Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 07:22 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midorigreen View Post
We haven't noticed that much of a difference - I guess because we moved here from WA state only a year ago where things are REALLY expensive (especially in the San Juan Islands where we lived....) Even with the increase in prices - we're still better off here in San Antonio - I'm not sure everyone realized that....

All I can say is I'm so LUCKY we got our used Prius BEFORE gas started to really go up. We got it for 10,000 bucks which was a steal! There's no way we could get it for that, now......
Dang! That's a great bargain.

When I was looking for a used Prius in 2004, the ONLY one I could find was higher than new (12 month+ waiting list on new then) at $27K... so I went for the Civic Hybrid then instead. At the time, the gas savings wasn't a factor - it helped, but the $saved wasn't offset by the price at that time. I bought it more on principle, and because I was going to be commuting 120 miles/day for awhile.. I had long since decided when my old car died my next would be a hybrid, so I stuck to that. The current gas savings is a bonus.

The Man in SATX - I'd say I'm not significantly affected. That is, sure higher prices all around have an effect, but given our expense habits, it's not really had an impact. We spend maybe $20/month more in gas than before, which fits comfortably into our cushion. Our grocery bills have not really changed (+/- $20), but I was already working to adjust that down since we tended to buy a lot of higher end stuff. I had been trying to cut back before prices really jumped. So now, though my initial plan had been to spend less, our actual expense hasn't changed much, I'm just a bit more careful about what we buy.

Energy and water costs are the same as usual overall, even with my additional landscaping of late.

We rarely shop for 'stuff' - clothes, toys, etc. Most of our $ is spent on the house restorations, and so far, the costs there have not changed substantially yet. That will likely change as materials become more expensive and labor costs increase, but so far hasn't yet. Probably the big thing is travel, although we didn't have any trips planned for this year, so it's not hit us yet.

If my DH lost his job, yeah, we'd be hit hard, since we live off of his income. But his work isn't really affected directly by the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 08:24 AM

285 posts, read 677,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
you tell me, I just found out I'm going to have a new title and it's a scary one.. I'm definitely not old enough to be one of them
If we are all reading this correctly, CONGRATULATIONS on the best promotion you'll ever receive!

Lori

Old 07-23-2008, 08:30 AM

41 posts, read 148,112 times
Ditto on the congrats!! That's wonderful! BTW, if you need a "refresher" please feel free and come over and practice on the twins.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:35 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
ha ha, no need for a refresher.. the dogs are more than sufficient reminders and it wasn't exactly too long ago that the kids were kids..

Old 07-23-2008, 09:32 AM

2,397 posts, read 6,456,621 times
Congrats on your "promotion," rd! I joined those ranks myself in May. I just wish I lived there to babysit from time to time.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:42 AM

337 posts, read 826,430 times
From last year to this year the bills (CPS & Bexarmet) seem to be on track. I am lucky enough to work from home (when home) so gas is not really that hard on me. I do hate watching it increase though. I would guess that I am paying about $5-10 more per tank than last year.

I travel (planes) so I have definitely noticed the difference there and it is just getting worse by the day. With the ticket prices and the per bag fees flying is getting expensive.

I don't grocery shop that much so I don't really know about that.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:17 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
For people to sit here and say they have not been affected by what is happening is pure crap... everyone is affected... prices have and continue to go up in all of the food chain stores... delivery of items are affected by gas prices... there are a lot of companies who are now charging fuel delivery charges.

Who in the heck do you think pays those fuel charges?? You as the consumer... If you are saying you are doing less things then what you used to do before all of this hit the wall.. you are affected. San Antonio has been affected as well as every city in these United States.. no use in acting like you havent been affected.. you have been...
thank you for saying that! every time that you step into a grocery store, go to a movie, restaurant, gas station, etc., you ARE paying MORE than you were just even a few months ago. Even a savings acct is only paying you 1/2 of what it was paying a few months ago.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:23 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Oh RD ENJOY it!!! It is sooooooo wonderful to get to spend your $$$ on FUN things for them vs the gotta gets! Plus, you get to spoil them and hand them back!!!

Congrats!

Old 08-18-2008, 12:26 AM

34 posts, read 122,828 times
prices are still great at the fort sam px/commissary/ gas station

Old 08-18-2008, 09:06 AM

140 posts, read 508,808 times
We feel the crunch also, we work construction and with everyone cutting back on everything, less peple want renovatons done on their home when they are broke! The food and gas prices kill us when we are slow, Ramen, beans, and those cheap bags of chicken from walmart work best for us during this time! And no road trips
Clothes are not the biggest necessity because I stay at home and homeschool so they have no real need for new stuff, and who cares how the teacher is dressed! And my man works in his clothes so he can do without for a while!
But I also have noticed the SUV prices too, have you check Craigslist, wow! And boats, if you want a boat nows the time to buy, may not be able to afford to take it out on the lake but cover it and keep it cared for and you got a nice boat for cheap! I should be saving I know but the prices are so good right now on craigslist i can't help myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio