to my house.
Everything went well I took my car in on Wednesday and picked it up on Friday. It only cost $256 and looks great. They gave me a lower hourly rate for labor because I was insured by USAA even though I was filing on my insurance.
Thank you all for your advice. It's really nice to have a place to go to ask for advice and get such prompt responses!!! Have a great weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio