Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2020, 11:23 PM

6 posts, read 7,403 times

Advertisements

We have been looking to move to the San Antonio area for a few months for work. But not knowing much about the area its been hard to focus on where to pick. But we keep coming back to Boerne/FairOaksRanch or Timberwood Park areas. We like larger lots, a real community feel, kid/family friendly, but not that too far off the beaten path country feel. But there are now two houses currently on the market we have our eye on and before (if) we put an offer in on one, i thought i would ask here to see what the thoughts were on Boerne schools, as the houses are split. Is there much difference between the middle schools and two high schools in Boerne? Boerne HS vs Champion HS. Voss vs Boerne South vs Boerne North. Im curious about everything from academics to possible bullying. Is one school known for being more "friendly" than the other or have better programs for kids with dyslexia, etc? Or should I wait out for Timberwood Park, Pieper Ranch? And also, any thoughts on living in the fair oaks ranch area? The home we like the most is in Fair Oaks Ranch. Where is the closest grocery store, i cant find one lol Thanks for any advice for this DFW girl

** i searched the forum. Nothing really specific came up or recent

Last edited by B480; 08-18-2020 at 11:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 07:41 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,002,363 times
Boerne Champion is the "nice" high school and the other Boerne school is more of a small town, rednecky high school, at least from what I've heard.

Alamo Heights is where I went to school and Champion was one of our main rivals. We looked down on them for being rednecks and they looked down at us for being preppy but they weren't that dissimilar from us. In my post high school life I have made plenty of friends from Boerne Champion, and even had a few back in high school.

Since Boerne Champion is the rich school it wouldn't totally shock me if the other school has a better sense of community.

I believe all of Fair Oaks Ranch is in Boerne Champion. Fair Oaks Ranch is a very nice area but as far as the schools go I think I would rather send my kids to Smithson Valley or that Boerne Geneva private school or whatever it is. Just my personal preference. Boerne Champion is a good school and your kids will get a great education. The problem, in my opinion, is the community, or lack of. Everybody is sort of in a never ending race to be the "coolest". I suppose all high schools are like this but it seems to be worse at Champion than many other small town hill country schools (and Boerne is now becoming a suburb of San Antonio rather than a small hill country town, so maybe it is expected).

Old 08-19-2020, 08:54 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,046,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B480 View Post
We have been looking to move to the San Antonio area for a few months for work. But not knowing much about the area its been hard to focus on where to pick. But we keep coming back to Boerne/FairOaksRanch or Timberwood Park areas. We like larger lots, a real community feel, kid/family friendly, but not that too far off the beaten path country feel. But there are now two houses currently on the market we have our eye on and before (if) we put an offer in on one, i thought i would ask here to see what the thoughts were on Boerne schools, as the houses are split. Is there much difference between the middle schools and two high schools in Boerne? Boerne HS vs Champion HS. Voss vs Boerne South vs Boerne North. Im curious about everything from academics to possible bullying. Is one school known for being more "friendly" than the other or have better programs for kids with dyslexia, etc? Or should I wait out for Timberwood Park, Pieper Ranch? And also, any thoughts on living in the fair oaks ranch area? The home we like the most is in Fair Oaks Ranch. Where is the closest grocery store, i cant find one lol Thanks for any advice for this DFW girl

** i searched the forum. Nothing really specific came up or recent
Closest store would be Leon Springs HEB. When we first moved to FOR and our son was a senior, he was slated to go to Smithson Valley, but was able to continue going to his previous school and graduating (Brennan).

Old 08-19-2020, 09:22 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,690,768 times
Boerne is one of the best districts in the area. No matter which you go to you'll be going to great schools.

Old 08-19-2020, 02:10 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,070 times
Second, Boerne Geneva. Small classes, high standards.

Champions is newer but larger.

Boerne is smaller.

Old 08-19-2020, 06:14 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Boerne Champion is the "nice" high school and the other Boerne school is more of a small town, rednecky high school, at least from what I've heard.

Alamo Heights is where I went to school and Champion was one of our main rivals. We looked down on them for being rednecks and they looked down at us for being preppy but they weren't that dissimilar from us. In my post high school life I have made plenty of friends from Boerne Champion, and even had a few back in high school.

Since Boerne Champion is the rich school it wouldn't totally shock me if the other school has a better sense of community.

I believe all of Fair Oaks Ranch is in Boerne Champion. Fair Oaks Ranch is a very nice area but as far as the schools go I think I would rather send my kids to Smithson Valley or that Boerne Geneva private school or whatever it is. Just my personal preference. Boerne Champion is a good school and your kids will get a great education. The problem, in my opinion, is the community, or lack of. Everybody is sort of in a never ending race to be the "coolest". I suppose all high schools are like this but it seems to be worse at Champion than many other small town hill country schools (and Boerne is now becoming a suburb of San Antonio rather than a small hill country town, so maybe it is expected).
Everything south of 46 is Champion HS, everything north is Boerne HS.

Old 08-19-2020, 06:17 PM

Here is a current link to the attendance zones. Which elementary schools feed which middle schools, which feed the two high schools. Boerne ISD is a great district, and you will enjoy any of the schools.

Boerne ISD Attendance Zone Info

Old 08-22-2020, 09:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Here is a current link to the attendance zones. Which elementary schools feed which middle schools, which feed the two high schools. Boerne ISD is a great district, and you will enjoy any of the schools.

Boerne ISD Attendance Zone Info
Please note that students entering the ninth grade or new to the District have the opportunity to choose which high school to attend. This is a one-time choice.

Old 08-24-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Please note that students entering the ninth grade or new to the District have the opportunity to choose which high school to attend. This is a one-time choice.
Believe that only applies to students zoned to attend Boerne High School being able to choose to attend Samuel V. Champion High School. Don't think those zoned to attend Champion have the option.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,255 times
Every single school (elementary - high school) ranks extremely well on test taking, etc. As hard as it is to believe, there really isn't a 'bad' school here. As far as the high schools, the only difference is socio- eeconomic. Basically the rich kids go to Champion and the rest go to Boerne High. Does that mean it's better? Nope. Both schools are identical in educational areas and sports.

Locals usually want their kids to go to Boerne High because that's where they went and they see it as the 'true' high school of Boerne. Out of towners seem to be concerned only with status and are happy to send their kids to the newer and bigger Champion. Both sides think they are 'better' for it lol.

If you are moving here from out of state and are worried about the area and schools, don't. This is the safest place you could possibly live (and I've lived all over this country) and it has the best schools. Sure some kids still dabble in drugs, but its NOWHERE near of a problem as most places. Speaking of drugs, if they do use Champion kids usually go for cocaine, while Boerne High kids go for marijuana. Like I said - socio-economic divisions.

I'm going to use this forum to ask a favor of those who are moving here from out of state - Please, please, please, please, please leave your aggresive driving styles in the places your moving from. Texans are usually easy going on the road and we like it that way. However, over the past 5 years, there has been a very noticable difference on the roads. People have been cutting in and out of traffic, not waiting their turn at stop signs, not letting people into traffic, and basically been behaving like total aholes on the road. If you don't like where you live, and are deciding to move here, please don't bring the stuff that made your old place crappy with you. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio