Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,377 times

Advertisements

I'm currently going to be a sophomore at UTSA studying Physics. Although I have had nothing but good experiences there I'm not sure about my prospects should I choose to graduate from there.

I was a CAP student but I decided to stay at UTSA rather than transfer to UT. My question is more or less to any UTSA staff or alum that has any advice to offer. Specifically whether I should continue my physics major or switch to Math which I have had some excellent proffessors and heard good things about( as far as the graduate school) or transfer to UT or some other school.

Will I end up with a degree and not be able to find a job or get into a good graduate program?

And please I don't need to hear about UTSA's reputation, I go there it's very obvious to me, just need real world advice form people in the know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 11:51 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,971,361 times
Go to the best school you can go to.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:55 AM

3 posts, read 4,667 times
I am not alum nor faculty at UTSA. I am in a PhD. program at UTSA so I will give you my 2 cents from that point of view.

Through my experience with jobs and graduate school I feel emphasis is less on the school your degree is from but more so how much you are involved with your specific study. If you like UTSA then I would stay there.Thinking you will get a much better job oppourtunities or get into a better graduate program because your degree says UT is untrue through my observations and experiences. Find out which program best fits you!

Yes you will get a job with a UTSA degree and yes you can get into a good graduate program also. I dont see UTSA having a bad reputation. I think the school is changing rapidly for the good and people are taking notice.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:04 AM

437 posts, read 639,214 times
My coworker here is a physics major at utsa almost done. He tells me it takes a while because several classes arent offered year around. I graduated in 06 with an electrical engineering degree but I did have Koinov for a couple of classes. I felt uninterested and a little bored because of his teaching style and I am sure others would agree. On the other hand, I had excellent Math instructors and felt more motivated and interested in doing well. I don't think you'll be having a hard time finding a job with a physics degree, but it is more specific than a math degree and there is more of a chance you won't be doing something related to physics in your first career job. Math major may look more appealing on paper to employers in my opinion.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:30 PM

418 posts, read 1,240,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slats142 View Post
Will I end up with a degree and not be able to find a job or get into a good graduate program?
Are you good friends with your professors and department personnel? Do they have pull in the selection for their graduate program? Do their graduate programs offer 100% rides + stipend?

If your professors can't get you full rides for grad school in the math/sciences, thats a bad sign. Either they don't get government funding (bad), or your grades/behavior is not up to par (bad). I'm pretty sure it is easier to have a positive relationship with professors at UTSA, than mega campus's like UT.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:53 PM

18 posts, read 82,514 times
I'm a UTSA grad with an EE degree. I had a lot of experience so getting a job was easy, but UT is much more respected than UTSA, which counts for a lot getting your first job out of school. I'd stay with Physics and transfer to UT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio