Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 01:36 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times

Advertisements

The whole situation was, there was a car wreck that had just happened, so the fire dept had just been dispatched to that one, the people in the house were unaware of the fire, apparently a charger for a kids car, one they ride in, overheated the plug in the garage and voila, fire. Maybe I'm wrong, but this house was probably built before the city annexed and got either bad wiring by some cheap electrician, or, they overloaded the plug with too many items. Also, they didnt notify 911 until that part of the house was very much under way in flames. Normal response time should have been about 5 or 6 minutes, due to the afore mentioned wreck, which took presidence, ie, first come, first served, and the location of the emergency, the house was a complete loss in the 11:41 it took them to get there. That's part of the risk the people took when they bought into a rural area, knowing full well that emergency services were further away. They pay not to hear the sirens of police and ambulances and fire engines all hours of the day and nite. Yes, it's terrible when they need them, but, thats the gamble they took when they CHOSE to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 01:40 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,352 times
^^ ditto. Not to mention, geez - everyone got out, all are safe - they should thank their lucky stars.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:46 PM

330 posts, read 1,372,711 times
I have no problem with how the fire station handled the situation; it sounds like they did everything they could, and sometimes circumstances are beyond their control. That being said, I also have no problem with the residents questioning an 11-minute plus response time. The residents have a right to be angry that it took that long, and to do what they can to improve future fire responses.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:01 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzy View Post
I have no problem with how the fire station handled the situation; it sounds like they did everything they could, and sometimes circumstances are beyond their control. That being said, I also have no problem with the residents questioning an 11-minute plus response time. The residents have a right to be angry that it took that long, and to do what they can to improve future fire responses.
Put up money for a new fire station within their gates?
Put up money for more firefighters/trucks at their nearest station?

This is a problem in all newer developments in formerly rural areas. No one wants to live near a fire station and hear sirens all the time, but god forbid they actually need the fire department, there's only so fast one can get there.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:05 PM

330 posts, read 1,372,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I'm sure if we asked the Dominion residents, they'd say the extra tax dollars they're already paying should go towards those things.

Honestly, I'm not really sure what can be done. The part of the story that seemed odd to me was that the two nearest stations (which presumably includes the one right across the street from the Dominion) were already tied up with the accident on Boerne Stage Rd. If an actual fire occurs, shouldn't there be a rule that says, hey, the fire department would serve a better use fighting this fire than acting as paramedics for an accident when there's already EMT's and whatnot on the scene?

I don't know much about the emergency response world though... I hope (and believe) there's a valid reason they don't already do that.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:05 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,911 times
Quote:

This is a problem in all newer developments in formerly rural areas. No one wants to live near a fire station and hear sirens all the time, but god forbid they actually need the fire department, there's only so fast one can get there.

It's most certainly not a problem in all newer developments in formerly rural areas . A lot have stations close by and response time isn't an issue. IMO, it's much nicer living on the edge of town, to not have disturbances by sirens and other noise at all times of the day/night.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:33 PM

40 posts, read 89,988 times
Quote:

Apparently, the city claimed the development of the Dominion with involuntary annexation years ago ( 10 or more) so that they can tax the crap out of them; however, the city FAILED to deliver on their promise to provide all necessary services in a timely fashion. According to the residence in the area, the fire trucks took much longer than the 11 minutes to get to the home( more like 30 minutes). I guess the entrance gate records will elucidate who is correct. I also don't think that all fire trucks from a given substation should be dispached for a single automobile accident if their isn't appropriate and timely coverage for structural fires in that immediate area. All in all, we need better city management. I think the city manager and mayor need to address this problem immediately.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:02 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,059 times
I'd have to say with all the tax dollars that The Dominion throws into the San Antonio pot they should have their own 24hr. maned substation with a couple engines. If the city denies them I'd go about looking to incorporate The Dominion with the State of Texas and forget the City of San Antonio. While they are at it I'd tell the city that they demand a patrol sub station within 2 miles as well. Im sure San Antonio wouldn't have any problems with getting in gear out there if they were in danger of loosing all that tax money.

If that doesn't work, they should go on their own, and put toghter a volunteer station. Im sure sinking all that tax money into themselves rather than San Antonio sinking it into the south, and cenrtal sides would more than make them happy. There are plenty of individuals out there who have the political pull to do such a thing and stick it to the city, given if individuals in The Dominion are willing to take on the responsibilities.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:28 PM

490 posts, read 1,094,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutsa View Post
I also don't think that all fire trucks from a given substation should be dispached for a single automobile accident if their isn't appropriate and timely coverage for structural fires in that immediate area. All in all, we need better city management. I think the city manager and mayor need to address this problem immediately.
Most of the fire stations in town have 1 firetruck. There is a fire station very close to the dominion off I10.

Given the number of traffic accidents everyday, versus the number of fires each year, and the relative number of fatalities and injuries from each, I would suggest that responding to traffic accidents is the most important thing the fire department does.

In the same respect where you think fire trucks should be reserved for fires, what about the 24 fire trucks the aforementioned article quoted that did respond, from all over the city? Should they have left most of those 24 firetrucks at their respective stations? What happens when another fire happens at the same time in another part of the city?

There is a reason these things are called emergencies, nothing about it is perfect.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:50 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,352 times
Wait, what about the fact that this family was not aware their house was on fire until that entire side and the garage was engulfed?

If they had a smoke detector, maybe they could have taken action sooner and the house would not be a loss.

If a person is choking and the EMS is not called until the person is blue, is it the city's fault if the person does not live through the ordeal?

TODAY mu hubby and I went out and purchased a 3rd smoke detector for the house and an extinguisher. Perhaps this family can speak out about fire safety and responsibility instead of whining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio