Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,048 times

Advertisements

I have signed a lease for a room in a shared student appartment about 3 days ago. I am outside the US and was supposed to start my school in 10 days time. I have now some circumstances and will not be coming to the US. Will it be ok to cancel the lease or will I be held responsible for the whole lease period ? By the way, the lease does not mention anything about such situation.

Unofortunately, I have already paid the deposit and even paid 2 months in advance. Will I loose all the money as well or just the deposit ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 09:58 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
Normally you'll lose 1.5 x the monthly rent, but it depends on what your particular contract states.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:02 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGuy77 View Post
I have signed a lease for a room in a shared student appartment about 3 days ago. I am outside the US and was supposed to start my school in 10 days time. I have now some circumstances and will not be coming to the US. Will it be ok to cancel the lease or will I be held responsible for the whole lease period ? By the way, the lease does not mention anything about such situation.

Unofortunately, I have already paid the deposit and even paid 2 months in advance. Will I loose all the money as well or just the deposit ?
I'm so sorry this happened to you. Signing a lease can be a tricky situation in the best and most honest agreements. Without seeing or knowing the specific terms of your lease, it would be hard to answer your questions.

Read it very carefully and make notes about the details that pertain to breaking a lease. Contact the person or company that you have made this agreement with and discuss your situation. If they are unreasonable, then you may need legal help. Also, if you have only just signed this three days ago, some leases have a "opt out" period of 3-5 days. You may be able to withdraw if you act quickly. Look for that kind of wording in your lease.

Are you registered with a local college or University? It sounds like it if you were to start school in 10 days. If you are officially enrolled and registered, contact the university's legal aid or ombudsman for advice or assistance. You may not be "in" school yet, but if you've paid any money (even if you may request a refund soon), you should be qualified for these student services.

Good luck to you.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:36 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times
What it will cost you is totally dependent on the lease terms. Read the lease and see what there is about cancelling. Since your a student in a shared housing set-up, there may be a clause about opting out.
Good luck.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:23 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times
Yes, definitely a lot of questions, signed it 3 days ago? OUt of the country? Paid all that in advance? Ok, must have done this with credit cards, so, if so, or however, electronic transactions have stop clauses. Most leases have clauses, especially if you dont move in, also within a 3 day period, so, act fast. Prove why you cant. San Antonio is a very forgiving city when it comes to leases in such cases. The reasons and the lease holder are the most important factors. Get in touch with him/her immediately and explain the circumstances. Most likely with this much time, they can re-lease the room with no penalty. You need to act fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio