Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 11:23 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,833,069 times

Advertisements

We have a HI-jacked Thread about a person looking for a house without people playing in the streets, and my significant other mentioned to me about the new trash containers being left in the streets. So, Now, I'll breach my virginity, and start a thread on this topic. The hoops, albeit, residential, and many HOA's prohibit them from being in the streets, let alone left overnite, even in cul-de-sacs, are illegal, and now, I'm seeing the new oversized trash containers, blue & black things, left on the streets 7 days a week. People aren't bringing them inside. They're actually using them as parking guards for their houses. (So people won't park in front of them) Up and down my street, (we don't have an HOA) there are dozens of them out for the whole week. Is there some sort of policy that the city will implement that gets these things off the streets within 24 hours of emptying, as to them being a public nuisance as well as an eyesore? I have asked the neighbors to bring them in, and one stated, that her other neighbor has parties and many friends visiting in the summer now that school is out, and the can makes a perfect block for her house so her children can play in the front yard and skate and blah-blah-blah all the time w/o accidentally hitting someones car or vice/versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 11:36 AM

380 posts, read 1,279,650 times
Sounds like you might consider moving from your area, someplace where you have no neighbors, or even into an HOA so you don't have to deal with it things like this.

But to be honest something tells me you wouldn't be happy there either. Just my Op.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:50 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,833,069 times
If they're are doing it in one hood, it will follow, moving? The statement, was to voice a topic for discussion. I can drive over the things if I want, they are just there. I was reading in other threads and opened one on the topic, with the new trash cans per se.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:23 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
I don't know if this an ordinance, but on the cosa website it says to remove your cans from the curb by 10PM after they've been emptied.

Solid Waste Division - Automation Do's and Don'ts

I know my neighborhood is cracking down on people leaving them in their driveways, and they are going to start giving some sort of ticket. We have an HOA, though. It got me off my butt to go build something on the side of the house to sort of screen them.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:25 PM

529 posts, read 2,711,035 times
Wow! Dozens on the street 24/7. Sounds awful!
But good idea to keep people from parking in front of your house all the time. When I first moved to a neighborhood that had very small front yards, I really didn't mind my neighbors parking in front of my house. I figured that it's not my street. But after a couple of years of having it happen all the time (all day/all night) it did become a annoying

I looked on the Sanantonio.gov website under garbage collection. Lot's of info but nothing requiring people to take them off the street.

Yep, HOA sounds like a way to go. But just because the HOA has that rule, doesn't mean they will enforce it.

I feel for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
We have a HI-jacked Thread about a person looking for a house without people playing in the streets, and my significant other mentioned to me about the new trash containers being left in the streets. So, Now, I'll breach my virginity, and start a thread on this topic. The hoops, albeit, residential, and many HOA's prohibit them from being in the streets, let alone left overnite, even in cul-de-sacs, are illegal, and now, I'm seeing the new oversized trash containers, blue & black things, left on the streets 7 days a week. People aren't bringing them inside. They're actually using them as parking guards for their houses. (So people won't park in front of them) Up and down my street, (we don't have an HOA) there are dozens of them out for the whole week. Is there some sort of policy that the city will implement that gets these things off the streets within 24 hours of emptying, as to them being a public nuisance as well as an eyesore? I have asked the neighbors to bring them in, and one stated, that her other neighbor has parties and many friends visiting in the summer now that school is out, and the can makes a perfect block for her house so her children can play in the front yard and skate and blah-blah-blah all the time w/o accidentally hitting someones car or vice/versa.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I don't know if this an ordinance, but on the cosa website it says to remove your cans from the curb by 10PM after they've been emptied..
This is law in the city code - going back to before the city issued its containers. When I was on the board of my HOA, I had to research this issue and someone from the solid waste division sent me a copy of the law.

If neighbors' cans are in the street more than 24 hours before or after collection day, just call 311 and report it to Code Enforcement. (The window they can be at the curb is narrower than that, but I don't have time to look it up right now. )

Old 06-21-2008, 12:58 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,821,312 times
We have the "Can Nazi" here in Westcreek. Can out too early..get a ticket.
Can comes in too late...get a ticket! Can Nazi and Grass Nazi could very well be the same individual.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:24 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
You could just shorten his name to Crass Nazi, or Gran Nazi. I don't think our HOA has one of those, yet.....but I know we're being told to go ahead and comply now, before they hang us up by our toenails.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:48 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,079,726 times
Default HOA enforcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
You could just shorten his name to Crass Nazi, or Gran Nazi. I don't think our HOA has one of those, yet.....but I know we're being told to go ahead and comply now, before they hang us up by our toenails.
This spring I left my trashcan out beyond 24 hours and I got a HOA letter. It wasn't more than 48 hours and I'm sure it coincided with the usual "driving around looking for infractions" day. If all rules were enforced with this much efficiency, we'd all have problems.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:33 AM

679 posts, read 2,833,358 times
They are generally required to be removed from the street so many hours after pickup. They aren't allowed to be stored in the public street. Where I'm from, it is a $500 fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio