Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:26 AM

5 posts, read 10,625 times

Advertisements

We are looking at living in this area. Been down twice and have settled on this area mentioned above. More specifically below Leon Valley outside of 410 to outside 1604 by no more than 3 miles inside the border of Talley Potranco and Masterson. Want to be above 90 and Lackland for sure.
My question. Could all give me insight into existing neighborhoods? We have looked at all the new homes neighborhoods such as Sundance Square, Monticello, Silver Oaks, Amhurst, and Meadows of Bridgewood. I really know nothing of anything but new home builder neighborhoods. I want to know some names of descent neighborhoods in the mentioned areas with existing homes in the $165,000 and under range - 3 or 4BR w/ 2 Car garages.
Thanks for the help. - I dont want an agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 12:30 AM

41 posts, read 108,866 times
Hey Roulette I live in the Silver Oaks subdivision and for the money the houses aren't bad. I have pretty good neighbors and I love the area. We are getting a brand new elementary so I don't know if youhave kids but that might be a plus. Bridgewood I am not a KB fan so I may be biased but I wouldn't buy in there. AMhurst is a pretty decent area and Monticello is pretty good but it is farther out. Sundance is that over by 90? I would personally keep my options to Potranco and north of that. Look in Laura Heights to I just had a buddy who bought in there and got a awesome deal on a house. Looks pretty nice.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:46 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,798,421 times
KB is buying back a house in one of the Sundance neighborhoods, from what I've been told due to structural issues. Not sure if they'll knock it down or not; the problem was pretty bad.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:55 PM

111 posts, read 714,817 times
Alamo ranch is right by Silver Oaks. Nice area - variety of builders w/ a lot of options to choose from. For the price range, Amhurst is the way to go. Not far down Patranco and you get more for your money there compared to Alamo Ranch. I live in Alamo Ranch (I like the location better), but that is just my opinion.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:01 PM

222 posts, read 706,864 times
If you purchase a KB home have a FULL inspection done yourself. We had one done when our home was complete and it cost almost 400.00 but was SO worth it. He caught a list of mistakes we never would have known about. He also inspected a few homes for us when we were looking prior to building and the guy was GOOD. If you can spring for it, it's ALWAYS worth it so you know exactly what you're getting into!

Old 07-16-2008, 10:27 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,673,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
KB is buying back a house in one of the Sundance neighborhoods, from what I've been told due to structural issues. Not sure if they'll knock it down or not; the problem was pretty bad.
Rare. Anything to do with soil (clay)?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:17 PM

41 posts, read 108,866 times
Default KB Buying Back?

Wow they are really buying back a house I am very suprised at that, must be pretty bad. Yeah I did the same thing with my Centex home with the inspector, definitely the way to go as he caught some things I would have never known about. Nothing major just little things that down the road could have led to some issues. Whatever builder you go with definitely go with an inspector. So anyone been to the Dick's Sporting Goods yet, curious to how it is?

Old 07-17-2008, 07:25 AM

5 posts, read 10,625 times
Default What about older established neighborhoods in that area

Thanks for the response so far. I have heard KB has a bad rep. In fact I had a lawyer down in San Antonio look at a contract with a contingency clause in it on building a home in Sundance. Short story is what KB told me about the contract having a contingency in it was a lie. The particulars of the contract was:
#1 - My house in Virginia sold by a certain date or contract was voided
#2 - I put $3000 dollars of earnest money down, if my house did not sell by said date then I was out $2500 and the other $500 returned to me and everyone go would go about their lives.
They wanted me to sign a loan application that I did NOT sign when I was doing the contract with contingency. Basically if I would have signed that they legally could have made me buy the house if Countrywide would have given me a loan or else I would have been in breach of contract. This is what set of warning bells in my head. It would not have been fun making two mortgage payments.
Lawyer had a look at the contract and said it was bogus and advised me definitely not to buy from KB because of issues he had heard about.

Now back to my question what are some ESTABLISHED neighborhoods in that area - done building but less than 15 yrs old.
We will be in an apartment in San Antonio until our house is sold in Virginia so I have at least three months.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:44 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,179,593 times
OP: I'm sure you meant US 90 since I-90 runs across the northern US from Seattle to Boston.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:12 PM

409 posts, read 1,562,084 times
I live on this side of town and really love it! I drive to the North side for work M-F but this is 'home'! Lots of new shopping/dining options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio