Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2008, 07:49 AM

61 posts, read 324,996 times

Advertisements

Would any of you move from an exemplary district (Hendersonville) to a recognized school in New Braunfels? I have already raised 3 children and we have 1 9 year old going into the 4th grade. Our choice is NB schools (smaller district and closer to town) or Comal schools (much larger and growing and further out). Our current schools and housing situation allows us to live in a wealthy district in Tennessee where the schools are great (scores of 100% in both reading and math and .001% reduced price lunches so you can imagine how easy it is for parents to be there helping!). When we get to NB we will take quite a dive income to be nearer family etc. and we are confused about the best route for schools. I personally think Texas schools are generally better than Tennessee schools (just a personal observation) so to go from exemplary schools there may be no different than recognized schools here. I think being in a smaller system might be easier to swallow than a huge and growing district like Comal ISD. I know they are both good systems I just wondered if any of you have any experience with this situation? We have land in Comal ISD but will not be able to build for a couple of years. But I think for the next 8 years we could be very happy in NB proper while we network our way back into our lives so if she starts in NB she could stay there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 07:19 PM

89 posts, read 259,025 times
The rating system in Texas can be very misleading...and it is not always real equitable. Before you make your decision I would urge you to visit the school and speak with the Principal or other administrator. You will get a much better feel for the school by doing that than by basing your decision on a rating issued by the state. My experience has been that it is the "people" at the school that make it what it is...and not a label applied by TEA.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:19 PM

61 posts, read 324,996 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you, Tennessee is the same way, testing, testing, testing. Studying for the test and missing out on so much more if you ask me to comply with the state. We are in an exemplary school here and the environment is not very warm or inviting. But everyone comes here because of the test scores only. I have visited a campus in NB I like very much and it was due to the Principal being AWESOME! The kids were very diverse and they all seemed very happy. It was impressive and it was in a very poor area of town. Very different than where we are now. Interesting journey we have in front of us! (we tried to move last year but could not so we are back on our way down finally!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: