Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 11:20 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,780,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasWeatherman View Post
Wow. I skimmed through every response. Some folks complained about the SAPD. Others complained about parents not raising their kids right. I see no mention of...

1) San Antonio's sanctuary city status invites people to the city whose first act in this country was to break the law (all those "undocumented workers" without whom lettuce would cost a thousand dollars a head)

2) MS 13 - Anybody wanna guess how many are in SA?

3) San Antonio's position along a prime drug/human smuggling route

4) San Antonio's proximity to a very poor country rampant with corruption

Think people.
I'm sorry, but I think you're laying too much of this on Mexicans. All four of your points are Mexican related. I am not Mexican or Hispanic, and I find that highly offensive. God only knows how anyone who is feels when they read that.

Just to let you know, there are multiracial gangs in San Antonio. Human smuggling/drug smuggling have very little to do with murders or crimes in San Antonio. If you understood what those two things entitled, you'd probably understand better.

Being a sanctuary city also has very little to do with it. Why? Because most of these crimes whether they be violent or property are committed by citizens of the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 04:27 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreekPotato View Post
It wouldn't be the first time. I'm not exactly a fan of The Castle Law in Texas.
Unless you decide to break into someone's home you should not be affected by it either.....but those of us that DO have and WILL use our weapons to protect our lives have the right to do so...there is proactively doing something about it. I promise NOT to shoot you (or anyone else) unless you are breaking into MY home!

Old 10-12-2008, 04:33 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
Over 2,200 police officers isn't enough for you?

What does infrastructure have to do with the problem or solution?
And how many people would GLADLY step into the voting booth and vote YES on the funds to cover this increase in services??? Again, the average Joe with NO involvement in crime ,drugs , spousal abuse significant others, gang activities can go about their daily routine without being affected by these activities except by watching the 10pm news.

I agree with Sapphire on this one...where is the OUTRAGE at the number of people that beat, kill their OWN CHILDREN in this city...THERE is a REAL problem that everyone seems to feel does not apply to them, so it is not an issue.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:50 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreekPotato View Post
The Castle Law is a state law allowing you to use deadly force to protect anything within the limits of your property line and in some instances the property lines of your neighbors. In Houston, a man killed two people with his shotgun over a a few electronics.
Why don't you simplify it more? Why don't you say they were unarmed and innocent?

The truth of the matter with Joe Horn was that he called 911 and the cops didn't show up in time (well, one did, but he sat in his car and did nothing to stop the criminals). Also, Horn confronted the two illegal aliens who had histories of criminal behavior and drug use when they rushed him. You also seem to forget that the entire incident was put before a Grady Jury and they acquitted Horn. And that the one police officer on the scene, who witnessed the shootings, testified on Horn's behalf!

No, you forgot all that in a feeble attempt to make an anti-gun statement. Well, let's look at the facts, we've had Castle Doctrine in Texas for over a year and there has yet to be one instance where a homeowner defended his life, family or property and was convicted of wrongfully using lethal force. The average 911 response time is 6-10 minutes, and for those of us outside the city limits the police response time can be much greater. A lot can happen in two minutes, and being able to defend yourself may be the difference between life and death.

When Texas passed concealed carry and Castle Doctrine laws, there were some who claimed the streets will flow with blood from Western-style shoot-outs. Wow, neither happened. What has happened has been that crime rates have gone down both times. Do yourself a favor and actually educate yourself on the facts, a good source of information to debunk the myths of gun control is Gun Facts. These people went out and collected evidence the contridicts the propaganda that lobbies such as the Brady Campaign spew out. I have never seen a counter by the anto-gun lobby to this study, I guess when confronted with facts the best thing they can do is .

Also understand that gun laws don't stop the criminals from having guns, they only stop law-abiding citizens from being able to defend themselves. And the criminals love the gun laws, it makes their lives safer! It reminds me of
this video, which, although a parody, actually strikes home a very important point. And as we have recently seen in DC vs Heller, the Supreme Court realizes that people have a Constitutional right to defend themselves.

It always makes me laugh that the place with some of the strictest gun laws in the nation has been the murder capital of the country for numerous years!

Sure, I would prefer that I could count on the police to do so, but the SAPD is way undermanned and the Bexar County Sherriff's Dept is spread pretty thin as well. But more cops won't completely fix the problem, what we actually need are more people like Joe Horn who will risk their lives to defend their neighbors. I know everyone cannot be a sheepdog; but for God's sake the sheep need to quit trying to make it more easy for the damn wolves!

Cheers! M2

Old 10-12-2008, 09:12 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
the average Joe with NO involvement in crime ,drugs , spousal abuse significant others, gang activities can go about their daily routine without being affected by these activities except by watching the 10pm news.

I would bet my bottom dollar that the persons in SA who have broken into my car, attempted to break into my home or who mugged me on the River were either on or involved in drugs or gang activity.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:27 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
I would bet my bottom dollar that the persons in SA who have broken into my car, attempted to break into my home or who mugged me on the River were either on or involved in drugs or gang activity.
There are a lot of us who have been victims of crimes such as you've mentioned. We're talking about the crime of murder, aren't we? You're still pretty safe, unless you happen to have a spouse--then your odds are probably much worse, and if you become pregnant, your odds go way up. Again, most murder victims know their killers. This is from WOAI, this morning:

We looked at San Antonio murder statistics. Last year at this same time there were 103 murders in San Antonio, compared to 96 so far this year. Police say most murders are not random; victims usually know their attackers.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:51 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Very good point, Sapphire! People act like these are random acts of violence; but truth be told the first suspects, and usually the killer, are usually connected to the victim.

And Paka also made an excellent point, people who don't try to break into houses, or threaten people or their families, have nothing to fear from Castle Doctrine or Concealed Carry. The ones that need to fear it are the criminals, as now they have more than the police to worry about.

And apparantly they do, as in Texas, murder rates fell 50% faster than the national average in the year after their concealed carry law passed. Rape rates fell 93% faster in the first year after enactment, and 500% faster in the second. Assaults fell 250% faster in the second year (Bureau of Justice Statistics, online database, reviewing Texas and U.S. violent crime from 1995-2001).

CHL holders are responsible individuals, trained and certified by the state. In Texas, the general public is 14 more likely to commit a crime than a CHL holder. They are also five times more likely to commit a violent crime (An Analysis of the Arrest Rate of Texas Concealed Carry Handgun License Holders as Compared to the Arrest Rate of the Entire Texas Population”, William E. Sturdevant, PE, September 11, 1999). Compared to the entire population, Texas CHL holders are about 7.6 times less likely to be arrested for a violent crime (Texas Department of Corrections data, 1996-2000, compiled by the Texas State Rifle Association, www.tsra.com/arrests.htm (broken link)).

Do your homework, people, and quit believing the propaganda and disinformation being disseminated without supporting evidence!

Cheers! M2

Old 10-12-2008, 11:18 AM

944 posts, read 3,063,572 times
I agree with you, KGB, about the police.

I live in the apartments near I-10 and Huebner, and am often up late. This happens a lot, but this past Thursday I went on a walk around hte complex at 2:00 am. Across the street in the empty AMC theater parking lot were parked four police cars; the cops were leaning against their cars, chatting. I went inside and came out 45 minutes later to empty the trash, and they were still there hanging out like the teenagers they should have been protecting us from!! Something definitely could be done about that.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:51 PM

140 posts, read 508,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post

Gangbangers killing each other is a waste, but they're doing it, for the most part, to themselves. The murders that I think are appalling and we need more community outrage about is the young mothers and their boyfriends who kill their babies. Don't even get me started.
Welcome to my world Sapphire! I totally understand what you are saying, realistacally I could care less if gangbangers wanna shoot them selves up or whatnot however, I do have some SERIOUS issues with women letting their boyfriends kill their children. Why can't that be stopped?

Old 10-12-2008, 02:31 PM

504 posts, read 1,457,604 times
you guys will be happy to know that we will soon get a training academy for high school students interested in becoming fire and police personnel. it is a platform used in phoenix that has worked well with them in the past.

it will hopefully be in district 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio