Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 09:05 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,330,165 times

Advertisements

I see more and more violent rear end collisons around town. Yesterday, I passed two of them on Hausman road near 1604. In both, a car had piled into another one, pushing it into yet another car. All were severely crumpled. It seems to happen when traffic piles up and some idiot on the phone or daydreaming just rams someone. Being hit twice in 4 months in that manner, I have little sympathy and much antipathy for the rammers.

There are also the fools trying to save a light cycle in their turn lane and charging across a clearly changed light at the last minute. Seemed plenty of them.

Causes - idiots not paying attention and the increased traffic density. The latter is due in part to the construction of so much high density housing along the major roadways and the lack of alternative routes.

There's really no solution. My friends and I are now wandering through city streets to avoid such concentration and crash points. It might take more time but worth it.

I would drastically increase penalties for a rear end collision to be equal to a DUI, if you were found to be inattentive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 09:16 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
Neighbor was rear ended 2 weeks ago. She got her car out of the shop Monday. Her car is back in the shop. She got reared ended again before the paint was dry from the first time. Both drivers that rear ended her were screwing with their cellphones. Both events happened in Westover. There is technology that makes a cellphone worthless when in a car and the car is moving. Most already have the technology in the phone but apparently you can't have access to it.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:27 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Neighbor was rear ended 2 weeks ago. She got her car out of the shop Monday. Her car is back in the shop. She got reared ended again before the paint was dry from the first time. Both drivers that rear ended her were screwing with their cellphones. Both events happened in Westover. There is technology that makes a cellphone worthless when in a car and the car is moving. Most already have the technology in the phone but apparently you can't have access to it.
I wonder if your neighbor needs to learn how to drive?

Old 03-22-2018, 02:31 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
Quote:
I wonder if your neighbor needs to learn how to drive?

I wonder, can you read or do you seriously think she drives around in reverse?

Old 03-22-2018, 03:37 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,330,165 times
Well said. I have another friend who was recently rear-ended by a similar idiot. I think body shops secretly invented cell phones and roofers have wizards who control hail.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I wonder, can you read or do you seriously think she drives around in reverse?
Point was I see idiots going 75 on 410 and then they slam on their brakes when they come up to slow traffic because they weren’t paying attention. They end of getting rear ended. Your neighbor has really bad luck or doesn’t drive defensively.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:48 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Point was I see idiots going 75 on 410 and then they slam on their brakes when they come up to slow traffic because they weren’t paying attention. They end of getting rear ended. Your neighbor has really bad luck or doesn’t drive defensively.
So....how do you drive defensively against an inattentive driver? I almost got hammered twice in SA today - traffic going along, then suddenly grabbing brakes. I'm able to easily stop my 3/4-ton 4x4 crew cab, but three idiots behind me were all over the road trying to stop and not nail me or the guy in front of them - but only because the guy that HAD been immediately to my rear swerved left into the breakdown lane, finally coming to a stop (literally) alongside me - in a mid-size sedan.

He hadn't been tailgating me - he just wasn't paying attention, and when he hammered his brakes suddenly, the two behing him got snowballed. At least he had the sense to take the empty lane next to me.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
So....how do you drive defensively against an inattentive driver? I almost got hammered twice in SA today - traffic going along, then suddenly grabbing brakes. I'm able to easily stop my 3/4-ton 4x4 crew cab, but three idiots behind me were all over the road trying to stop and not nail me or the guy in front of them - but only because the guy that HAD been immediately to my rear swerved left into the breakdown lane, finally coming to a stop (literally) alongside me - in a mid-size sedan.

He hadn't been tailgating me - he just wasn't paying attention, and when he hammered his brakes suddenly, the two behing him got snowballed. At least he had the sense to take the empty lane next to me.
How many times have you been rear ended?

Old 03-22-2018, 05:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
rear-end is quite avoidable by the rear driver, who is often distracted.

I do make it a point to pull over and let an aggressive driver, tailgater, or cell phone talker / txt'r get pass me.

(in last 6 yrs, I've been hit 4x from the rear due to cell phone talker / chain reaction collisions at stop lights)
40+ yrs accident free CDL for me. (truckdriver)

Old 03-22-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
rear-end is quite avoidable by the rear driver, who is often distracted.

I do make it a point to pull over and let an aggressive driver, tailgater, or cell phone talker / txt'r get pass me.

(in last 6 yrs, I've been hit 4x from the rear due to cell phone talker / chain reaction collisions at stop lights)
40+ yrs accident free CDL for me. (truckdriver)
Did that all happen in San Antonio?

The premise of this thread is this city is distracted.

I have been driving here, Houston, and Phoenix and have not had these issues. When someone is following me in heavy traffic and I don’t like how close they are I back off the person in front of me way more than normal on certain sections of the freeway. (410 under 10 and again around the turn on Vance Jackson)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio