Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 01:42 PM

17 posts, read 66,166 times

Advertisements

We have been in SA for 2 months now. We are in the military and didn't know that area so we moved to an apt in Alamo Heights. We have three children and a beagle (what was I thinking!). We pay $1435 a month. I know this school district is great and my son will be starting K.

We are considering moving to the NE or NW to a rental HOME. Would it be worth it even if we had to pay to get out of our lease?? Many people we have talked to are renting for around $800 in these areas. Looking for some advice........What would you do?

Last edited by ltwins93; 05-10-2008 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 01:50 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,833,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwins93 View Post
We have been in SA for 2 months now. We are in the military and didn't know that area so we moved to an apt in Alamo Heights. We have three children and a beagle (what was I thinking!). We pay $1435 a month. I know this school district is great and my son will be starting K.

We are considering moving to the NE or NW to a rental HOME. Would it be worth it even if we had to pay to get out of our lease?? Many people we have talked to are renting for around $800 in these areas. Looking for some advice........What would you do?

Depends on how much they will soak you to break the lease? Give us that figure and I'm sure you'll get more opinions.
There are plenty of other good schools in SA...you don't have to be in AH.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,145,801 times
The answer depends on how much of a financial hardship that big rent payment is placing on the family budget. You're going to benefit greatly from having all 3 kids in good AH schools within the next 5 years. Also, the location of AH is convenient to a lot of amenities that people who live in NE and NW outlying areas have to drive a long way to get to, so you'll get some savings on fuel and vehicle expenses there.

I wouldn't move from where you are if I could afford not to. But if you're having trouble making ends meet, you're in a place that you can't afford to stay in.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:17 PM

Default More Info

We will only be in SA for one year then PCSing back to TN. They will charge us 2200 unless we can find the renter then we have to just give a 30 day notice. It isn't that we can't pay the rent. We can save about $300 a month living here. We will be able to save about $1000 a month if we can rent for under $850. (We are trying to purchase land in TN!)

Old 05-10-2008, 02:22 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,062,982 times
I'd stay where you are as long as you are making it there. You also have to figure in moving expenses, plus utility transfers, plus the general PITA that moving always is.

Last edited by sapphire; 05-10-2008 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: D'oh.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:31 PM

Default Good Point

Didn't think of utilities.......

Old 05-10-2008, 02:37 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,062,982 times
Another thing--an apartment is going to charge you a hefty pet deposit--and unless your pet really lives somewhere else , you will more than likely not get any of it back.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:42 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,416,853 times
for only a year I would definitely suck it up. If it was a three year tour it might be different, but your situation doesn't seem worth the hassle IMO

Old 05-10-2008, 04:59 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,471,049 times
Assuming you are stationed out of Ft Sam, you would probably spend a lot of time and gas $$ if you were to move further from the post.

If you are stationed at another base/post, perhaps a move would be worth the time/expense of the commute.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:41 PM

529 posts, read 2,713,113 times
Well, my caculations show you would save about 300 a month (not 1K) when you ad up the cost of breaking the lease, the cost to move, set up utilities again, pet deposit etc.. But if your neighbors are fine now and your school is good I would seriously consider staying. You could move and save money but get awful neighbors in your next neighborhood. I'm suprised that you are able to have that Beagle in an apartment without the neighbors complaining.
I'm a dog lover but Beagles are LOUD. What if you move and your new neighbors don't want to put up the sound of your dog - even though a house would get you further away from your neighbors, they could still hear a beagle.

According to my calcuations, right now you would pay about 17K a year. If you find a decent 800 a month house (note - for this price the neighborhood might not be so great) you would pay about 9.6K plus 2.2K for breaking the lease plus moving expense, etc.. you wind up paying about 13K for the year. Which comes out to a savings of about 300 a month. (see attached)
Oh yeah -- does breaking lease affect your credit or affect the next rental application? That's something to think about. And one more thing - many houses will also want a pet deposit. I figured that into my calcuations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwins93 View Post

Attached Thumbnails
What would you do? -housing question--calculations.bmp  

Last edited by shenane; 05-10-2008 at 06:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio