Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 01:48 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
OK, I'm convinced. They look exactly like the drawing on this website: Spider Identification Chart - Venomous or Dangerous?

I have so many that if I were looking I could go outside and find one in 2 or 3 minutes in the grass. Maybe I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. Guess I'll have to refrain from trying to pick them up (as if) since they can be somewhat poisonous.
THANKS! Mystery solved!
put on some gloves and catch one in a jar with a stick or brush. put it in the light and take a picture.
I've messed with various spider and never gotten bitten. Just be careful,and make sure you water you plants with shoes... My mother knew someone who got bitten by a brown recluse... swelled her feet up and I can't recall but I think she might have needed an amputation... don't worry I mess with those too (I know I'm stupid) and they're quite small and YOU know for sure its them if they have a violin shape on their back... don't kill spider with a checker patter on their back...those apparently eat Brown Recluses...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 05:08 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,586 times
This is a really good thread. Until yesterday, my response for any spider was to end it. Now, however, I look at the critter before I end it. If it looks safe, I'll relocate instead. However, if he/she starts to talk back to me, I may still end it.

--Dim

Old 07-03-2008, 06:20 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
I deport everything (haven't found any hobo spiders or the other extra scary kind). Except for one lizard that I'm not just deporting but tossing it out down the street. I have no idea how that thing keeps getting back in...

Old 07-03-2008, 07:57 AM

380 posts, read 1,279,956 times
Will cats eat spiders? I know they eat roaches and what not but I'm not sure bout spiders.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:09 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,697 times
pics, pics!

Old 07-03-2008, 04:56 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
I've been busy! I forgot all about the pics... didn't water the grass yesterday... I'll try tonight! (Although I don't need to water thanks to the rain!)

Old 07-14-2008, 07:14 PM

6 posts, read 19,293 times
I found two of those big wolf spiders. 2 days apart. My husband and I were watching tv and saw something run across. I thought it was a roach but when we full lit our living room it was that spider. I freaked. Then two days later, I was in the kitchen and was moving my trash can and saw something at the corner of my eye run under my Fridge. I looked and there it was. I panicked. I grabbed my son who was eating breaksfast at the table and threw him in his room and I tried calling my husband to come home from work to kill it but he didn't answer so I panicked and started crying. I threw my phone book at him and missed, then I got my big nursing book, snuck up behind him and splat!!!!! I hate those things. Sorry so long of a story.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:58 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRanch View Post
Will cats eat spiders? I know they eat roaches and what not but I'm not sure bout spiders.
Cats like the "hunt". If it's fast, they'll chase it...play with it....and sometimes nibble a little to see if it's tasty. My kitties moused scorpions in another house. I was ever so grateful. The love those little gekkos....ugly nekkid little things. But they like mosquitos and little spiders...I don't mind them OUTSIDE.

If it's a slow crawling bug, they just watch for entertainment.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:19 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,586 times
Has anyone seen a wolf spider or tarantula dig a "burrow" hole? The reason I ask is I've got two nice turret holes in my yard, one of which has a nice set of eyes that gleam back up at me when I manage to get a glimpse of whatever is inside. I don't want to go digging until I know what it is, though.

--Dim

Old 07-14-2008, 09:33 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
Has anyone seen a wolf spider or tarantula dig a "burrow" hole? The reason I ask is I've got two nice turret holes in my yard, one of which has a nice set of eyes that gleam back up at me when I manage to get a glimpse of whatever is inside. I don't want to go digging until I know what it is, though.

--Dim
Both will burrow, Dim. The wolf generally lines the burrow with webbing to catch things that fall in. Not sure a tarantuala does that.

Did you know tarantulas migrate seasonally? They will cross country en masse during certain seasons. Not sure when that is. My sister was camping up near Possum Kingdom Lake in the fall when they woke up in the middle of a "migration"! I have nightmares just from her recounting that story. Can you imagine unzipping the tent and finding a tarantula carpet???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: