Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 10:44 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,014,685 times

Advertisements

Well, I do live here so it's not such a big deal for me, but I was wondering what you guys thought as far as which hotels / resorts were the best in the area for visitors? I really am interested in the Wow! factor, but other things like service, price, interior resturants, etc... also. I have family that occasionally make the trip here, and I want to know where to put them up when they are in for Christmas, or other occasions because we are kinda big on our home privacy unless it's just the parents or siblings. Plus I think most of the family and friends like staying closer to town anyway. A couple I really would like to hear your thoughts on are the Westin La Canterra, and Hyatt Hill Country because they are closer to us, but post away! I think this might help others traveling here too who read because this is such a big tourist destination. Oh! don't forget good B&B's also!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 11:44 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,060,853 times
St. Anthony downtown is always good.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:40 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,377,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
St. Anthony downtown is always good.
The St Anthony is also a historic hotel and has been completely renovated. Great choice.

TXAgg....price range is probably important. There are some awesome choices, but some can get very pricey....ok..just about anything downtown on the river is pricey.

As far as the two mentioned....you can't go wrong with anything "Westin"...except spend a LOT of money there. Both places have excellent reputations....and definitely convenience to your locale is a plus. They are "resorts" however, and may come with a lot of extras your visitors may not have a chance to enjoy if they are only going to stay for a day or two.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,136,542 times
The Westin LC is a great place to stay, and the location just keeps getting better with all of the shopping and dining options nearby.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:58 PM

394 posts, read 1,507,173 times
When DH and I were here last year looking for a house we stayed at the Hyatt Hill Country. I was lovely, however we did not take full advantage of what they had to offer though as we were on a mission to find a home in a short period of time. We were there for five days and the service was excellent, rooms were great etc. as well as the location....beautiful landscaping etc. Kinda felt as if we were really out in the "hill country". Recently I saw on the news that it was listed as being included in the top 500 Hotels in the world. Can't remember who compiled the list though.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:40 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,205,097 times
I stayed at the Crocket Hotel twice and enjoyed it there very much. I heard it was renovated a few years ago.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:23 PM

409 posts, read 1,562,491 times
La Mansion and The Watermark are both beautiful hotels on the Riverwalk! We have stayed at Hyatt Lost Pines in Bastrop, sister property to Hil Country Resort here and it was also fabulous!

Old 12-22-2008, 06:45 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,014,685 times
I drove by the Hyatt Lost Pines on my way to College Station not long ago and didn't get the chance to drive in. Impressive all the growth in the Bastrop area. Too bad it's a bit too far a drive for the family to stay...lol. As for price, doesn't matter. Im looking for whatever is the nicest, and will show family the best all around experience. Do any of you know any of the specifics on these locations? Factors that attract you to them more than the run of the mill Marriotts, Hiltons, and Holliday Inns? I stayed at the new Hyatt a couple months ago durring the Realtor Convention but wasn't all that impressed. Too commercial, and not all that "rememberable". I have heard the Menger Downtown is great, and has an awesome fun history, anyone know?? I've seen the Crockett several times, but know nothing about it. La Mansion is where I stayed with my family as a kid, and still my personal favorite in downtown. Anyway, thanks for all of the info so far!!!

Old 12-23-2008, 02:25 PM

667 posts, read 1,568,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
I really am interested in the Wow! factor, but other things like service, price, interior resturants, etc... also. I have family that occasionally make the trip here, and I want to know where to put them up when they are in for Christmas, or other occasions because we are kinda big on our home privacy unless it's just the parents or siblings. A couple I really would like to hear your thoughts on are the Westin La Canterra, and Hyatt Hill Country because they are closer to us, but post away!
I have stayed at the Westin here and it was a wonderful experience (in the summer)!! The service was impeccable, the pools were amazing (separate adult pool and hot tub) as was the poolside service. I even snuck into the kids' pools and went down the kiddie slide, so much fun! The grounds were so beautiful; my husband and I ended up taking lots of pictures of each other all over the property. We went for his birthday and really enjoyed every moment of it. Only caveat I would add is that I think the main restaurant closes one day/week (you should check) which happened to be the night we had planned to go so I cannot comment on their food service.

I have "visited" the Hyatt HC Resort here (family stayed there so we only visited them while they were guests) and it was very nice as well but seemed more "convention" and family-oriented. If that's what you're going for then that should hit the spot!

Old 12-23-2008, 07:01 PM

10 posts, read 47,390 times
I would definitively go with the Westin LC. Beautifull place, great grounds, great restaurants... they actually have 4 restaurants and a starbucks! And it does indeed get better with all the shoppings around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio