Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 11:37 AM

11 posts, read 59,637 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me the best part of living (areas) that would be the better places to live in SA. Not being familiar with the area, I don't know where to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 03:59 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,429,021 times
Traditionally, the north side of town is more desired, but it all depends on what your needs are. Do you have children? What age?

Perhaps most importantly, what are you looking for in a home? There are some great areas all over town.

Any hobbies? Does proximity to work matter?

Old 01-02-2007, 06:23 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,243,535 times
This is slightly off topic but recently I've been seeing a lot of Florida licence plates on the south east side. Seriously a lot.

As for the best places to live in SA: Far west side, far northwest side, north side, uptown, far north east side, south east side.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:34 PM

217 posts, read 670,986 times
Another thing that I think all prospective transplants should know: You look at a map of the city and see the 410 and 1604 loops. Well, you visit the north side and then assume that the loops are "filled in" with development all around the city. They're not at all!! A couple of months ago I drove southwest from downtown and it was mostly fields and countryside from 410 to 1604. I couldn't believe it. I guess I had just assumed that the whole city was evenly developed.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:44 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,418,232 times
Nah, San Antonio developments to the north, northwest, and west more. Coming in from the east side, San Antonio looks like Corpus Christi. Same for the southside, too (here comes CitySouth). That is why a lot of people think that San Antonio's metro is growing faster than say Houston's or Dallas', because most of the development is crammed to one side. San Antonio is growing not that much faster than Austin, and is not close to Dallas-Fort Worth or Houston. Could you imagine if all of the development in Houston was crammed to one side, or all of the development in Dallas-Fort Worth crammed to one side?

Old 01-04-2007, 11:44 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorg View Post
Can anyone tell me the best part of living (areas) that would be the better places to live in SA. Not being familiar with the area, I don't know where to start.
We moved to SA from Tampa last year best thing we ever did. We live in North Central anywhere in the North side is a good area to look.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:05 PM

KevCrawford - I'm 48 white caucasion, middle class, being transferred with job.

Although my interest is to live in a moderate/upper part of town, also would like to find out the better places to enjoy when on my time off and where they are located to this moderate/upper part of town. (Not worried to much about where the area is from where work will be which btw is still being worked out by the company. Currently I drive around 30 minutes to and from work.) Do they have places to go dancing, enjoy music, festivals. Originally from Louisiana and moving to Florida was a big disappointment. Where I've lived is more for the young college students and military. Which was fine for that age group. But being single at this age left staying at home the only alternative unless you ate out all the time living at resturants or combed the beaches. In Louisiana area they always had dance clubs, festivals. Even living in Houston for a year I found many places to go with a range of different age groups such as the Longhorns off of tidwell. I really enjoyed that place on my evenings out. Any suggestions and of course knowing my age now the better places for this age group to live. I'm also considering apt. living until I get better established in the area and know more about what I'm interested in and wanting. (I'm learning so all the replys are greatful) Thanks

Old 01-04-2007, 12:32 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,243,535 times
San Antonio is known for throwing a bash for almost any and no reason.

We just had our New Years Eve party (largest in Texas) which had over 250,000 people downtown now we're on to the Mud Festival which is a week long party to celebrate the draining of the River Walk so it can be cleaned. They drained it Tuesday but the festival doesn't start until they fill the River back up which should be this weekend.

Some info on the Mud Festival:

http://wintertexans.com/mudfest.htm (broken link)
http://www.thesanantonioriverwalk.com/Events/index.asp (broken link)

Next is Fiesta. An almost two week downtown party. During the 10 day bash, there will be over 200 events. Including Oyster Bake, A Taste of New Orleans, Battle of Flowers parade, Flambeau Night Parade (second largest night parade in the world) and probably the most popular NIOSA (Night In Old San Antonio) held for 4 days in La Villita. That happens in April.

http://www.fiesta-sa.org/

There's also the weekly Houston Street Fair and Market, Southtown's monthly First Friday and Second Saturday, Folklife Festival and much much more.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:27 AM

Any suggestions on what apartments are the best apartments to live at/which ones to stay away from?

Old 01-07-2007, 09:08 AM

93 posts, read 307,467 times
Hi Kev,

I am single and in my 40s and will be relocating to SA in September/07. I will be in SA later on in the year job hunting. If you learn of any places to go for our age group, let me know...catherinemedldy@aol.com

thanks catherine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio