Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 01:42 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
BTW I havent heard of a health department here in San Antonio. but then again I'm new here (well almost) I wish that the health department here would do like the Health department in LA County. They would hang Letter grades from A to C on their doors and places were the consumer will see them. and they also showed up un anounced!.
I agree, svg. I thought this was a great concept when I visited LA last year. It gave customers (real or potential) an instant idea of what they may be getting from a restaurant.

--Dim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 01:49 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Quote:
BTW I havent heard of a health department here in San Antonio
Yeah, I don't think we have one. I'm sure the one in LA County was stupendous! Maybe our city could call your old city and get some pointers!

Old 07-01-2008, 03:12 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Well being that I used to eat there almost daily, the place was pretty clean, untill that guy showed up.

BTW I havent heard of a health department here in San Antonio. but then again I'm new here (well almost) I wish that the health department here would do like the Health department in LA County. They would hang Letter grades from A to C on their doors and places were the consumer will see them. and they also showed up un anounced!. The Bexar Coundy HD takes bribes, Calls two weeks in advance, and is very tolerant.
The San Antonio Metro Health District is City and County (There is no Bexar County HD specifically). If you have any concerns regarding their behaviour, report it ASAP. I know many of their staff and can assure you what you describe is NOT the current norm for SAMHD.

The main site-
San Antonio Metropolitan Health District

For reporting food complaints -
San Antonio Metropolitan Health District

Old 07-01-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Yeah, I don't think we have one. I'm sure the one in LA County was stupendous! Maybe our city could call your old city and get some pointers!

San Antonio Metropolitan Health District represents the City and County.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:20 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
San Antonio Metropolitan Health District represents the City and County.
I was actually being quite sarcastic. But thanks!

Old 07-01-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I was actually being quite sarcastic. But thanks!
Sorry.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:40 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,178,320 times
When I first saw the subject, I thought this was another thread about underground public transportation in SA. After reading it, I wish it was.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:33 PM

119 posts, read 430,704 times
I'm so worn out from Subway and Taco Bell, the two most accessible fast food places in this country. When we were on the road I went to so many and saw so many revolting things that you can't imagine. Or wouldn't want to. Mind you, that a lot of these were connected to a gas station. But, yeah when you're hungry you lower your standards a bit. But no more. Anyways, we went to the Taco Bell on Bandera close to Huebner (sp?) and I watched as the same guy that took my money at the register made my bean burrito with no gloves and then as he handed it to me I noticed that remnants of bean were all stuck under his fingernails. Oh God, that was digusting. I took it, but trashed it. Oh, and the women's restroom at Taco Bell on Culebra and Grissom never has soap. You have to get a key for the restroom that's connected to this piece of wood and where do you think people lay it when they're in the restroom and what if they don't wash their hands?!? You expect me to use the restroom, wash my hands, and take this key attached to this wooden stick back to you?!?

Sorry my post went longer than I expected.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:54 PM

122 posts, read 512,812 times
I am so easily repulsed by restaurant cleanliness! I can't eat at so many places because of it, and I would LOVE the grading system on the doors as mentioned above. If they had grades A through F just as in school, then it could really give you an idea of what to expect. If a restaurant gets a D or F they should be closed temporarily or for good. It would be so easy to implement a system such as this. You know restaurants would get their butts in gear when they are losing money due to a low grade on the door.

Sidebar: When I was in Puerto Rico a few months ago, I had a HORRIBLE experience at Subway. Keep in mind restaurants in PR are governed by the FDA. I was in line to get my sandwich made. The girl taking the money was the same girl who wrapped and bagged the sandwiches. The customer before me bought a cookie, and when the cashier handed it to her she got a paper cut on her finger from the cookie wrapper. She looked at the blood coming out and then kind of looked around for a towel. She apparently didn't see one, so she decided the next best option was to SUCK ON HER FINGER! So, with her now bleeding and saliva cleaned finger she wrapped my sandwich. I was watching in horror as a tiny bit of blood was smeared on the white inner wrapper. She then started rolling it in the outer wrapper on which she smeared another small drop of blood. I looked at her in awe, and I said "I am not taking that sandwich!" She got defensive and said "Why, what's the problem?" I said "You got blood on my sandwich!" She hastily removed it from the wrapper and rewrapped it with the SAME bleeding finger, constantly sucking on it to stop the bleeding. Again, she got blood on the outer wrapper, not that I would have taken it anyways. This time she started almost yelling at me saying there was nothing wrong with the sandwich. I said very loud so all the customers could hear "I am NOT taking the sandwich you got YOUR BLOOD on it!" She called the other employee over, telling her in Spanish there was nothing wrong. The other employee instructed her to put gloves on. The second employee made me a new sandwich and I left. I was so astounded! I have been grossed out by Subway since, although I know I wouldn't have the same experience at all of them.

Oh, and the soda fountain at the Subway at Callaghan and I-10 has mold growing in the spouts, at least on the tea spout. Sick!

Old 07-01-2008, 09:04 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,505,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisco34 View Post
I am so easily repulsed by restaurant cleanliness! I can't eat at so many places because of it, and I would LOVE the grading system on the doors as mentioned above. If they had grades A through F just as in school, then it could really give you an idea of what to expect. If a restaurant gets a D or F they should be closed temporarily or for good. It would be so easy to implement a system such as this. You know restaurants would get their butts in gear when they are losing money due to a low grade on the door.

Sidebar: When I was in Puerto Rico a few months ago, I had a HORRIBLE experience at Subway. Keep in mind restaurants in PR are governed by the FDA. I was in line to get my sandwich made. The girl taking the money was the same girl who wrapped and bagged the sandwiches. The customer before me bought a cookie, and when the cashier handed it to her she got a paper cut on her finger from the cookie wrapper. She looked at the blood coming out and then kind of looked around for a towel. She apparently didn't see one, so she decided the next best option was to SUCK ON HER FINGER! So, with her now bleeding and saliva cleaned finger she wrapped my sandwich. I was watching in horror as a tiny bit of blood was smeared on the white inner wrapper. She then started rolling it in the outer wrapper on which she smeared another small drop of blood. I looked at her in awe, and I said "I am not taking that sandwich!" She got defensive and said "Why, what's the problem?" I said "You got blood on my sandwich!" She hastily removed it from the wrapper and rewrapped it with the SAME bleeding finger, constantly sucking on it to stop the bleeding. Again, she got blood on the outer wrapper, not that I would have taken it anyways. This time she started almost yelling at me saying there was nothing wrong with the sandwich. I said very loud so all the customers could hear "I am NOT taking the sandwich you got YOUR BLOOD on it!" She called the other employee over, telling her in Spanish there was nothing wrong. The other employee instructed her to put gloves on. The second employee made me a new sandwich and I left. I was so astounded! I have been grossed out by Subway since, although I know I wouldn't have the same experience at all of them.

Oh, and the soda fountain at the Subway at Callaghan and I-10 has mold growing in the spouts, at least on the tea spout. Sick!

I havnet seen grades D or F in any windows back in LA, but I do think that an F would be an instant closure.

And Saphire can be sarcastic all he wants, but please dont be dilusional you could really end up with a bad case of parasites squirming in your internals.

I used to work In beverage distribution, and food distribution and I've seen some ugly horrible things!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio