Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 06:34 AM

796 posts, read 1,843,916 times

Advertisements

I "know" (and I use that term loosely) someone who panhandles for a living...yes, you read correctly. It's his living. He's not homeless - quite the opposite. He drives a brand new BMW, too...makes me sick.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:19 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
OK, explain to me how the homeless have insurance on these vehicles without a residence? Or how they are able to obtain a driver's license without the same?
Driver's license was received before they became homeless and the insurance is obtained with using a friend's address. Why the friend doesn't offer them a place to stay is another story!

Old 04-20-2010, 07:45 AM

574 posts, read 1,338,732 times
A license is easy, they had one prior to becoming homeless. It's not like a homeless person could not obtain one. They could either have gotten it prior or as skeet said they used someone else's address to apply for one.

Now they may or may not have insurance. I get my insurance through USAA, but I have seen commercials and signs for low cost insurance, "no fault." Insurance may cost cheaper than rent, so if you live in your vehicle that could be the more feasible option. OR, they could have no insurance. Plenty of people that have homes/place to stay still don't have auto insurance.

There are lawbreakers all around, with or without homes, panhandlers or not. I never spoke on legality. I just said it is possible for a person to panhandle AND have transportation.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:49 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,087 times
This thread is funny.....there are similar ones going in various cities in Florida, California, and other warm climates.....

Old 04-20-2010, 08:06 AM

968 posts, read 2,624,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
This thread is funny.....there are similar ones going in various cities in Florida, California, and other warm climates.....
then lets truck in some snow!

Old 04-20-2010, 08:17 AM

968 posts, read 2,624,836 times
so what i'm hearing is that its ok to be homeless?

homelessness drives crime rate up, these people are on the street because there is plenty of money in standing at a light for 6 hours getting 1 dollar every minute, (a light takes about a minute to cycle) if one person gives them one dollar thats 60 bucks an hour. how many people here get paid 60 bucks an hour, in an 8 hour day thats totals to 115 ,200 dollars a year if they do an 8 hour day

even if its 30 dollars every hour they're still pulling in 60,000 a year

this is capilatism!

you know what screw it, i'm gonna go dress up in my work out clothes and stand on the corner of stone oak and sonterra, i'll make mad cash.

panhandling is not ok, sleeping in the street is not ok. being homeless is unfortunate, but call these panhandlers anything but poor.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:36 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,048,207 times
Again, I will ask the same question since it was basically ignored yesterday.

I heard something about a proposal to ticket the people who give the panhandlers the cash in order to discourage panhandling. Anyone heard about this?

Old 04-20-2010, 08:41 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Again, I will ask the same question since it was basically ignored yesterday.

I heard something about a proposal to ticket the people who give the panhandlers the cash in order to discourage panhandling. Anyone heard about this?
Yes; here: Ordinance Targets Handouts To Panhandlers - San Antonio News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/22124440/detail.html - broken link)

Old 04-20-2010, 08:57 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
HCHRM

It's been discussed by the city council (and again here and here (http://www.ksat.com/news/22124440/detail.html - broken link)); but I dont' believe it's become law yet.

Oddly enough, the law on which the SA might be based is from Gainesville, Florida, where I went to college over 20 years ago. They've always had a panhandling problem in that town, probably due to the high number of college students who succumb to such tactics easier than mean-spirited old guys like myself.

But this thread is discussing to different issues...panhandling (which is illegal) and being homeless. Sometimes the two converge, but many times the former has nothing to do with the latter.

However, panhandling is already illegal under San Antonio City Code Section 19-8! It just needs greater enforcement...

Cheers! M2

Old 04-21-2010, 08:41 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default I have some experience with this,

A larger percentage of homeless people are mentally ill and are incapable
of working or even panhandlling( high functioning mentally ill can panhandle.)
They may not even be mentally ill at all and are just lazy or have no job skills.The ill ones are the one you see walkig around talking to themselves,
they are responding to voices, unkempt and confused looking. Alchoholism
and drug use amplify their conditions.The ones that really,really need help
don't ask.
The ones who are genuinely mentally ill and can be proven to be,
qualify for federal help from the social security admnistration called medical
disability -$800.00 a month federal plus and medicaid and a food allotment to an adult foster care home where they can live. They are taken care of there.
These panhandlers are preying on your sympathies, nothing more.
HARD TIMES ? Yes, but their refusal to perfrom work of any kind
or accept food or groceries shows that they would rather get free money.
They may be homeless but they are not stupid,just shamessly brazen
That much effort could be put into a job and earn an honest living.
80% percent of convicticts also, are mentally ill some with more than one disability.Schitzo-Affectiive disorder, Bi-Polar, Learning disabilities,
sensory deprivation disorder, depression, mentally challenged....etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
It doesn't matter how much I work...I have a job, an income and a home.

If my situation was the same as hers, there would be no "breaks;" especially after almost two years!

It's called priorities...and if you're homeless and desperate, surfing the Internet is not one of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio