Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 04:20 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,904,875 times

Advertisements

I live in 09 and anytime I have to tell someone my address, I immediatly say it's NOT Alamo Heights. I prefer to call my hood "Bohemian Alamo Heights"-that makes it the liberal artsy hood. Thanks for the compliment googie. Just had to throw that in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 04:29 PM

139 posts, read 364,250 times
Yup, I will never forget the look on our mortgage brokers face the first time we gave her the address for this house we bought. She wasnt sure exactly where it was, so she asked which "main street" it was near. We told her and her face dropped further! She became totally flustered and speechless....making my husband and I furious!

Old 08-27-2008, 04:43 PM

33 posts, read 57,259 times
East Side= ******

Old 08-27-2008, 06:02 PM

141 posts, read 565,209 times
I herd that Reagan High School area out in Stone Oak was just " a bunch of rich white kids". That was just from a 2007 article on the Express News about the school. Also some people would bash about the West Side, South Side, and East side that its just some "getto" or has bad crime. Not all the those parts are nessary "Bad", in some way.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:32 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,017,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
You here it a lot on this board.

Yeap... trash lives in the NE .. the south and a lot of other parts of this town according to some members on this forum.. I look at it and grin and think to myself.. when they make those great comments.. Who knows if their best friends are from those parts of town they are saying is bad..

One thing for sure... prejudice and stereotyping will never die.. it is here to live with us forever!!

Old 08-27-2008, 07:53 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,062,982 times
I've seen people trash the Great Northwest subdivisions on this forum. The sad thing is, some of what they say about this area is true. But for every house whose inhabitants don't care, there are probably six or seven houses with families that do. Maybe more, maybe a little less--there's no way I can say exactly, but we've taken a beating over here with the foreclosure fiasco. My zip code was #1 in foreclosures for a while--and it may still be.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:06 AM

778 posts, read 2,505,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I've seen people trash the Great Northwest subdivisions on this forum. The sad thing is, some of what they say about this area is true. But for every house whose inhabitants don't care, there are probably six or seven houses with families that do. Maybe more, maybe a little less--there's no way I can say exactly, but we've taken a beating over here with the foreclosure fiasco. My zip code was #1 in foreclosures for a while--and it may still be.
Yea - I think there are many areas like that. I love my particular neighborhood, but if I had to drive through the other areas to get to it when I originally bought here, probably wouldn't have done it.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:03 PM

841 posts, read 1,749,439 times
Yep... and we have Googie throwing out aspersions upon my Monticello Park - just kidding. (I can understand your concerns.)

At my office, it's a running joke that one of the first questions asked of new employees is, "where do you live?" At lunch we tend to rib each other's choice... but I think we are fairly open minded. We may joke about who is the greatest "Urban Pioneer" in the office, but underlying the term is a sense of respect. Maybe it is just the profession (architecture), or maybe it is just our office location (downtown).

Now amongst our respective families, I think that those of us who have moved "back inside the loop" have encountered more stereotyping. In my extended family, I have cousins and in-laws who can't understand why in the world I would live where I do.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:33 PM

546 posts, read 3,106,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Yep... and we have Googie throwing out aspersions upon my Monticello Park - just kidding. (I can understand your concerns.)

At my office, it's a running joke that one of the first questions asked of new employees is, "where do you live?" At lunch we tend to rib each other's choice... but I think we are fairly open minded. We may joke about who is the greatest "Urban Pioneer" in the office, but underlying the term is a sense of respect. Maybe it is just the profession (architecture), or maybe it is just our office location (downtown).

Now amongst our respective families, I think that those of us who have moved "back inside the loop" have encountered more stereotyping. In my extended family, I have cousins and in-laws who can't understand why in the world I would live where I do.
Guilty as charged, sorry 'bout that, MontiRob! BUT as a former resident of the Deco District I just can't help myself sometimes.

I LOVE the homes there, such potential, but I just have a laundry list of aggravations regarding Monticello (mainly the whole slow-as-molasses "revitalization" thing, which WILL happen SOMEDAY - but the apathy on that front drove me mad, plus those mental ward apartments I lived in front of kinda didn't help , and that particular HEB and their lack of selection drove me batty and had me driving to Central Market more than I cared to, etc.).

I also agree with the stereotyping of that neighborhood and folks who move back inside the loop in general (a GREAT choice IMO; considering gas prices and the quick-moving revitalization of downtown, particularly Houston St., the ol' Pearl Brewery, and the River Walk Expansion, etc.).

Funny story about when I lived in MP - I had some out-of-town friends who wanted to visit me while here on business - I told them to meet me at Cool Crest Mini-Golf, we'd play a round in that wonderful time capsule, then go to Tip Top (which I still frequent often, BEST chicken fried steak in town, hands down), then to my casa for drinks, etc., well, after their GPS sent them to Cool Crest, they got so scared they opted to meet me at North Star Mall instead (at the Cheescake Fctory no less, they set the GPS to that joint assuming the hood would be safe wherever the Cheeskae fcatory was!). They thought in lived in hell or something. I had to tour them through the nicer parts, and they somewhat got it (they lived in "Bucktown" in Chicago, which had been gentrified for years, so they were ones to talk!)

NOW, that being said, IF I had a choice of living outside the loop in a new McMansion or a in little 20/30's Spanish Revival bungalow in MP - I would choose that lil' bungalow in Monticelllo in a heartbeat!

So here I go again, I'm back to bashing the "looplanders"

Old 08-28-2008, 03:59 PM

22 posts, read 84,488 times
I don't know if other cities are the same, but I do find that SA'ers tend to ask "where you live" or "where you went to high school" -- which gives them a sense of "where you live." I grew up on the Southside and was glad to leave San Antonio, go to college, get a grad degree and move on to another life where I wasn't so connected to being "southside trash." I know, I know...you can't let people's attitudes affect you. But it's tiresome to constantly deal with that attitude.

Of course, you never truly escape. I was visiting the offices of a well-known lobbying firm on K Street in downtown DC several years ago and was introduced to someone who was from San Antonio. Her first question to me was, "Where did you go to High School?" Here we were, negotiating a million dollar contract and she wanted to know where I went to high school. Unbelievable. So it never stops.... I now just say I'm from Austin and people leave me alone. Honestly, I have NEVER had anyone ask where I went to high school in Austin. No joke. [And it makes me look hip at the same time!]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio