Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 06:30 PM

348 posts, read 1,222,558 times

Advertisements

I got home the other night after being out of town for work and noticed a young, tabby type cat lingering around my yard.

I talked to my neighbors nearby and they said this cat is very friendly and seems lost. To top it off, she is de-clawed.

One neighbor suggested we take her to the Humane Society. I haven't seen any flyers posted in the neighborhood and don't know how long she has been hanging around since I have not been home.

Suggestions? Anyone have a similar experience?

This breaks my heart..and I am not a 'cat' person but feel something needs to be done. I gave her water when I was out watering my plants and know the other neighbor gave her some food.

Even my (3) Jack Russell Terriers go crazy when she walks by the front window. It's really LOUD in my house.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 06:39 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,824,723 times
The sweetest cat has the ability to turn a "noncat person" into a "cat person"...has happened to me several times. ;-)

Anyway...the kitty MAY be microchipped so the HS or any vet should be able to scan, get the chip number, and contact the company to see if there's any contact info on file. Unfortunately, there have been instances where a pet has been microchipped, but the owners didn't update contact info with the microchip company.

He/she may have escaped out an opening, but I don't think declawed cats (even if it's just front claws only) should ever be intentionally let outside...my opinion though.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:42 PM

413 posts, read 1,404,473 times
Ya I would definitely try to get her inside, because without claws she has no way of defending herself. I agree with hadleyzoo, see if she is microchiped if not, then take her to the humane society. Or post flyers saying found kitty. I hope she finds her home.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:25 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,224 times
I have been a "cat" person after finding my little stray in a parking lot. Give her/him a chance...I used to think cats were pains.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:39 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,541 times
I too became a cat person when a sweet little stray decided to adopt us. She was not my favourite creature the other night when I was on 3 hours of sleep and she kept meowing in my ear to go outside, but otherwise she's adorable.

I agree with checking to see if it's micro-chipped and keep it inside. A declawed cat isn't going to survive outdoors for long, and it's not likely to be a stray, just lost.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:51 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,363,388 times
Keep her!!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:05 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,023,449 times
You can put her in the "found" section on craigslist for free. That's how I found my basset after some construction people left my back gate open and he got on some lovely scent.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:31 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,810,449 times
Yes, keep it! Just don't bring it to my house! I've got enough of my own. I'm going to put a momma and two kittens on Craig's list myself. Been feeding them since the momma showed up in my backyard pregnant. Cat, if you get low on cats let me know! Sapphire, I usually don't like small dogs but I do like Bassett's. This lovely scent, was it the T-bones on the grill??

Old 09-16-2008, 09:38 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,137,084 times
Keep the cat, & drug the Jack Russels

Old 09-16-2008, 09:38 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,023,449 times
There is nothing small about my bassets! They are about 45-50 lbs each. God only knows what he sniffed--the breed is notorious for getting on a scent and becoming lost far from home. We have to be really careful.

If push comes to shove on the kitty--go see the lady at 9 Lives Books. It's at Summit Parkway and 410--I think that's the exit--over by Loehmann's Village. There is a woman that works there that will see if the owner will take her in and put her up for adoption at the store. I was in there about 2 weeks ago, and they had 3 or 4 cats in a cage in the center of the store that they were adopting out. I told the woman about a black stray I had seen at Culebra and 410 and she was going to go try to trap the cat, have it fixed and put him up for adoption.

If anyone wants to donate small amounts of money or cat food--I would recommend those fine people. They are really nice and they have saved a lot of cats and helped control the population by having them fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio