Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 02:24 PM

306 posts, read 355,124 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I'll be in San Antonio next week for the dental convention and want to know what is it that I MUST SEE!

I realize I'll need to "remember The Alamo", so I can mark that off my list, but what else should I be sure not to miss?

I'm staying near the Riverwalk (like every other tourist) but I'd like to get out and see the city like a native. Any hidden gems? Anything I should avoid?

I'm into contemporary art, love sushi and enjoy shopping. Where can I find the best Tex/Mex food? Where can I find a great selection of watches?

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 02:34 PM

80 posts, read 401,045 times
For contemp art near downtown, check out Artpace Gallery.
They always have artists in residency.
The McNay Museum is not downtown, but if you can get there, it's worth the trip.
San Antonio Museum of Art is also not far from the River.

As far as Sushi, it depends who you talk to and your tastes. Cream cheese vs. Sashimi .

Not sure on watches, but I'm sure there's shops downtown.

Tex-Mex food is everywhere on the Riverwalk. It's not the best in S.A. but it again goes back to your tastes. There's a couple of good options in an area south of downtown called Southtown/King Williams.
A bus trolley can take you there.

Either way, have fun and safe travels.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:04 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,297 times
If you want to see San Antonio I would stay off of the River Walk. It was sold to outside investors years ago. It's mostly franchise places that you can see anywhere. Nothing special just really expensive. For Tex-Mex food near downtown you might try Rosarios just south of downtown. Will you have a car or will you have to rely on hired transportation? I am somewhat confused as to why you want to make sure to visit a watch store while you are here. Are we somehow famous for our great watch shops? Are you a watch collector? Just need a watch? The area around Mi Tierra's restaurant is pretty cool for tourists. The last time ate there though it was just OK.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:35 PM

734 posts, read 3,015,619 times
A fun area is Brackenridge Park, Japanese Tea Gardens and the Witte Museum. I wouldn't say they are "Must see" but there is a great Sushi/Japanese restaurant right by there - Koi Kawa.

Along Broadway is good shopping, heading into Alamo Heights and then north of the Witte is the McNay Art Museum.

There is another area of town that has an Art museum and a fun nightlife. There is the Blue Star Brewery and the adjoining Blue Star Arts Complex Blue Star Arts Complex - San Antonio, Texas. La Tuna is near there too, and a great place to eat!

I'm not as informed about all the areas downtown, but this is a great place!

Old 10-10-2008, 03:36 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
For TexMex breakfast or lunch, head to Taco Haven on S. Presa (take the blue line trolley, you'll have to walk a few blocks). Their tortillas are the best. Rosario's is good TexMex for dinner.

Agree with the Art suggestions, there are also a few galleries at Blue Star - also a brewery. The buildings behind hold many independent, contemporary artists. However they're not always open as they tend to be people's homes.

My favourite sushi is Nikki's on Hildebrand. Short on atmosphere but amazing on food.

I love the Missions - best is to rent a bike at Blue Star and head down the Mission trail. Lovely parks in between. If you have to pick only one, San Jose is the most restored but tiny Espada is really unique, San Juan Capistrano has a wonderful nature trail, and Mission Concepcion, nearest to downtown, is a real gem.

I like San Antonio history so I'd suggest a walking tour of the downtown historic sites - St Joe's Church, Casa Navarro, Spanish Governor's "Palace", City Hall.

Head to the N/S stretch of the Riverwalk - away from the restaurants, south through King William or north. Beautiful and peaceful.

There's lots more...

Old 10-10-2008, 03:56 PM

306 posts, read 355,124 times
I am somewhat confused as to why you want to make sure to visit a watch store while you are here. Are we somehow famous for our great watch shops? Are you a watch collector? Just need a watch?
____

Thanks for the response ...

I've made it a point to buy a watch whenever I go to a new city as a souvineer. I have watches from all over the US and I'm really looking forward to adding to my collection.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:58 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
There is a watch store on....Houston St I think, not far from Broadway. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I always walk around and see it, but since I never go in, not sure exactly where it is.

There's a nice jewelry store in La Villita, but I'm not sure how they are for watches.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:39 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
There is a watch store at Shops of La Cantera (far northwest side) but it may not be what you are looking for. Lots of the popular mid to high end watches (from Hamilton up to Rolex and beyond). But you could probably find something like that in any major city.

A more central place is the Time Shop on Broadway in Alamo Heights. It's more like a small jeweler.

Of course my own favorite is WalMart because I buy mostly Timex and water/sports type watches.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:00 AM

504 posts, read 1,457,268 times
if in Southtown, visit Tito's Mexican Restaurant and forget Rosarios and China Latina. Taco Haven is also great as mentioned above.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:47 AM

944 posts, read 3,062,912 times
The missions are the only "must see" that I can think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio