Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 12:59 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,446,962 times

Advertisements

Why would you not be allowed to speak spanish? The concord athletic club is at the concord building at jones maltsburger and 281. Other agreeable options are the palestra as well

Old 01-31-2007, 01:07 PM

244 posts, read 1,093,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0vemberHAWK View Post
You will feel uncomfortable in Alamo Heights if you are one or more of the following -

- Fat(unless you are a RICH white male). Other fatties are scoffed at and told to join the gym at the Quarry ASAP.

- Ugly(unless you are rich)

- Not rich

- Not white(If you are a non-white you must flaunt your $$$)

- Have a vehicle that is over 2 years old

- Not think Alamo Heights High School is the best at everything

- Are not a true 09'er
This is so funny to me, half of the men in the golf shop I went into (right next door to Chase) were fat, old white men. I forgot to mention that no one even acknowledged me when I walked in there either, and the shop isn't even that impressive. My local golf shop in Plano blows it away.

It's not like I don't even look like a taken care of kid. I sport Lacoste polos, drive an Infiniti, and I attract very hot girls. Only problem, I'm a blackie...definitely don't want those roaming the streets of Alamo Heights!

And no offense, if rich is a median income of $65k, that's not rich. Maybe upper middle class, certainly not rich.

I think Alamo Heights has an overinflated image of itself....trying to be a Highland Park, and failing at it. Oh yeah, and AHHS sucks!

Last edited by LongHornGuy86; 01-31-2007 at 01:23 PM..

Old 01-31-2007, 01:35 PM

UTSA are you talking about the edwin watts store? Not to mention the rate of discrimination in dallas is appalling. The only African Americans in highland park are baggers at tom thumb in HPV. You seem to wear your race on your sleeve and that's sad especially for someone that is my age. Alamo Heights isn't the greatest, but it's not that bad. I feel like an outsider in highland park, and I'm white, were Lacoste and RL, I go to SMU for godsake. Highland Park is a small town where everyone already knows each other, it made me feel like an outcast when I would go around freshman year, but now I feel much more comfortable. BTW one of my best friends at SMU actually works at Canyon Creek Golf Club in Richardson.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:59 PM

283 posts, read 1,837,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTSASTUD View Post
This is so funny to me, half of the men in the golf shop I went into (right next door to Chase) were fat, old white men. I forgot to mention that no one even acknowledged me when I walked in there either, and the shop isn't even that impressive. My local golf shop in Plano blows it away.

It's not like I don't even look like a taken care of kid. I sport Lacoste polos, drive an Infiniti, and I attract very hot girls. Only problem, I'm a blackie...definitely don't want those roaming the streets of Alamo Heights!

And no offense, if rich is a median income of $65k, that's not rich. Maybe upper middle class, certainly not rich.

I think Alamo Heights has an overinflated image of itself....trying to be a Highland Park, and failing at it. Oh yeah, and AHHS sucks!
Dont worry bout it man.

If you aint from Heights, then you wont like it. I know I dont.

And SA has an inflated image of itself as a whole.

People here think whatever is i SA is the best anywhere around.

Dallas > Houston > Atx > SA=CC

Old 01-31-2007, 03:33 PM

546 posts, read 3,106,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamsochill View Post
I would have to agree with utsastud, I have also had a bad experience while being in Alamo Heights, I am a 21 one year old female who went shopping in Alamo Heights, it was a trendy boutique, that is the only store in all of San Antonio that had a certain designers jewelery, so I decided to shop, when I walked in, it was just stares and not one word was said to me. I had to ask for help, when the store is a tiny little room, and not any other customers, but once I spent a good amount of money, they quickly fired up a convo. I just felt very uncomfortable, not even in beverly hills (I grew up about 20 minutes from there) have i felt like that.
I have a feeling you're talking about Sloan/Hall perhaps? If so, I think they're not so much snobby, more like they're on too much Xanax - zombie-like, they're ALWAYS like that, I think they train them to behave that way Nice store though, interesting, unusual stuff.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:22 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,886,782 times
I wish someone would post something positive about Alamo Heights. All I ever hear about it is negative. The people I've seen there are either negative or neutral. I've lived in SA all my life and I don't have a positive impression of it.

What's positive about Alamo Heights?

Old 01-31-2007, 07:51 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,379,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I wish someone would post something positive about Alamo Heights. All I ever hear about it is negative. The people I've seen there are either negative or neutral. I've lived in SA all my life and I don't have a positive impression of it.

What's positive about Alamo Heights?
I live there! Ok...in 09, but about 2 blocks outside the city limits.

Seriously......growing up in SA, Alamo Heights was always where you found the "old" money....that and Olmos Park and Terrell Hills. Many of the residents here are 3rd, 4th and even 5th generation San Antonians. Some of those "children" didn't quite make it so good as grandpa.....but still hold on to this area as "home". I don't get the snobbery feel as much as maybe a bit of "ownership" ...like outsiders taking over their hometown. It's not about money, race or anything.....just a few that feel like they own this part of town because of family ties. The newer wealthy areas have that snobbery....but it's from a different POV.

Think about it.....if a boutique clerk is looking down her nose at a customer....what does that really mean? Absolutely nothing!
I find there are a lot of people in this area that are just plain average folks that don't really care if they are in AH or not. It takes living here to figure it out. I like it.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
UTSA are you talking about the edwin watts store? Not to mention the rate of discrimination in dallas is appalling. The only African Americans in highland park are baggers at tom thumb in HPV. You seem to wear your race on your sleeve and that's sad especially for someone that is my age. Alamo Heights isn't the greatest, but it's not that bad. I feel like an outsider in highland park, and I'm white, were Lacoste and RL, I go to SMU for godsake. Highland Park is a small town where everyone already knows each other, it made me feel like an outcast when I would go around freshman year, but now I feel much more comfortable. BTW one of my best friends at SMU actually works at Canyon Creek Golf Club in Richardson.
I don't at all...my bad if I gave off that impression. Please enlighten me on the Dallas discrimination you have witnessed? Again, I'm not saying I have experienced anything bad in SA, just found my "treatment" to be very interesting.

HP has had a lot of racial problems, but the first black family moved in in '03, and had no problems. I think maybe two Hispanic familes there as well.

Look man, no offense really! Alamo Heights is a very nice place....some of the houses there are very nice.

I don't know if you're 21 yet, but there's a club downtown called Ghostbar that just opened up on top of the W Hotel. I just turned 21 and am going to check check check it out when I'm back up there!

Old 01-31-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I live there! Ok...in 09, but about 2 blocks outside the city limits.
Also, you have been awesome on here, despite the numerous insults that have been thrown at your hometown. AH is actually very impressive.

If more people who lived there were like you, I think it would maybe be more well liked around the city (for some reason, outsiders do say negative things about it).

I remember, I was looking at Audi's, and the salesman was telling me horror stories about how customers from AH would walk in, treat everyone poorly, demand things, etc. He then said people in The Dominion were the nicest ever.

I don't even think it's about race, I think some AH people think they own the entire town. But now I know that there are some cool, nice, down to earth people in AH!

Old 01-31-2007, 08:58 PM

wCat and UTSA my parent's house is also in 09 but in San Antonio city limits. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in San Antonio. I didn't go to AHHS but I had tons of friends that did. I also had friends that went to St. Mary's hall and Mac and gasp roosevelt. UTSA, did you know depending on the Cavander that own's the audi dealership he either lives in AH, Oakwell Farms or the dominion. I can understand why people from AH treat the Audi people like that since they moved the dealership from 410 and nacogdoches I would treat them like crap too! Also the discrimination is Dallas is pretty bad, I have seen it first hand. Look at preston hollow elementary where the principal was putting almost all students that weren't white in to ESL classes so the white kids would be in the same class per grade level. Look at an area like Oak Cliff, for all purposes it's been abandoned by whites. Plano and Frisco are a testament to the on going white flight from Dallas. I work in a Large national department store in north Dallas and have women ask me to wait on them because they didn't want "those people" (actual quote from a lady) to wait on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio