Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 05:08 PM

259 posts, read 909,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun-Soo View Post
WE NEED TO STOP SPRAWL NOW! How much longer can we go being so spread out. All of these close minded people who think "This is America, we can space out all we want because we've got the land" are brainless. Open your mind people... NO WONDER THE WORLD HATES US!
I'll believe that the world hates us when people stop wanting to visit/move here.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:09 PM

634 posts, read 2,922,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsndip View Post
Stop sprawl now - in fact, why don't we cap all families at two children, and make it illegal to have more? Put everyone in block style apartments... Forbid anyone from actually living in or making use of "countryside". For that matter, why so spread out across the country? Why not make everyone move to NYC...
Sorry, but STUPID AMERICAN ATTITUDE!

Our countryside is useful untouched.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
I believe that the world hates us when people stop wanting to visit/move here.
You totally bypassed the real meaning of my statement to comment on that?

Old 08-01-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
You totally bypassed the real meaning of my statement to comment on that?
It's obvious what your intention was. And, as far as stretching your original post, I think you did a bit of that yourself. Going from "Why so excited about new stores" to "The world hates America and the typical American stupidity."

Old 08-01-2008, 05:14 PM

732 posts, read 3,553,234 times
I think the majority of people do what they can to support small, independant businesses. This has to be balanced with what their budget, amount of free time, and their priorities allow. If the city were built differently - say, from day one....it might support more families living closer to the city center but.....what's done is done. You are asking people to give up something they have always known and.....these types of changes take time.

I don't think it's fair to criticize others for embracing what they CHOOSE to embrace. By lecturing others or by coming across as condescending, the point (and it IS a valid point) is lost. If you want things to change, lead by example and wait for others to take notice.

Personally, I do the best I can. I drive a hybrid and conserve as much water and energy possible etc. That said, I HATE being made to feel guilty for not doing more. Alternatively, I take note when I see someone going out of their way to make a difference and it inspires me to do more and try harder. I guess my point is that one might make more of an impact by preaching less and DOING more.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Why do you care?
I'm worried for our environment and economy. Shouldn't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsndip View Post
This is Texas - we've got land-a-plenty. Some would say "wasted countryside" is land that no one uses for anything productive.
Again, stupid attitude. I'm not hating on you, but I'm just being honest. Besides, I thought Texans are proud of their land being untouched by development. I think the people posting here supporting sprawl are not real Texans.. they seem like transplant yuppies who want more big box retailers to spend there money on. Also restaurants to go get grossly fat in.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
It's obvious what your intention was. And, as far as stretching your original post, I think you did a bit of that yourself. Going from "Why so excited about new stores" to "The world hates America and the typical American stupidity."
Please explain to me what you thought my intention was....

If you're thinking I'm downing my country, you are completely wrong. I'm overly patriotic, I want the best for my country and I'm taking a stand now.
What is so bad about living green and living environmental lifestyles?

Old 08-01-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I'm worried for our environment and economy.
Exactly the point. These shops don't get built unless there are consumers willing to patronize them. The shops go where the consumer demand is. What's wrong with that?

Old 08-01-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
If you're thinking I'm downing my country, you are completely wrong.
Count the number of times you've mentioned stupid Americans, fat Americans and the "fact" that the world hates us in this thread.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:27 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Keep hurling the insults. Says a lot about you. When you have something substantial or something that even remotely resembles a solution to all of our environmental and economic problems, wake me up. And I don't mean for your solution to be that we all need to live downtown. That's not feasible.

As of right now, you just sound like you're mad at the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio