Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,460 times

Advertisements

Looking for an elementary that embrace and appreciate energetic and spirited children (read: ADHD).

We've toured a few great schools in San Antonio but the search isn't quite over.

San Antonio Academy - Top of our list however the cost for the full experience through 8th grade is more than we are looking to commit to now.

Alamo Heights ISD (Cambridge) - We have heard amazing things about their resources and programs and can apply for their tuition based program.

NEISD (Wilderness Oak or other elementary through choice program) - This is our home district and while it's rating is great, very mixed reviews on the type of student they prefer.

Bucker Fanning - Small class size with tons of hands-on learning

Holy Spirit Catholic School - We've heard great things about their community.

St. George - Great school too rigid for us.

Any input or further suggestions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2021, 04:06 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,351,842 times
If you go with public pick AISD, NEISD or NISD.

Old 11-09-2021, 04:22 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,708,956 times
Education is such an individual choice. Are you moving for your kiddo to go to AHISD? I don't believe any public districts offer a "transfer" option and you'll need to live within the feeder pattern of the place you decide on, so being able to move on a home in your desired area quickly will need to be a priority. I'd add NISD and just check out the homes in some of the higher-rated schools and see which fits. It sounds like you're doing your own research and visiting with the administration too, which is great. Just a small warning, don't rely on GreatSchools ratings.

Old 11-10-2021, 08:26 AM

21 posts, read 27,302 times
why do you recommend not using Great Schools ratings? Are none of the school ratings on RE website accurate for SA?

My wife and I have a special needs child whom isnt school age yet, but are looking to see where we need to plan to be in the next few years to get him the best education. Unless there is significant tuition help, private schools arent an option.

Old 11-10-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits00 View Post
why do you recommend not using Great Schools ratings? Are none of the school ratings on RE website accurate for SA?

My wife and I have a special needs child whom isnt school age yet, but are looking to see where we need to plan to be in the next few years to get him the best education. Unless there is significant tuition help, private schools arent an option.
It’s the Yelp of school ratings. Do your own research and font relay on an angry student or parent to make your decision.

Old 11-10-2021, 05:26 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,011,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Education is such an individual choice. Are you moving for your kiddo to go to AHISD? I don't believe any public districts offer a "transfer" option and you'll need to live within the feeder pattern of the place you decide on, so being able to move on a home in your desired area quickly will need to be a priority. I'd add NISD and just check out the homes in some of the higher-rated schools and see which fits. It sounds like you're doing your own research and visiting with the administration too, which is great. Just a small warning, don't rely on GreatSchools ratings.
Alamo Heights does. Or they did when I went there, which was not long ago. People lived on the northside of town, including by Churchill or further north and went there. Also people lived in Monte Vista and went there. It is selective (possibly a lottery or a list you have to get on when your kids are super young) but it is possible. Some of my best friends did it.

Pretty sure the tuition is insanely cheap too. Way less than private schools. I'm talking in the 1-5k range. If I remember correctly.

Old 11-10-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Alamo Heights does. Or they did when I went there, which was not long ago. People lived on the northside of town, including by Churchill or further north and went there. Also people lived in Monte Vista and went there. It is selective (possibly a lottery or a list you have to get on when your kids are super young) but it is possible. Some of my best friends did it.

Pretty sure the tuition is insanely cheap too. Way less than private schools. I'm talking in the 1-5k range. If I remember correctly.
Hmmm. Maybe if they pay tuition it makes sense. I’m thinking more of what us done up here with Austin isd. I live right outside the boundaries (like my backyard is sn AISD elementary) and they’d just accept any of the kids in my complex as a transfer, no fees, nothing. They would t provide transportation, but otherwise you can just walk in from another district and get in. (Unless it’s one of the few that are closed to transfer).

Old 12-30-2021, 12:25 PM

658 posts, read 722,918 times
I'm not sure of a school that specializes in kids with ADHD (we need one, or at least skilled educators who know how to interact with kids with ADHD). I would think it's hard for a whole school to try to accommodate a subset of students with a disorder that can affect other children's ability to learn (if the child with ADHD causes the others to be distracted etc.).

Old 01-07-2022, 06:21 PM

201 posts, read 383,089 times
You may want to check out The Winston School. It is located in the Med. Center area.

https://www.winston-sa.org/

Old 01-12-2022, 01:19 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Hmmm. Maybe if they pay tuition it makes sense. I’m thinking more of what us done up here with Austin isd. I live right outside the boundaries (like my backyard is sn AISD elementary) and they’d just accept any of the kids in my complex as a transfer, no fees, nothing. They would t provide transportation, but otherwise you can just walk in from another district and get in. (Unless it’s one of the few that are closed to transfer).
They do, but on a limited basis:
https://www.ahisd.net/students___parents/tuition_guides

I know kids in other districts who go to AHISD but they either have a parent or grandparent in the district and use that address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio