Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can I place a gutter downspout on a zero lot line side of the house?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 733 times

Advertisements

I purchased a zero lot line home seven years ago. Recently I had an Engineer recommend I install gutters. The runoff on the zero lot side was creating a buildup of soil above my foundation. My neighbor doesn’t have much grass to prevent this problem. I asked my neighbor if we could access his yard to install gutters. The installation went fine. I paid Beldon for the completed installation. I did mention to the project manager I lived on a zero lot property. After four weeks, my neighbor pointed out the installation of a downspout on his side of my home. He has stated the downspout needs to be moved. The gutter is outside of his front fence but on that side of the house. The bottom spout does stick out about 7 or so inches into the side front yard. Do I need to move that downspout? He has advised it is on his property. Must I move the downspout to the front corner of my home to remove it from the side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2023, 04:45 AM

3,078 posts, read 8,428,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearnsk01 View Post
I purchased a zero lot line home seven years ago. Recently I had an Engineer recommend I install gutters. The runoff on the zero lot side was creating a buildup of soil above my foundation. My neighbor doesn’t have much grass to prevent this problem. I asked my neighbor if we could access his yard to install gutters. The installation went fine. I paid Beldon for the completed installation. I did mention to the project manager I lived on a zero lot property. After four weeks, my neighbor pointed out the installation of a downspout on his side of my home. He has stated the downspout needs to be moved. The gutter is outside of his front fence but on that side of the house. The bottom spout does stick out about 7 or so inches into the side front yard. Do I need to move that downspout? He has advised it is on his property. Must I move the downspout to the front corner of my home to remove it from the side?

Is it on the side of the house or the front of the house? I expect you meant to say side.

Is the downspout using an elbow at the bottom to discharge the water to the exact same point as the roof dripline? If so obviously the gutters are discharging against the foundation which is also improper.

The solution to your issue is what should have been done in the first place with the gutter installation. The gutter downspout should have been routed into an underground drain pipe to somewhere at least 5' away from the foundation, on your property, and on a slope to provide proper drainage away from the home's foundation.

Old 06-25-2023, 08:35 AM

61 posts, read 45,325 times
Default That is right on Escanlan,

I would also add to put a layer of pea stone down as a bed on which to lay the PERFORATED pipe and then cover the stone with pea stone once again so the pipe can bleed the runoff water into the ground away from the foundation, as you wrote.
To keep water pressure off the foundation.
Not crushed limestone for the pipe either but perhaps even some larger diameter stones then pea stone from a landscaping place. The larger stones may keep sediment from plugging the voids in between the stones as rapidly thus letting it drain like new longer.
Also sold is burlap for the pipe with which to wrap the pipe before hand which will keep the pipe clear of sediment even longer.
Because sometimes there is not enough slope to drain the place excepting for during heavy downpours. The engineer did not inform you on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Is it on the side of the house or the front of the house? I expect you meant to say side.

Is the downspout using an elbow at the bottom to discharge the water to the exact same point as the roof dripline? If so obviously the gutters are discharging against the foundation which is also improper.

The solution to your issue is what should have been done in the first place with the gutter installation. The gutter downspout should have been routed into an underground drain pipe to somewhere at least 5' away from the foundation, on your property, and on a slope to provide proper drainage away from the home's foundation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio