Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 02:32 PM

20 posts, read 47,849 times

Advertisements

A new sign just went up on the Church Bistro/Theatre located on South Alamo in King William/SoFlo area. The sign reads "Closed, New Concept Coming Soon." Any idea what's moving into the Church bistro/theatre?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 03:00 PM

5 posts, read 26,690 times
Here's a quote from a newsletter I get.

"We are excited and pleased to announce that we are opening a second location. Casbeers at the Church. It will be located at 1150 South Alamo in the historic King William District. It was originally built in 1912 as The Alamo Methodist Church and has recently been used as a dinner theatre under the Alamo Street Theatre and The Church Bistro and Theatre names.
We will continue to operate the Blanco Road location Tues-Fri for lunch only. No dinners and no live music.

Casbeers at the Church will be open Mon-Sat for lunch and dinner and we will present all live music at this location. There will be a stage and seating for about 80 downstairs and also a beautiful patio area.
Upstairs in "The Church" will be a 160 seat theatre where we will present live performances in a concert style setting. Food will be served downstairs only and we plan to have a full bar. We will offer the same menu we now serve with some additions including daily plate lunch specials.

We hope you are as excited about our new project as we are.
We will announce more details and opening date soon."

Old 06-03-2008, 03:09 PM

129 posts, read 513,048 times
Dang-Octoboy-You beat me to it! But you have so much more info than I could provide. I just heard a couple days ago they were moving to South Alamo, but I didnt realize the old one would stay open.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:24 PM

20 posts, read 47,849 times
Wow, you guys rock! So quick and full of info...thanks Octoboy and SAnativegirl!!

Old 06-03-2008, 04:42 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Interesting! It's such a great building. The owners did an amazing job restoring it.

I wonder how the resident ghost will like Casbeers.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:26 AM

109 posts, read 387,836 times
Well they say that change can make ghosts even more active! Hmmm...a must see!

Does anyone know when it will be open? I like the original Casbeers, it will be interesting to see how (or if) this one keeps the same atmosphere.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:18 PM

164 posts, read 555,443 times
It's open now! It's supposed to be pretty cool!

Old 07-19-2008, 10:03 AM

109 posts, read 387,836 times
Sweet! I will have to check it out next week.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:44 PM

791 posts, read 3,960,300 times
A couple of my friends went to a show there this past week and said they haven't done anything at all with the downstairs - the church pews are all still exactly the same as before - so the vibe in the main area is not very conducive to getting up and clapping or dancing around and really getting into the show. You just sit there in a row, listening to the music. Hopefully the Casbeers folks will address that over time. That said, my friends said the upstairs (what I'm guessing used to be the choir loft) was fantastic. It's smaller, more intimate, and the acoustics are amazing... a great place to see small acts. I desperately miss the "old" Casbeers, but will check out the new place later this week to form my own opinion

Old 07-19-2008, 08:49 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Interesting. IIRC, the previous owner completely restored the pews to original, and they're gorgeous, so I'd hate to see them removed. However I fully agree that's not the right atmosphere for live music. Maybe they can be used in another capacity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio