Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 02:29 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,837,531 times

Advertisements

Any business that is in advertising is ultimately selling to the consumer even if it gives its product away. Advertisers will not pay for space or time if the reputation is damaged.

CDF is selling to everyone one of us, even if it doesn't like to admit it. If we don't come to this site and post and choose to go elsewhere, then CDF suffers, just as WOAI suffers because it carries the baggage of being a NBC affiliate.

I wish them good luck over there. My aunt had a best friend who was the front door receptionist. I bet she worked there for close to 35 years.

I use to work with the NBC affiliate in St. Louis and many of the people behind the seen had been around for a good 20-30 years there as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 02:32 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,103,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Bowie:
I have to disagree with you. WOAI is selling to the consumer. They are selling their image!!!
I can understand why you would see it that way.

I've never forgotten the 1-sentence definition of the business of broadcasting that I learned way back in college, because it explains so much about the decisionmaking process and the pecking order at a station. The business of broadcasting is "selling audiences to advertisers."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Doesn't every business ultimately have a "consumer"? So, in the case of a tv or radio station, their "consumer" is their advertisers, who will only purchase advertising if the "image" is one that will be conducive to bringing them customers.
You've got the idea. Instead of being consumers of their product, consumers are their product. Advertisers are their customer.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:47 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,837,531 times
Bowie:
We're both right. But they are also trying to create or maintain an image. If they don't have a good image, people don't come and they lose numbers and they have to down grade their price to the advertiser. Back in the 50's and 60's the networks had no competition and they didn't have to sell as hard. Today, the consumer has a lot of choices and it makes it tough on the networks and their affiliates. The numbers can't be looking nice. I can't remember the last time I looked at a NBC affiliate. Had to be about the time I worked in St. Louis.

I probably haven't looked at WOAI since mid to early 90's.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:54 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,943,222 times
Mac will be missed. I'm a bit surprised at the move, actually, but if it's time for him to move on, then so be it. Channel 4 will never be the same in the mornings. I take it that Steve Linscomb will probably stay on the weekends, but you never know. Even though I watch everyone whenever I visit SA, I always made it a point to catch Shelly and Mac on the 4's. We'll see what happens now.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:37 PM

734 posts, read 3,015,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
You must not watch the news very often if you're not familiar with NISD spokesman Pascual Gonzalez. There's always something happening in the NISD and I would venture that the guy makes on-camera appearances in at least half of this city's weekday newscasts.
That's an assumption that isn't true. I do watch news. I guess I just always equated Pascual with someone who has a real job - like a PR person. I didn't think his main job was to make appearances. After reading Maclovio's bio, I see that he was a Professor of Communications, so I assume he will be doing more than just being a spokesperson at EISD - he'll probably be integral in their PR/Media dept at the district. I think it's great he'll be using his talents and notoriety to help a school district.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:30 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,364,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Bowie:
We're both right. But they are also trying to create or maintain an image. If they don't have a good image, people don't come and they lose numbers and they have to down grade their price to the advertiser. Back in the 50's and 60's the networks had no competition and they didn't have to sell as hard. Today, the consumer has a lot of choices and it makes it tough on the networks and their affiliates. The numbers can't be looking nice. I can't remember the last time I looked at a NBC affiliate. Had to be about the time I worked in St. Louis.

I probably haven't looked at WOAI since mid to early 90's.
For local news I really don't care what affiliate they are. It's local....and the local personalities make or break the local viewer ratings. Mac is one of them.

Now national broadcasters are another story. I don't equate them as being the same. WOAI is tops in SA in my opinion....but again, only the local affiliate. I change the channel when it's 5:30....that is IF I even watch any of it.

Jules..."grandchildren consumers!"....PRICELESS!

Old 10-18-2008, 09:28 PM

546 posts, read 3,104,342 times
All I know is that Maclovio Perez has extremely tiny ears.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:04 PM

57 posts, read 158,981 times
Wow, that's too bad that Maclovio is leaving...again. He was the weatherman at one of the local broadcasting stations in Corpus Christi up until a few years ago (KIII I think.) We hadn't heard where he was going, then discovered he was here when we moved up from the coast last fall. He will definitely be missed!

Old 12-18-2011, 03:16 AM

2 posts, read 20,711 times
Since Ursula Pari took him to the cleaners after their divorce, he hadn't been much for the groceries.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:39 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,045,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Voice View Post
Since Ursula Pari took him to the cleaners after their divorce, he hadn't been much for the groceries.
She was married to Beamer? Holy cow. No wonder he was such a stuck up pos!

Guess I hadn't been much for the grocieries if I hadn't been much with Ursula, either. Hadn't been lost 50 lbs., either. Depression....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio