Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:18 AM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,507 times

Advertisements

I've read a couple threads that refer to people not being allowed to park on the street in their own neighborhood, and that if people park on the street then only one car can drive down (and certainly not a moving van). Is this "normal" for San Antonio? How about further out in Stone Oak, or in Schertz/Cibolo? I'm used to living on nice wide streets where even if people park on both sides, there is still room for cars to drive down - in both directions! Where should I try to move for wider streets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 07:32 AM

529 posts, read 2,711,848 times
Crestway Rd in Windcrest is really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by frootloop6 View Post
I've read a couple threads that refer to people not being allowed to park on the street in their own neighborhood, and that if people park on the street then only one car can drive down (and certainly not a moving van). Is this "normal" for San Antonio? How about further out in Stone Oak, or in Schertz/Cibolo? I'm used to living on nice wide streets where even if people park on both sides, there is still room for cars to drive down - in both directions! Where should I try to move for wider streets?

Old 07-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
I've read a couple threads that refer to people not being allowed to park on the street in their own neighborhood, and that if people park on the street then only one car can drive down (and certainly not a moving van). Is this "normal" for San Antonio? How about further out in Stone Oak, or in Schertz/Cibolo?
It's difficult to pin this issue down to an area of town. Some HOAs with streets that are wide enough to accommodate street parking prohibit it. My advice would be to include it on a checklist of things that you consider in your search. Besides looking for "no parking" signs, if you move into an HOA neighborhood, you will definitely want to review whether street parking is one of the rules enforced by the HOA. Since house-hunting is typically done during the workday, it's really going to be hard for you to tell whether street parking is an issue in need of enforcement unless you visit the neighborhood in the evening on a weekday.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:59 AM

791 posts, read 3,960,605 times
Quote:
I'm used to living on nice wide streets where even if people park on both sides, there is still room for cars to drive down - in both directions! Where should I try to move for wider streets?
You will probably want to avoid any of the older neighborhoods in town. Most residential streets inside 410 (and some areas inside 1604) were built three car widths across, only occasionally four. That's not to say that you can't navigate these streets, it's just that if two cars are parked on the street directly across from each other, most times only one car will be able to pass through at a time. One car will have to pause, do a friendly little San Antonio steering wheel wave, tip the hat and let the other car through. Just one of those hick things we have to endure here in hicksville.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:11 AM

841 posts, read 1,747,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteDF View Post
You will probably want to avoid any of the older neighborhoods in town. Most residential streets inside 410 (and some areas inside 1604) were built three car widths across, only occasionally four. That's not to say that you can't navigate these streets, it's just that if two cars are parked on the street directly across from each other, most times only one car will be able to pass through at a time. One car will have to pause, do a friendly little San Antonio steering wheel wave, tip the hat and let the other car through. Just one of those hick things we have to endure here in hicksville.
Sometimes in the old neighborhoods, the width varies street by street. For example, in Monte Vista, Kings Highway is HUGE, but some of the other streets are very narrow. In my 'hood of Monticello Park, Mary Louise is very wide, but the next street over (Furr) is narrow.

I actually really like the way the street widths vary - it gives the neighborhoods character. Narrow streets, however, are inherently safer because they cause traffic to slow down. Unfortunately, in some new subdivisions, the narrow streets are too packed with cars because the driveways aren't large enough to accomodate many vehicles (few park in the garages). Our old neighborhoods have long, long driveways (the garages being at the back of the lot) so there aren't nearly as many cars on the street. I do like the friendly waves that we have to do in the old 'hoods.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:30 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
The city was going to make my street a "no parking this side" on one side of the street. The neighbors fought it and it still is parking on tqwo sides. The reason to fight it is that it keeps the speeds down. If there are no cars parked, the cars travel at 40 or 50 miles an hour. With cars on both sides, they need to slow down and it keeps it safer. We tried for speed bumps and stop signs, the street goes for 3 blocks with no stops. No go becasue of the driveways and after a survey, the city said there was no need for stop signs.
So, in the end, the parking on both sides makes things a little slow, and that's a good thing.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:40 AM

824 posts, read 1,816,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
The city was going to make my street a "no parking this side" on one side of the street. The neighbors fought it and it still is parking on tqwo sides. The reason to fight it is that it keeps the speeds down. If there are no cars parked, the cars travel at 40 or 50 miles an hour. With cars on both sides, they need to slow down and it keeps it safer. We tried for speed bumps and stop signs, the street goes for 3 blocks with no stops. No go becasue of the driveways and after a survey, the city said there was no need for stop signs.
So, in the end, the parking on both sides makes things a little slow, and that's a good thing.
ShaneSA is absolutely correct; narrow streets are good for neighborhoods because they control auto speeds, which improves walkability.

To the OP, as many others have said, wide streets change block-to-block in SA, even in historic neighborhoods. Your best bet would be moving to a suburban area (pavement widths for most new subdivisions are a minimum of 28' in SA, and wider in other suburbs).

Am I the only one who finds it really interesting that this paticular detail is that high a priority for a homebuyer?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:52 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,557,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
Am I the only one who finds it really interesting that this paticular detail is that high a priority for a homebuyer?
Nope, I find it interesting too and for me it would be a high priority.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:58 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
In my 'hood, the streets were made for horse and buggy traffic, so they're quite narrow. My own street is on of the widest and you still couldn't have cars on both sides with 2 cars driving.

I really really like narrow streets. I think it promotes neighborhood interaction, not to mention slows down traffic. Our streets have cobblestones, alas, they're all under the asphalt now.

In our area, though, there's not a lot of people parking on the streets in general.

Last edited by Chaka; 07-08-2008 at 10:45 AM..

Old 07-08-2008, 09:59 AM

791 posts, read 3,960,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Nope, I find it interesting too and for me it would be a high priority.
Really? That's interesting... I'm surprised that this is something people would specifically look for. Why is it important to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio