Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 09:16 AM

6,508 posts, read 7,545,217 times

Advertisements

What's your favorite hotel downtown and why? I've only ever stayed at the Holiday Inn Riverwalk during the tree lightings/river parade the week of Thanksgiving back in 2013. It was pretty nice and it was one of the best times of year to stay at that hotel.

I am thinking of doing a 'staycation' and staying on the Riverwalk one or two nights in the coming weeks. So far the Drury Plaza is in the lead because of the free breakfast/dinner, rooftop pool/jacuzzi and because I am fascinated by the fact that once upon a time it was a bank.

What's your favorite hotel downtown and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 02:06 PM

1,038 posts, read 878,263 times
San Antonio has had a lack of truly great hotels for a long, long time. We've had mostly mid-level, mid-service, overpriced options. That's slowly changing.

Emma at Pearl is, hands down, the best hotel in the city. It's ticks all the boxes, but you're going to pay for it.

The brand new Thompson has the right look and the build-out is solid, but their service and restaurants need some time to gel. It feels wonky. It's nowhere near a well-oiled machine.

I love the originality of Hotel Havana. It's unique and has a GREAT basement bar.

The redo of the St Anthony is beautiful. Very good service. Terrible parking (and odd valet).

There are rumors that Ritz and Four Seasons are looking at property on the edges of Downtown. I hope that's true.

Old 07-24-2021, 04:56 PM

603 posts, read 445,901 times
Hotel Emma! Beautiful property.

Old 03-01-2022, 01:47 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,169,873 times
Would you feel safe walking around at night to the Riverwalk area from the St Anthony Hotel?

Old 03-02-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
Would you feel safe walking around at night to the Riverwalk area from the St Anthony Hotel?
I'd say yes. It's a well-lit area, the park across has been redone (looks great) and it's central to all of Downtown.

The hotel itself is solid. The refurb was a nice mix of modern and classic.

Old 03-03-2022, 08:57 AM

318 posts, read 570,947 times
If I'm doing a staycation in the downtown/Pearl area, I stay at one of the following: Hotel Emma, Mokara, Valencia, Canopy or The Thompson. All of these are unique properties that have more of boutique/upscale feel. Most of them have great restaurants/cocktail bar options on site and all are walkable to other food/entertainment options.

Old 03-03-2022, 06:01 PM

What is the Pearl area? I see several mentions that it is a must do.

Old 03-03-2022, 11:33 PM

318 posts, read 570,947 times
Quote:
What is the Pearl area? I see several mentions that it is a must do.
It refers to the historic Pearl Brewery and the redeveloped former industrial area around it. The Hotel Emma is the centerpiece in the late 1800’s brew house and is one of the best hotels in the entire country. It is surrounded by great local restaurants, bars and shops and hosts numerous events including a very popular farmer’s market on weekend mornings. The entire development incorporates history through industrial equipment from the brewery into the design. And if you like jazz or just live music, I highly recommend Jazz TX at the Pearl.

The area is just north of downtown and is along the San Antonio River - I refer to this area as the more “local” section of the Riverwalk. And it’s a relatively easy walk from the Pearl to downtown along the river.

Old 03-06-2022, 12:45 PM

Any restaurant recommendations appreciated. Mi Tierra was suggested on the river walk.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Any restaurant recommendations appreciated. Mi Tierra was suggested on the river walk.
Mi Tierra is a tourist trap. Go and have some pan, look at the glitter, but don't stay for the food.

Tito's in Southtown. Rosarios. Pete's Tako House. Boudro's (good, but they've been flogging the same menu for over a decade). Maverick. Hot Joy. Sukeban. Nonna. Le Frite. Brasserie Mon Chou Chou.

Lots of choices for non-chain, local eateries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio