Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 05:40 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,554,034 times

Advertisements

My question mainly pertains to NISD, but if the programs in NEISD or others are similar I SURE welcome your input as well! (slaleman ~ where are you??!!!! )

I've always prided myself on having average/normal kids. Not at all one of those that brags on how smart, or "gifted" they are. Although they've all done well in school and usually are on honor roll, I just didn't feel like they are "genius" or anything like that.

Well, I'm now really wondering about all this G/T stuff. My 3rd grader and 1st grader are noticing it at school quite a bit and they don't understand why the kids in their class who don't get as good of grades as them are in the G/T program or are testing for it. I just figured that if their teachers felt like they should be in the program, they'd let me know. But now I'm hearing that the parents have to "nominate" them????

I'm so confused. How does the program work and really ~ what does it do? Should I even be concerned with it at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 05:51 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
My son (NISD) was "nominated", I guess you call it, by his 4th grade teacher. They sent home a long questionnaire to be filled out by me, regarding his creativity, attention span, interests, etc. Apparently, I answered something in the wrong way, or he did at school, because that was the last of it. We got a letter a few weeks later saying he wasn't chosen. I think he's gifted, so that's all that matters to me.

This year (6th grade) he's in advanced (AP) math, and he's on the honor roll, in the band (1st chair baritone) and I couldn't be more proud. I imagine if he had been chosen for G/T (they call it something else--Alpha? if I remember correctly) I would know what the benefits are, but honestly, he's doing so well that I don't even care anymore.

If you're interested, I would pursue it with your girls' teachers--especially if your daughters recognize that they may be more "gifted" than the other kids.....they probably are!

Old 12-04-2008, 06:01 PM

Sanx, BFF!!! That helps! If the teachers are able to "suggest" it, then I'm relieved that it's not just that I'm not noticing it 'cause I'm just too dense. (Heck, I enjoy swattin' flies, apparently!! )

Main thing, I guess, is that my girls (particularly the 3rd grader) are questioning why their friends get to go to "the cool class where the smart kids go" and they don't.

But I guess if the subject isn't "taboo", I can ask their teachers about it. (Fortunately, they both have GREAT teachers again this year!! I LOVE my girls' school! )

Old 12-04-2008, 06:23 PM

604 posts, read 1,530,504 times
hey guys--uh girls... my son has been in the GT program his 2nd, 3rd ,4th and 5th grade-- and I will be honest with you--the only advantage I see is the "prestige" and perhaps the challange for the child. My son is ADHD- so he really needs the challange, he has been tested by the Stanford testing and scored 98% in the nation for his age ( yes--I'm a proud mamma) but the only thing I see that is different for the GT kids is that they have more homework--a lot in my opinion, to the point that I have considered taking him out, but he was insisting he not be taken out- which I think is because they (the GT kids) also like the prestige. It may also look better on college applications.. I think I would ask your kids, if they think they are up for the added work- then go to the teacher and insist they be tested.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:53 PM

436 posts, read 1,613,856 times
I was one of those "alomst smart enough" kids. And, in elem. school, I did want to be in the same class as my friends. When we got to middle and high school, we had some of the same classes together- mainly math and science. Math, admitedly, is not my strong suit, but it was a bit disheartening to work hard for my low to mid Bs while my GT friends hardly cracked a book and got As. Not saying that would happen to your girls, but it did make me glad I was not in all my classes with them.

So, in a nutshell, I went the honors/AP route instead of GT/AP route.

And you know what? My GT friends and I wound up at the same colleges (and I was the one who got the scholarships!!), we all had about the same class rank (within 5-10 people in a class of 550+), and I had a lot less pressure for 10 years. And I still got to hang out with them.

So, if your girls get into GT, that's fantastic. But if not, they may not regret it later.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:08 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,554,994 times
Students can be nominated for GT by teachers or parents. Generally, cumulative records are reviewed for prior standardized testing, as well as looking at current work habits. Students are then given several standardized tests. In our school (NEISD), if a child's score does not fall in the "GT" range (generally above 95%), then no further testing is done.

Some kids may feel that they are missing out, but the push is on to offer more higher order thinking, and "out of the box" type challenges to all students. And, the GT kids do not always have the highest grades in the class! GT is usually a pullout class, perhaps 20% of their total classroom time.

In short, don't worry if your child isn't in GT...

Oh, and the GT kids always wonder what they missed when they were out of my classroom!!

Last edited by pobre; 12-04-2008 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: CD "*" out an abbreviation, misreading it as a bad word!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:34 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,541,694 times
Just curious, at what class level do they start looking at kids for the gt program?

Old 12-04-2008, 07:45 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,554,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygreeniii View Post
Just curious, at what class level do they start looking at kids for the gt program?
NEISD has programs for K on up. However, at the lower grades, there is much less time spent. But a student can enter any year (and, conversely, may not qualify from one year to the next).

A clarification...GT is not about being "smart", or knowing all the answers...it's about a different way of thinking/looking at things. Not being in the program doesn't mean your child doesn't have gifts or talents...being in it doesn't mean they are superior.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
NEISD has programs for K on up. However, at the lower grades, there is much less time spent. But a student can enter any year (and, conversely, may not qualify from one year to the next).

A clarification...GT is not about being "smart", or knowing all the answers...it's about a different way of thinking/looking at things. Not being in the program doesn't mean your child doesn't have gifts or talents...being in it doesn't mean they are superior.
Thanx pobre! That's a GREAT clarification!!! (Now if we could just get the kids to understand that! )

Thanx so much to everybody for your input! It's so much clearer now.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:59 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,541,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post

I do understand that. The whole "different way of looking at things" describes my oldest very well. Although I want her to do well in school, (way to early imo to judge how she will do) I certainly don't want to push her too hard. However, I also want her to be challenged. I asked the question because I figured she had some time before accelerated classes/AL would even be an issue. Or the issue may be that some of her friends move on to different classes and she doesn't and I would like to be able to explain that to her. (I am a newby at this )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio