Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:54 AM

50 posts, read 200,728 times

Advertisements

Okay, so after all of my research here on all the different areas, can someone please tell me if I am correct in coming to this conclusion.

My husband, me, 4 kiddos will be relocating to San Antonio from Dallas so traffic isn't a concern for us.

What I want is TOP schools, elementary, middle, jr, high school, Nice homes, Great Neighborhoods, Newer neighborhoods where kids are all out playing.

Yep, the suburban, soccer mom, kids all playing type area.

I have come to the conclusion that I should only be checking out:

zip codes: 78258, 78259, 78232 and/or areas such as Stone Oak, Alamo Ranch, Sonterra,, La Cantera, Northwood, Alamo Heights, Oakwell Farms, Trophy Ridge

areas outside the loop are best and newer homes are further North

*I do know that I am listing subdivisions, areas and zips...all thrown into one, I was just wanting someone to say Yeah or Nay if I listed anything that was wrong.

Again, location to work and/or traffic is not our biggest concern.

Thank you in advance,
Stef
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
You've got it figured out.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:03 AM

Great!
Thank you, now to find a house, LOL

Old 05-29-2008, 09:17 AM

734 posts, read 3,015,002 times
Add in 78261 to your search, but only those in the NEISD (mostly this is just the Fossil Ridge, Fossil Creek, Cibolo Canyons and Bulverde Village subdivisions - north of BV is Comal Schools) Personally I love Cibolo Canyons have almost moved in there 2 times already! (But we've decided to stay in our current house while the housing market stabilizes! We still are in that same area though.)

Schools for that area are Roan Forest Elem, Tejeda Middle (both exemplary schools) and the new Johnson High School.

I also think that 78260, just north of Stone Oak has some neighborhoods still in NEISD (Summerglen, Mountain Lodge maybe?)

Old 05-29-2008, 09:35 AM

841 posts, read 1,746,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosefamily6 View Post
Depends. Overall, some would argue that you are correct, but you mentioned some neighborhoods that don't quite fit the statement. Full disclosure: I'm an inside the loop, historic neighborhood kind of guy with little kids.

You mentioned Oakwell Farms, Alamo Heights, and Northwood. These are all located inside Loop 410, which is inside Loop 1604.

Most of the Oakwell Farms' homes date from the late 80's to mid 90's, but I believe there are some more recently constructed homes also. Schools (NEISD) are very good, particulary the elementary (Northwood, I believe).

Alamo Heights (AHISD) has homes of all vintages (1908 to 2008), and the schools are some of the very best in town, reflected in the ultra high price per square foot.

Northwood is comprised of 1950's homes on large lots, and is split between AHISD and NEISD.

I know I will be blasted for this, but I just am not sold on Alamo Ranch yet as a location - too new to see which way it will go; and I just don't think the schools are that great, though they are building a new high school out there.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:36 AM

thank you so much!

I have in my notes NO to Stonecreek, but the house I found says its in Northside ISD.
Did I do that wrong or is Stonecreek (next to Heritage) a no-go?

Old 05-29-2008, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,423 times
Default San Antonio Questions

Hello, we're looking to relocate to San Antonio from New York. We have spoked with several builders and the one who stands out to us the most are the "Toll Brothers." Is anyone out there familiar with their work?

Is there a certain school district we should keep our eye on? Its easy to find the right home but very hard to find the right school district, so an excellent school district is very important to us. Our oldest daughter is use to attending school where the High School, Middle, & Elementary School is one block from each other. Are the schools like that in San Antonio? It's a plus when you have more than one child in school.

Also, I'm a LPN and looking to start school to obtain my RN. Do you suggest a certain school I look into? I've heard a lot about St. Phillips College. Do they have a wonderful RN Program? Do San Antonio offer Diploma base school programs or schools that offers the LPN to RN Bridge program that can be completed in a year or less?

How is the weather in San Antonio? Do you receive all the seasons? Should I be concern with flood zones? How is the crime rate there? How far is San Antonio from Fort Hood, TX?

Living in a gated community, estate (luxury)homes, and family friendly is also a top priority for us. Do you have an area in mind. We're looking to purchase new construction only.

I have a lot of questions, but can you help?

Old 05-30-2008, 06:29 AM

734 posts, read 3,015,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryhavard View Post
Is there a certain school district we should keep our eye on? Its easy to find the right home but very hard to find the right school district, so an excellent school district is very important to us. Our oldest daughter is use to attending school where the High School, Middle, & Elementary School is one block from each other. Are the schools like that in San Antonio? It's a plus when you have more than one child in school.
No - they are not like this. However, the area I live has them all within 2 miles (Texas sized blocks!) But there are at least 3 elementary schools, 2 Middle for every High School.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryhavard View Post
I have a lot of questions, but can you help?
Those are lots of questions - try looking around the message board, many of them can be answered from there! I can't answer all of them - sorry

Old 05-30-2008, 06:51 AM

759 posts, read 3,688,652 times
One more zip to consider would be 78248- look into Deerfield and any of the Inwood neighborhoods. Also check out Rogers Ranch.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:02 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosefamily6 View Post
Okay, so after all of my research here on all the different areas, can someone please tell me if I am correct in coming to this conclusion.

My husband, me, 4 kiddos will be relocating to San Antonio from Dallas so traffic isn't a concern for us.

What I want is TOP schools, elementary, middle, jr, high school, Nice homes, Great Neighborhoods, Newer neighborhoods where kids are all out playing.

Yep, the suburban, soccer mom, kids all playing type area.

I have come to the conclusion that I should only be checking out:

zip codes: 78258, 78259, 78232 and/or areas such as Stone Oak, Alamo Ranch, Sonterra,, La Cantera, Northwood, Alamo Heights, Oakwell Farms, Trophy Ridge

*I do know that I am listing subdivisions, areas and zips...all thrown into one, I was just wanting someone to say Yeah or Nay if I listed anything that was wrong.

Again, location to work and/or traffic is not our biggest concern.

Thank you in advance,
Stef
We live in Trophy Ridge and love it. It's an amazing family oriented neighborhood. Would I say it feeds to the best schools in SA? Not really, but they are in the NISD and are fine, not bad, just not the best in the city. Check out greatschools.net and you should get an idea about the different schools. If you want the top school system in the city, then you should look at Alamo Heights. Though, you are talking about older homes, inside the loop, etc. Things that you said you didn't want. Plus, you are going to get a lot less home for your money, and with 4 kids, that might be an issue for you. Let me know if you want any more info on TR!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio