Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 11:07 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube665 View Post
Im sure college is a guarantee... to the kids that go to Reagan HS anyway.
Wow. Have you ever heard what assumptions do to a person?

They make an ass out of you and me. That was ridiculous. (feel free to edit if that's deemed inappropriate language)

I bet i can find a handful of parents who bust there butts making $65,000 (give or take) a year to live in NEISD so their kids have a good education and home experience and then cannot guarantee a college education to their children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 12:02 PM

472 posts, read 1,792,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Wow. Have you ever heard what assumptions do to a person?

They make an ass out of you and me. That was ridiculous. (feel free to edit if that's deemed inappropriate language)

I bet i can find a handful of parents who bust there butts making $65,000 (give or take) a year to live in NEISD so their kids have a good education and home experience and then cannot guarantee a college education to their children.
That was more of a generalization...sorry.

I will say what I said before though which is when your grandparents went to college and your parents went to college then going to college is the norm, almost a "guarantee". Opposed to when one says "Im the first in my family to graduate from high school". This is probably something not commonly heard from a Reagan student.

Also when I say Regan HS I'm actually referring to all those who go to schools in the other San Antonio far away from any schools near S.W. Military Dr, W. Commerce and East Houston St.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
That was more of a generalization...sorry.
Fair enough. A generalization is better.

Quote:

Also when I say Regan HS I'm actually referring to all those who go to schools in the other San Antonio far away from any schools near S.W. Military Dr, W. Commerce and East Houston St.
This I tend not to agree with, though. Check out schools like Jay and Holmes. They have plenty of kids that don't make it to college and they're plenty far away from those areas.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Fair enough. A generalization is better.

This I tend not to agree with, though. Check out schools like Jay and Holmes. They have plenty of kids that don't make it to college and they're plenty far away from those areas.
Not too far really. When I say Reagan Im pretty much talking about all the schools outside 1604 between IH10 and 35N. Jay and Holmes are actually pretty close to W. Commerce.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:42 PM

130 posts, read 126,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
First of all, not everyone is cut out for college. Besides, college does not guarantee you a great paying job anywhere, not in SA, not in NYC or even EBF Egypt, for that matter. So, yes, college is a choice.

who said 'guarantee' anything?

If given the opportunity to 'stack the deck' more in your favor.., I suggest you go for it.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Not too far really. When I say Reagan Im pretty much talking about all the schools outside 1604 between IH10 and 35N. Jay and Holmes are actually pretty close to W. Commerce.

Wow, so you all are back to equating education with race.., and this is 2009! Education is POWER!!!

Thank G*d our new president did not use the 'crutch' of race or the crutch of not coming from 'money'...to say..,

'nahh, I can't go to college'

Never, never, never give up!

Old 04-20-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smis View Post
Wow, so you all are back to equating education with race.., and this is 2009! Education is POWER!!!

Thank G*d our new president did not use the 'crutch' of race to say..,

nahh, I can't go to college.

Never, never, never give up!
When was raced used, brought up, mentioned?

Old 04-20-2009, 01:03 PM

452 posts, read 1,028,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smis View Post
who said 'guarantee' anything?

If given the opportunity to 'stack the deck' more in your favor.., I suggest you go for it.
It seemed to be implied that with a college education, a great job is out there waiting. I know people who have mountains of college loan debt and no job to pay for these loans. On the other hand, I also know people, who learned their job with OTJ training and do quite well.

Unfortunately, too many of those people "stacking the deck" are hoping that opportunities will come pouring in. That's rarely happens.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
Unfortunately, too many of those people "stacking the deck" are hoping that opportunities will come pouring in. That's rarely happens.
So you are saying college is a waste of time and effort?

I have never been told during an interview, or said to someone I was hiring.., 'ohhh.,. you have a college degree?.., Yah, see, we were hoping to have someone a little less intelligent. Someone a little less determined and someone a little more prone to settling for status quo'.

NEXT!

If you can swing college $$ wise.., please do it.., if you can't, then borrow it.., if you can't do that.,. beg for it!

College proves to ANY employer that you can stick to something for at least 2 years and complete it.., they know no one stood over you and forced you to do it., you made a choice, you followed through and you completed it.., right there that sets you aside from someone who did not complete college.

Of course it all depends on what you want to do with your life.. but why not get as many options lined up as you possibly can in this awful and beautiful world.

Last edited by smis; 04-20-2009 at 01:27 PM..

Old 04-20-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
So I went to Clark, that's inside 1604...should I not have gone to college? What about Churchill? MacArthur? Madison? Alamo Heights?

Dum, dum dum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio