Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 10:32 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,736,621 times

Advertisements

It's been ten years since my last visit to SA and I'll be there once again next week.

I'm sure the City has changed a lot and I'm looking forward to seeing what's new. As I recall, King William, Alamo Heights, and the Pearl District (Southtown?) were highlights for me back then. I still remember my Tex-Mex meal I had a Rosario's.

Obviously, I'll check out the Riverwalk again, but I'm sure not much has changed there since it's historic. I do plan to driving in the Hill Country since I didn't make it there last time. Boerne and Gruene are just couple of the towns I plan on visiting. Any other noteworthy neighborhoods I should check out? Like everywhere, I'm sure Covid has taken a toll on the must-sees.

About me, I live in San Diego and will be driving down from Austin for a couple of nights.

Any restaurant recommendations are always welcome. I look forward to your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 02:37 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,118,900 times
The river walk is so dead they opened up kayaking in it for the first time in 30 years. Not sure if I’d want to get that close to that water myself.

Restaurants, well if you want some non traditional places that might be new to you. The Jerk Shack is a hot new Jamaican Jerk Chicken take out place. Colorful neighborhood, only go during the day. Rays Drive Inn has the best puffy tacos in town. All take out as well. Again in a colorful neighborhood. Daytime only.

Best smoked chicken you ever had can be found at Pollos Asados Los Nortenos. Culinary orgasm. They might have dine in now.

Hottest food truck in town is El Remedió.

Old 10-09-2020, 07:38 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,692,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
The river walk is so dead they opened up kayaking in it for the first time in 30 years. Not sure if I’d want to get that close to that water myself.

Kayaking down that area sounds pretty fun. I've always wondered that it would be like to not be on a barge. I would assume it might be pretty humid with all the buildings and trees around. I don't think I'll make a trip down for it, but it someone offered I'd consider it.

I've got nothing else except have fun. Traffic is way heavier now.

Old 10-09-2020, 09:01 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,003,499 times
I would check out Fredericksburg too, if you can make it up there

Old 10-09-2020, 08:32 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,736,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post

Restaurants, well if you want some non traditional places that might be new to you. The Jerk Shack is a hot new Jamaican Jerk Chicken take out place. Colorful neighborhood, only go during the day. Rays Drive Inn has the best puffy tacos in town. All take out as well. Again in a colorful neighborhood. Daytime only.

Best smoked chicken you ever had can be found at Pollos Asados Los Nortenos. Culinary orgasm. They might have dine in now.

Hottest food truck in town is El Remedió.
Yeah, I figured things would be more dead than usual, but that's ok with me. Not sure I'd want to kayak down the river but I guess it's better than nothing, right?

And I had both Ray's Drive Inn and Pollos Asados on my restaurant list after doing some research. Good to see it mentioned here. Don't want to know what a puffy taco is so I can be surprised when I go there. And I'm totally fine with colorful neighborhoods since they have the best food.

Appreciate your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite
I would check out Fredericksburg too, if you can make it up there
Yup, I plan on taking the scenic route from Austin to check out Fredricksburg, Dripping Springs, Johnson City, Luckenbach, Driftwood, Boerne and New Braunfels/Gruene. I know nothing about those places except it's where people go. I'll mostly be passing thru but will stop if I see something of interest. I guess The Salt Lick is a must stop. Thoughts?

Old 10-10-2020, 05:22 AM

I like the Mediterranean scene for food around here as well. Mediterranean Grill is a good place. Pasha had a real bad case of food poisoning a year ago so it could go either way. They might be paying special attention to it now.

Oh, and the best Gyro in town hands down would be Mina and Dimis Greek House but you probably don’t come to San Antonio for Greek food.

Great meatball sandwich at Fratellos. And I used to live near Philly. So I’m picky AF about Italian. Haven’t made it down to Yous Guys for their cheesesteak yet. They apparently FedEx in the rolls from Amaroso’s in South Philly. Heaven right there

Old 10-10-2020, 08:17 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,774,133 times
I would avoid Pollos Asados Los Nortenos. I was a customer of theirs for a long time but there are better places to be had for local fare.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:22 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,530,019 times
Hey SDURBANITE.
Maybe visit the SA Missions on the south side of town (San Jose and San Juan Cap) to see how they compare to SD's missions.
If you do go down there to visit the missions, drop by the haunted railroad tracks close by for a cheap thrill and in the spirit of Halloween.
https://ghostcitytours.com/san-anton...ilroad-tracks/

Old 10-10-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I would avoid Pollos Asados Los Nortenos. I was a customer of theirs for a long time but there are better places to be had for local fare.
Not for smoked chicken. Culinary Orgasm.

Old 10-11-2020, 02:48 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,003,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Yeah, I figured things would be more dead than usual, but that's ok with me. Not sure I'd want to kayak down the river but I guess it's better than nothing, right?

And I had both Ray's Drive Inn and Pollos Asados on my restaurant list after doing some research. Good to see it mentioned here. Don't want to know what a puffy taco is so I can be surprised when I go there. And I'm totally fine with colorful neighborhoods since they have the best food.

Appreciate your response.

Yup, I plan on taking the scenic route from Austin to check out Fredricksburg, Dripping Springs, Johnson City, Luckenbach, Driftwood, Boerne and New Braunfels/Gruene. I know nothing about those places except it's where people go. I'll mostly be passing thru but will stop if I see something of interest. I guess The Salt Lick is a must stop. Thoughts?
Get a drink in Luckenbach, walk around downtown Fredericksburg, Gruene, and maybe downtown New Braunfels. Enchanted rock maybe. Definitely go to Salt Lick. You could stretch it into a weekend trip if you wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio