Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 05:37 AM

173 posts, read 617,525 times

Advertisements

As for the original poster's q's........I think deciding where to live depends on your situation. Are you single or married, got kids or no kids, are you younger or older, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 02:20 PM

5 posts, read 10,998 times
Default Highland Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
I'm moving back to SA in a couple of weeks and I don't know too much about that area (I've lived mostly in Northcentral). Are houses still relatively cheap and spread out, or is it going to become another Stone Oak/Frisco (i.e., typical suburban landscape)?
Try Highland Park. 5 minutes Southeast of downtown. The neighborhood never became rundown. Homes were built between 1910-1950. The homes range from 950- 2,000 sq feet. Examples 1390sq ft for $97,500/3b/1b and 1808 sq ft for $117,000/3b/2b. I teach in the inner city and I have lived in Highland Park for 6 years. It's one of the cities best kept secrets.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:22 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
I would have to agree about Highland Park. I could never convince my husband to even LOOK over there, but it's near where I used to work. A friend and I used to eat at the Highlands Cafe once in a while. I was always impressed with how neat and clean the area was, and I love the old-fashioned style--big front porches, separate garages, etc. I really like that area!

Old 04-25-2007, 07:28 PM

121 posts, read 437,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I would have to agree about Highland Park. I could never convince my husband to even LOOK over there, but it's near where I used to work. A friend and I used to eat at the Highlands Cafe once in a while. I was always impressed with how neat and clean the area was, and I love the old-fashioned style--big front porches, separate garages, etc. I really like that area!
Is Denver Heights part of Highland Park?

Old 04-25-2007, 07:43 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Sorry, I don't know which area comprises Denver Heights. Highland is over near Fair, Clark Avenues off I-37.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:45 PM

36 posts, read 146,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilie View Post
I so agree with you guys, it makes me sad how San Antonio just keeps expanding with surburban sprawl (destroying the hill country while we're at it) instead of people moving back into town and fixing up all the homes, schools, etc. that are already there. Population is definetely moving out of the city or else 9 SAISD schools would not be closing. I understand that it is cheaper to buy a new house in the suburbs than fixing up a run-down one, so i don't know what the solution is. I kind of wish land was more expensive here so it wouldn't be so cheap to keep building new subdivisons and then we'd be forced to move back into the city... but what do i know?
I moved to the NW area from Los Angeles a year ago. We sold a crappy old house on a crummy street in a neighborhood that was declining for an unbeleivable amount of money. Buying here is a blessing and I love it. I am near Braun and 1560 .... What I hate? The continued growth.

I moved with my aged folks and needed to be close to the hospital and all. Which we are convenient enough. But I have the growth. I wish I could freeze it before it becomes like los angeles. ....

Old 04-26-2007, 07:56 AM

Default Highland Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarAllanPogi View Post
Is Denver Heights part of Highland Park?
Highland Park is not part of Denver Heights. IH10 separates these two neighborhoods. Highland Park began after the 1900's which much growth taking place during WWI. Many Polish families from south of Bexar County such as Panna Maria came to work at Brooks AFB. The neighborhood was primarily a Polish one. There are still a lot of old folks still living in the neighborhood. I bought my home from a family who had been living in there for 50 years.

Denver Heights was an economic mix of African-Americans. Many professional African-Americans lived on the East side. Once segregation was done away with many left and the neighborhood began to decline.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:40 AM

Default Monticello Park or the Deco District

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee70 View Post
Hello,

We are considering moving from Seattle, Washington to San Antonio.
What are the neighborhoods like around St. Mary's University? Also, what about the North Central area? We have read a lot of information, however, without being there, it is diffiuclt to know what the neighborhoods are really like. We are looking for affordable and centrally located neighborhoods to rent in and eventually buy ($150,000 range).
You might want to try these two neighborhoods. They are just five minutes away from St.Mary's and downtown. There are many beautiful old homes in the neighborhood. If want to know more about these neighborhoods you can go to www. sanantonio.gov/planning/neighborhoods/near_northwest.asp

Old 04-26-2007, 09:47 PM

142 posts, read 339,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0vemberHAWK View Post
Indeed there are, but, in my opinion, it just doesnt get any better than Stone in the SA area.
You gotta be kidding. Unbearable traffic. Everything is the same age. A creeping and unrelieved sameness and parched, drought stunted trees. Developers gone mad and run amok. LMAO!

Old 04-26-2007, 10:01 PM

142 posts, read 339,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilie View Post
I so agree with you guys, it makes me sad how San Antonio just keeps expanding with surburban sprawl (destroying the hill country while we're at it) instead of people moving back into town and fixing up all the homes, schools, etc. that are already there
Just remember, you read it here first: When gasoline approaches $4.00/gallon and roads are converted into toll roads, the fringe suburbs will IMPLODE and collapse of their own ridiculous weight and location. Cities will contract and people will move back inside of Loop 410. Suburbs will become the "other side of the tracks" and property values there will plummet. Those suburbs are unsustainable from nearly every point of view, but it will mark a tremendous renaissance for the older inner city neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio