Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2021, 09:21 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,901 times

Advertisements

hi all,
looking for some general area advice. I'm considering a move to the San Antonio metro area, and besides what I can find in crime maps know nothing!

I have a great WFH job currently (pre pandemic) so I can move technically anywhere, but prefer to be commutable to San Antonio for future job opportunities should something happen to my current position. My current company does have offices in San Antonio and I work in financial services (risk/compliance) and know there's also USAA, Citi with a decent size in the area

my main concerns are a safe area, where you wouldn't have concern with a woman walking alone and basically limited violent crimes. I make over 200k a year, and house budget would be comfortable around $600,000- but would prefer around 500 if doable. Would like newer (but not necessarily "brand new" construction has it's own headaches) We would prefer a master planned type community that has parks, trails and shops nearby. we are expecting our first child this spring ,so schools are important but not a necessity at the moment. I should note we still wouldn't want to be in "the best" SD as we don't want an ultra competitive environment, it's just not our top priority. We care more about the neighborhood feel itself, friendly neighbors, nice views and places to walk, distance to some decent restaurants and regular shopping.

We've looked at Helotes, Boerne areas generally. Any advice on these or other suggestions? We're looking to be around other families and younger professionals (40+) and hopefully can make some new friends as well.

thanks again for any and all advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 09:55 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Stone oak, Alamo ranch for newer construction, Shavano park, Inwood and maybe Alamo heights are all good options for what you’re looking for. Schools are fine to great in all the areas you’ve mentioned. Stone oak inventory and prices seem to be the most competitive right now. Maybe rent for a bit before deciding on the final destination. Have you been to San Antonio before? All of these areas are very safe.

Old 02-14-2021, 12:09 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,218,301 times
If you are spending 500 or 600k you are buying a heck of a lot of house and you probably won't be dealing with too much crime.

Our house was half that amount in the NorthWest area of San Antonio and we have no troubles with anyone.

Old 02-14-2021, 01:17 PM

thanks for the replies so far - does anyone have any insights into the esperenza community in Boerne? looks like a nice master planned community, with trails, clubhouse etc. There's a few existing homes for sale and looks like they're still doing new builds as well.

Old 02-14-2021, 02:29 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
thanks for the replies so far - does anyone have any insights into the esperenza community in Boerne? looks like a nice master planned community, with trails, clubhouse etc. There's a few existing homes for sale and looks like they're still doing new builds as well.
No insight but it'll be just fine.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:52 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,686 times
If you’re talking about fully planned towns such as what you find in say Columbia, MD, those don’t exist in Texas. No had that much foresight in Texas.

The best you can hope for is to insulate yourself with like minded people in a neighborhood. There are a few planned neighborhoods with those features. You might want to look in the most exclusive part of San Antonio at The Rim.

The parts of San Antonio I feel the safest in are Shavano Park or Alamo Heights but maybe it’s because they have their own police force and are more aggressive about patrol and go after speeders. I find that as annoying as it is to know that cops are everywhere around where you live, it’s also a first deterrent to have them be seen as everywhere.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:07 AM

does anyone have any realtor recommendations for realtors that are very familiar with Boerne, Helotes, Fair Oaks Ranch and surrounding areas?

Old 02-16-2021, 09:14 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
does anyone have any realtor recommendations for realtors that are very familiar with Boerne, Helotes, Fair Oaks Ranch and surrounding areas?
I sent you a DM with a recommendation. Good luck!!

Old 02-16-2021, 12:58 PM

87 posts, read 122,505 times
There are many nice communities between San Antonio and Boerne along I-10. What it comes down to is your personal priorities, budget, and your comfort with what might be a lengthy commute if you ended up working in San Antonio and living in Boerne. (If you are moving from a larger city, the commute times on I-10W may not bother you.)
During our relocation house search (2017 thru early 2018) in the same area, we looked at many nice homes in 525-750K range. (Based on our priorities we chose to purchase a newer home (less than 10 years old) located in an established golf community not far from the Rim. The Rim is a shopping area near the I-10W and Lp 1604 interchange.)

Good luck on the search for your perfect home!

Old 02-19-2021, 10:52 PM

11 posts, read 4,715 times
I "know a guy" who just built a house near The Rim (more like La Cantera Resort area). 500k would be fine for a new build (just don't go crazy with the options). Area is nice, great views, gated communities available, etc.

As for work in risk/compliance in financial services, believe USAA and WF are some big ones here both on their mortgage lending compliance pre/post review as well as on consumer credit/lending services. If you are more financial risk, however, ballpark is more open. Thinking you are more of the latter if you are at the salary range you say you're at though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio