Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 03:15 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times

Advertisements

Be careful when hiking.

A 27-year-old man is dead after he and a woman were allegedly robbed during an outing on the 6900 block of the Border Brook trail system on San Antonio's Westside on Thursday night, June 29, according to officials with the San Antonio Police Department.

A sign posted at the trailhead showed the area closes at sunset.

It also showed that this was not the first time there had been gunfire in the area because the sign was full of bullet holes.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...g-18178872.php

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2023...ding-the-area/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2023, 03:34 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Different circumstances but not the first time this has happened at this trailhead. Anywhere south of Bandera and south of Fort Sam I avoid running by myself and obviously and am never out in the dark by myself without heavy lighting and a buddy.

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/loc...-jogging-trail

Old 06-30-2023, 04:01 PM

I don't want to be insensitive, but it doesn't look like a random kill.

Old 06-30-2023, 04:26 PM

61 posts, read 45,096 times
Default Not insensitive,

I suppose you could've substituted the word "Hit",as in " gang hit" Elnina, instead of random kill. This word pair smacks of road kill. Random hit. I guess is a little more euphemistic sounding then random kill. Murder is what it was, right? All that a murderer needs is a motive and an opportunity.
I believe your hunch is correct Elnina. It seems like a set up. If street smarts tells one not to go into an area known for violence, then do not go. They should have known better.
No, I don't know. One ,and even the police don't know if robbery or a gang hit was the motive?
God help them all now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't want to be insensitive, but it doesn't look like a random kill.

Old 06-30-2023, 10:11 PM

They didn't harm the woman. She might know something.

Old 07-04-2023, 01:33 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times
This is a very interesting story. What were the 2 people doing at 9:30 pm at the trails? Most of these trails don't even have lighting, so it must of been very, very dark. If it would of been a park, it's possible they were there just chatting or whatever, but no, they were at the trails where there's nobody after sunset and and also no lights. I don't know the details of this specific trail but sometimes the trees are so tall, that even the moon doesn't break through. The only thing out at the trails at this hour is ghosts.

Having said that, I agree that it was not random. She definitely knows something. It might of been a drug deal gone bad. Normally robbers would not risk life and limb for a few bucks. And what kind of weirdo lurks in the bushes in total darkness waiting for someone to show up at that hour? What if nobody shows up? Yes this story has a lot of loose threads. I wouldn't be surprised if it was premeditated or these guys shot him because he wouldn't pay them for the drugs he had already consumed.

Old 07-04-2023, 08:32 AM

Default Suspicion lurking in the bushes?

It could be. Normal people do not lurk in bushes. Sure. However a crack head or meth head might lurk in the bushes and rob people to get money for their next fix. Never mind Heroin which is cut with fentanyl nowadays. I know they will steal. I have a suspicion that some of the people begging for money on street corners are using this money for drugs. One never knows.
I lost a work friend to fentanyl. We all knew that he was a recreational cocaine user because he never seemed to have enough money by the end of the month. Plus, many times he wouldn't show up on Mondays.
Eventually, over the years I got to know his brother, mom etc. In the end Mike ended up fired from work. Then one day out of the blue I DID get a call from Mike's mother when she told me in tears that Mike was indeed dead from a fentanyl overdose. Mike had left the night before and the girlfriend "simply did knot know what had happened". His body had been moved the night before and so he simply was "Found" by his "girlfriend" in the morning on the front floor, passenger side of his own Jeep. Dead. She changed her stories of course.
Normally robbers would not risk life and limb for a few bucks. And what kind of weirdo lurks in the bushes in total darkness waiting for someone to show up at that hour? What if nobody shows up? Yes this story has a lot of loose threads. I wouldn't be surprised if it was premeditated or these guys shot him because he wouldn't pay them for the drugs he had already consumed.[/quote]

Old 07-04-2023, 11:51 AM

A meth head that is high is most likely hiding from paranoid thoughts and hallucinations. Even after being sober for many years the hallucinations and paranoia stay around. I’ve worked in mental health crisis centers and have never met a meth head that is intentionally malicious. They’re more scared then anything. I’ve even met people who have been sober for five years who are still feeling the same paranoia they felt when they were using.

Someone that is craving and has a predisposition to aggressive behavior may be hiding in bushes to rob someone, though. At least in Austin meth is so common that you can just ask someone on the street for some and they can nab some. I think that this was premeditated and there is something afoot.

Old 07-04-2023, 05:18 PM

Default Sure Ashbeigh,

It has been estimated , or judged by professionals that 66% of the people incarcerated in state penitentiaries are mentally ill. These people are too unpredictable. I would not trust these people if they were still users. At all. Because one can never tell what they might be thinking.
I’ve even met people who have been sober for five years who are still feeling the same paranoia they felt when they were using.

Someone that is craving and has a predisposition to aggressive behavior may be hiding in bushes to rob someone, though. At least in Austin meth is so common that you can just ask someone on the street for some and they can nab some. I think that this was premeditated and there is something afoot.[/quote]

Old 07-05-2023, 05:43 AM

Leas Then Usual, I am a mental health professional. You may want to find a source for your statistic. It’s actually much higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio