Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2008, 11:13 PM

242 posts, read 665,658 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were on our way to a Christmas party around 6:30 this evening (Friday). We noticed a lot of traffic traveling north on Grosenbacher. As we got close to 1604, we noticed that traffic was backed up down to Potranco, and that that road, as well, seemed to be very congested. We assumed that the cars we saw traveling north were trying to divert whatever was happening down there. Does anyone know what was going on? I traveled down Potranco earlier this afternoon, and I got stuck in traffic as well at that time. Is there construction going on near 211? News didn't have anything that I saw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 04:55 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
Friday's are bad for traffic and they will only get worse as Christmas approaches. There was an accident in the area around 6:00 PM, but the traffic you saw was just the result of exploding population growth all trying to live off a two lane used to be country road. Our county planners in action again..

Old 12-14-2008, 08:15 AM

116 posts, read 472,638 times
Saw two little red imports that got into an argument.. neither one won. Their twisted carcasses were positioned in a spot that basically blocked a lane no matter which way you were going, south on 1604, east on Potranco, or west on Potranco... was a mess.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:09 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,506,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOregon View Post
Saw two little red imports that got into an argument.. neither one won. Their twisted carcasses were positioned in a spot that basically blocked a lane no matter which way you were going, south on 1604, east on Potranco, or west on Potranco... was a mess.
so theese jerks stopped on the road to argue or did the crash? dam them! why in the hell must they think they are fast? Leave that crap for the the track theres one in Marion or I guess they dont want to get embarassed there. I guess we can thank Paul Walker and his Fast and the Furious movie franchise for that.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:23 PM

242 posts, read 665,658 times
I also noticed today that they have apparently cut the speed limit on Potranco outside 1604 to 55 mph. We figure they must have changed the signs sometime on Friday. Perhaps the trucks doing the sign changing, as well as the reduced speed, also contributed to the backup we witnessed.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:26 AM

the Potranco speed limit doesn't really matter because nobody goes much over 35 on it and it's seriously annoying.
BTW, I think that argument between cars was actually a fight, as in a crash. If it was two guys arguing then they would deserve an 18 wheeler up their.....

Old 12-17-2008, 08:31 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,178,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Our county planners in action again..
In which respect-- the fact that it's still a two-lane road, or the fact that development has been allowed there?

Old 12-17-2008, 08:49 AM

both

Old 12-17-2008, 09:03 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,178,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
both
As far as allowing development, the county can do nothing. Counties in Texas have extremely limited powers to control development. If the area is within the city's ETJ (which I'm sure this area is), the city has some additional powers, but still not a lot. If a project meets zoning, water, plating, and environmental regulations, neither the city nor county can deny it. If you don't like that, then petition your legislators to change the law. But Texas is a serious property-rights state, so the chances of any significant changes are pretty slim.

As for the road issue, that will be corrected in time. As I tell people time and time again, it's not a failure to plan. The city, county, and TxDOT all have lots of plans on the books to solve most all of our traffic problems. The problem is funding. Road projects are expensive, and for govenment to build everything that was needed, our taxes and/or new home prices would be outrageous.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:16 AM

interesting, I did not know all of that.
I'll change my blame to the people that buy into all of the developments out there then, even though I know that won't do any good. My neighborhood has been out there for over 20 years and when I moved out there it was basically the end of civilization. I miss those days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio