Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 09:16 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,045,611 times

Advertisements

I met a guy last night that trains dogs at Lackland--very expensive dogs, but for whatever reason they are dropped before completing the training program. These are dogs that would make great companions, or great guard dogs. They put them up for adoption (free) to the general public now--police departments across the country get first dibs, but any left over can be adopted by anyone. Just letting you know in case you or anyone is looking for a well-behaved $5000-$10000 dog!

Lackland Air Force Base - 341st MWD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 09:28 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,211,666 times
Thanks for the link.
I added it to my faves.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:32 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,826,957 times
A lady I worked with at Fort Sam actually was in the foster program. They take them in as puppies and help socialize them with people, other animals, etc and give them some basic training (sit, stay, no, etc). They get all the dog food, kennel, and all the other medical needs the dog requires through the program. At about 1 year of age or so, they have to give the dog back and he/she goes in to the official training program to be bomb sniffers, drug sniffers, whatever. Well, her last dog got dropped from the program and they are then put up for adoption. So definitely check them out! These dogs have been socialized to people, different surroundings, other animals, and also know a lot of commands.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 11,382 times
I live in Ottawa Ontario Canada and require a dog for protection due to a domestic matter. Does anyone know of any programs/agencies that help match up retired or other "work/service" dogs with people who have special needs like me? I can provide police/court documentation to support my immediate need. I don't necessarily need a registered trained attack dog, just one that is trained, housebroken and has an intimidating presence. I am willing to travel to get the dog. I will offer it a good home with lots of living space and large yard, with lots of attention and daily walks...
If anyone can help keep my family safe against my stalker, please let me kow ASAP, at : [mod]email address[/mod]
Thank you so much

Last edited by Bo; 10-10-2010 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: For safety and spam-prevention reasons, your email address was removed. Members can send you a Direct Message instead.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:15 PM

615 posts, read 1,523,848 times
Ooooh I like this link. Wife and I are looking for a lab right now. I wonder how they will be with the kids though.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:13 PM

Verio--many of the dogs are fostered by families prior to attending their official training program. I know of 2 people who adopted "wash outs" and have been very very happy.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:48 PM

615 posts, read 1,523,848 times
I'm not entirely sure that the information on that site is accurate anymore. We've emailed the MWD email address, no response. I've called the contact number, only to receive a voicemail repeatedly. The voicemail lists an email contact number, that gets bounced back as undeliverable.

Anyone know of a real contact in that department?

Thanks

Old 10-13-2010, 01:12 PM

Go to this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ng-foster.html

Email is: 341TRSPP@us.af.mil

Note this is an organizational email box so you may not get an immediate response--it may take a couple days (at least it does w/ my organization's box).

Old 10-14-2010, 09:11 AM

556 posts, read 2,088,022 times
We adopted our black lab through the program at Lackland - she was our foster for her first year - and when she didn't meet the minimum requirements medically, she was discharged and we got first right of refusal on adopting her. She is AMAZING - and all of these dogs are well socialized, highly exposed to all kinds of environmental stimuli and very well adjusted to spending time 'alone' as well.

I will say - that anyone adopting one of these dogs needs to keep in mind, these dogs were bred to WORK - and our female at 7 years of age has a toy drive and level of determination unlike any dog we've ever owned. She is focused, driven, high energy, happy, and OBSESSED with retrieving - to the point that if we remove all her toys, she will find a gum wrapper and bring it to you and place it on your leg, hoping you will 'throw it' - she can entertain herself for HOURS dropping items into our pool, and diving to the bottom to retrieve them. She is AMAZING....but she would not do well as a speed bump in a quiet home....she is very much "ON" and "Ready" She's only really decided she has a 'warm/fuzzy' side for people in the last couple years - she was pretty intense her first 5 years or so. She's always been wonderful with people - but until recently, she saw people as her avenue to work, not really as sources of affection.

We will definitely adopt another dog from this program in the future....because this is the type of dog we like to share our home with....but if you prefer a mild/quiet dog who is content to lay at your feet each evening during tv time....one of these military dogs might not be the best choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio